First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
A fair summary is that most everyone wants the 400+ mile version, but various tradeoffs will cause many to order the 300+ mile version.
That's probably generally true but there is at least one guy out there who does not want the 180 kWh becuase it is heavier and he thinks more weight leads to less traction! Bean counters whose businesses don't really need the improved range may discard it as they are looking at it from a business perspective and "nice to have" doesn't add anything to the bottom line.

What are you willing to give up to get the longer range?
A year of my life which at my age isn't the same as it is for you younger blokes.

Right now to order the 400+ mile version the list of what you have to give up includes:
  • $10,000
  • Delivery in 2021
  • R1T only (no option for the Max pack on the R1S)
  • Launch Edition (Free wheel upgrade, etc.)
  • Lighter weight, higher performance and some efficiency

If I were to vote in your poll, I would need this choice (or something similar):
I want the 400 mile version, but I am ordering the 300 mile version for a variety reasons. I do/have owned a BEV.​
You could put that under option 1 or 2 without impacting the usefulness of the poll.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
there is at least one guy out there who does not want the 180 kWh becuase it is heavier and he thinks more weight leads to less traction!
Close, but not quite. More weight leads to getting stuck in sand or mud.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
OK then. There is at least one guy who thinks that rolling resistance goes up faster than thrust with increased weight.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
OK then. There is at least one guy who thinks that rolling resistance goes up faster than thrust with increased weight.
It has nothing to do with rolling resistance, it has to do with reduced traction & soft or loose surfaces where vehicles sink or dig in. I have firsthand, practical knowledge & experience on this one.

When it comes to off road, maybe you should temper your theoretical knowledge.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Well where I come from if you don't have enough traction the first thing you do is throw sand bags (or something) in the back. If more weight gives more traction you will move forward more readily unless the greater weight introduces rolling resistance in excess of the extra traction so indeed it does have to do with rolling resistance. That's been my practical experience. Guess yours has been different.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Well where I come from if you don't have enough traction the first thing you do is throw sand bags (or something) in the back. If more weight gives more traction you will move forward more readily unless the greater weight introduces rolling resistance in excess of the extra traction so indeed it does have to do with rolling resistance. That's been my practical experience. Guess yours has been different.
You're thinking in terms of a rigid surface with low coefficient of friction. Skyote is talking about situations where the surface acts more like a liquid than a solid. Makes a huge difference.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I was thinking about snow, sand, mud, slush etc all of which have a high coefficient of friction relative to kimchee or yoghurt but a low one relative to a dry surface. The thrust is T = coeff_fric*slip*weight. If he is operating on/in some substrate with 0 coefficient of friction i.e. where the only upward force is buoyancy then yes, the heavier the vehicle the more liquid it will displace and the lower it will sink. I've never driven in anything like that but if he does.....

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Getting stuck in the mud aside the poll seems to have stabilized

From last summary
88 people have responded so 1 vote swings 1.1%. Keep that in mind
33.0% ± 5.0% of respondents are/were BEV owners
59.1% ± 2.6% of respondents prefer the 180 kWh pack
58.6% ± 9.1% of responding owners want the 180 kWh pack
59.3% ± 6.4% of responding non owners want the 180 kWh pack

Most recent summary:
109 people have responded so 1 vote swings 0.9%. Keep that in mind
33.9% ± 4.5% of respondents are/were BEV owners
58.7% ± 2.3% of respondents prefer the 180 kWh pack
56.8% ± 8.1% of responding owners want the 180 kWh pack
59.7% ± 5.8% of responding non owners want the 180 kWh pack

General conclusions are the same and, of course, the extra votes tighten the confidence a bit.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Over on the Rivian Owners Forum, a couple of users have posted that RIvian CS is saying they are considering offering the Max battery in the Launch Edition. Apparently they are getting lots of feedback that folks want this. So please reach out to Rivian and make sure they are aware of your desire for the Max battery in the LE if that’s what you prefer!

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Over on the Rivian Owners Forum, a couple of users have posted that RIvian CS is saying they are considering offering the Max battery in the Launch Edition. Apparently they are getting lots of feedback that folks want this. So please reach out to Rivian and make sure they are aware of your desire for the Max battery in the LE if that’s what you prefer!
I have my doubts but we'll see. You can never, of course, satisfy everybody but the problem with making the larger pack available to LE subscribers is that it does not benefit the people who really wanted the 400 mile packs to the extent that they decided to forego early delivery in order to get it and so did not order an LE.

A few more votes have come in

Most recent summary:
123 people have responded so 1 vote swings 0.8%. Keep that in mind
35.8% ± 4.3% of respondents are/were BEV owners
58.5% ± 2.2% of respondents prefer the 180 kWh pack
56.8% ± 7.5% of responding owners want the 180 kWh pack
59.5% ± 5.5% of responding non owners want the 180 kWh pack

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I’m sure if they added the MaxPack to the LE now, it would piss off folks who opted out of the LE only because the MaxPack was not an option. I was initially in that group, but changed my config to LE when advised to do so by Rivian CS rep. I can always change it later if they don’t end up offering it in the LE and still maintain my level or priority on a non-LE.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
please reach out to Rivian and make sure they are aware of your desire for the Max battery in the LE
I emailed them today and got the following reply:

"The longer-range SUV will not be announced until after launch. This is due to the feedback we received from our community that a longer-range SUV that couldn’t accommodate three rows of seating just wouldn’t cut it. Due to this, we have revisited the design of the longer-range SUV to have the ability to accommodate both the third row and the larger battery."

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Yeah, I’m sure if they added the MaxPack to the LE now, it would piss off folks who opted out of the LE only because the MaxPack was not an option. I was initially in that group, but changed my config to LE when advised to do so by Rivian CS rep. I can always change it later if they don’t end up offering it in the LE and still maintain my level or priority on a non-LE.
Smart move.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Possible they will make the Launch Edition features available (except priority delivery) for those that configured 400+ versions, but still deliver starting Jan 2022. Free wheel upgrade, interior badging and Launch Green color option.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Possible they will make the Launch Edition features available (except priority delivery) for those that configured 400+ versions, but still deliver starting Jan 2022. Free wheel upgrade, interior badging and Launch Green color option.
That would be a good move on their part!
Sponsored