Sponsored

BlackVue 900x Dash Cam

HackyMoto

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 (Gray), Toyota Highlander (Gray)
Occupation
Engineer
Good afternoon,

Ma’am got into a wreck last week in her Jeep GC. Fortunately she and my daughter weren’t hurt (well done Jeep) however the car was written off along with the Beemer that hit her. The school run gods must have been looking down on us that day because a fine citizen wrote a statement that stated that the other driver ran a stop sign and the insurer sided with us.

However, we’re wondering how amicable the insurance company would have been without that witness so I’m now looking to install a 900x front and rear dash cam in the replacement vehicle. I might even put one in the Tesla.

I’m curious on reading anyone’s experience with dash cams (specifically BlackVue). With the options (LTE module, Battery, cloud subscription, data plan ) added, the install will cost a pretty penny but thinking it will be worth it in the event of a future incident. Even if the fault lays with us.

Anyone thinking of adding it to the Rivian ? I’ve seen the idea of using the Tesla‘s camera as a dash cam but have also read that‘s not the most ideal dash cam.
Sponsored

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Good afternoon,

Ma’am got into a wreck last week in her Jeep GC. Fortunately she and my daughter weren’t hurt (well done Jeep) however the car was written off along with the Beemer that hit her. The school run gods must have been looking down on us that day because a fine citizen wrote a statement that stated that the other driver ran a stop sign and the insurer sided with us.

However, we’re wondering how amicable the insurance company would have been without that witness so I’m now looking to install a 900x front and rear dash cam in the replacement vehicle. I might even put one in the Tesla.

I’m curious on reading anyone’s experience with dash cams (specifically BlackVue). With the options (LTE module, Battery, cloud subscription, data plan ) added, the install will cost a pretty penny but thinking it will be worth it in the event of a future incident. Even if the fault lays with us.

Anyone thinking of adding it to the Rivian ? I’ve seen the idea of using the Tesla‘s camera as a dash cam but have also read that‘s not the most ideal dash cam.
I have had the Blackvue in my Model Xs since 2015. I think the first one was a 650 and the last was a 900. I do not have the LTE or battery options. They are hardwired into the car and never shutoff. They do go into park mode when idle. I have used the cloud a couple of times, but never really used it.

I love the cameras. I still use it in my X that now has Teslacam. (so I have 6 cameras recording at all times). I used the footage in court to get out of a ticket for no turn signal (He was trying to get me for speeding but that all is all he could come up - and he lost).

I love them so much, I took the front camera out of our 3rd X that we traded in on a Y and now use it as a dashcam in my boat.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've had Dashcams in my cars for years including the Blackvue. It was the first thing I installed when my daughter started driving!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I've had Dashcams in my cars for years including the Blackvue. It was the first thing I installed when my daughter started driving!
Bet she was thrilled about that!

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Ma’am got into a wreck last week in her Jeep GC. Fortunately she and my daughter weren’t hurt (well done Jeep) however the car was written off along with the Beemer that hit her.
Was the motorcyclists okay?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’ve used Blackvue dashcams for years; currently have 3 Blackvue DR750S-2CH cams. Two of those are in my current Ram pickup, with one set of cams monitoring the front and rear and one set each side of the truck. The Blackvues are on the high end (both cost and resolution wise) of dashcams, but I understand them and they have performed well for me. When I take either vehicle out of town I take my iPad along and hide it inside the car overnight while parked at a hotel - then the camera connects to the iPad’s hotspot and I get real time live views of the cameras when I want and they notify me in real time of any shock or impact to the vehicle. I highly recommend https://www.thedashcamstore.com/ in Austin, Texas for all your dashcam needs - I’ve purchased several cams and accessories from them and they’re very knowledgeable and helpful! They’ll also install any dashcam purchased from them at their Austin store. I installed my own dashcams; it’s pretty straightforward if you’ve done any auto electronics work at all.

OP
OP
HackyMoto

HackyMoto

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Last edited:
OP
OP
HackyMoto

HackyMoto

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Suspect he meant bimmer (which is surprisingly hard to type with autocorrect).
Gotta love autocorrect. Where do Apple get their software engineers

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Gotta love autocorrect. Where do Apple get their software engineers
I don't know but hopefully there is no Apple software running on my Android phone. :)

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Bet she was thrilled about that!
Funny story - I was washing the car one day and noticed a big scratch on the passenger mirror and asked her about it. First it was denial, then when I mentioned the dashcam she came clean. I went and watched the video - she drifted off the side of the road in our neighborhood and bumped a fence and just missed a telephone pole!

The funny part was what happened next. She pulled into the fire station parking lot 100 yards up the road and got out and checked for any damage and I heard some cursing as I glimpsed her walking around the car - hahaha.

On a similar note she was driving home one day on the freeway and a delivery truck abruptly cut her off and pulled to the shoulder with no signal. Close call for sure - if something had happened she would have probably been at fault without the dashcam footage.

I've got a a few other choice videos over the years of stupid drivers - lol.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I tow a large trailer and have had a dashcam in my truck for years. Absolutely the best purchase. I’ve caught some fun video but thankfully never had to use it in court. I will be getting one for the R1T as soon as I determine the best mounting location and camera design for the truck.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It seems almost every new vehicle sold includes a forward facing camera. Vehicles like Rivian seem to have rear-facing cameras that record a wide field of view (not just a backup camera) too. Why can't we have dash cam functions built into these vehicles?

Give us a USB port where we can plug in a USB3 SSD and just stream the cameras to the SSD.
Sponsored