• Total voters

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I tried searching, but has anyone asked in the chat what they expect the EPA range to be?

300+ is great and all, but is it 305, or is it 350? 350 would be fine for me, especially if the 400+ is significantly more expensive.

Mostly because I’d rather have some options, more than the big battery, given most of my long travel is in our minivan.
Rated range will also depend on the wheel size you select.
Sponsored

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
I tried searching, but has anyone asked in the chat what they expect the EPA range to be?

300+ is great and all, but is it 305, or is it 350? 350 would be fine for me, especially if the 400+ is significantly more expensive.

Mostly because I’d rather have some options, more than the big battery, given most of my long travel is in our minivan.
My CE Rep said the 300+ pack was getting better range than the initially expected. I told her that knowing how much more would impact whether I purchase the Launch or hold out for the larger pack. She promised to inquire and get back to me soon. This was on Thursday.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired

300+ is great and all, but is it 305, or is it 350?
They expect it to be a little above 300 but they won't know until they settle on a configuration they wish to submit to EPA for testing, have EPA accept that configuration and the associated fudge factors and run the test.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Poll summary 18:00 E Sunday:

71 people have responded so 1 vote swings 1.4%. Keep that in mind
35.2% of respondents are/were BEV owners
53.5% of respondents prefer the 180 kWh pack
56.0% of responding owners want the 180 kWh pack
52.2% of responding non owners want the 180 kWH pack

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2

I just wonder if they felt they would sell a lot more R1S models with the larger battery AND the 7 seat configuration? They had difficulty making that work and rather than release the 5 seater only (as promised), they are holding out to make it work for a 5/7 configuration.

Frustrating either way for those of us that only wanted the 5 seater.

Sponsored

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

I'm thinking I will wait for the 400+ mile variant only to give me flexibility with the CCS charging network. It's very immature compared to the Tesla network.
If Rivian was tied into the Tesla charging network I would jump on the 300+ mile model.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I'm thinking I will wait for the 400+ mile variant only to give me flexibility with the CCS charging network. It's very immature compared to the Tesla network.
If Rivian was tied into the Tesla charging network I would jump on the 300+ mile model.
It doesn't appear to me that they are that far behind after playing with ABRP a lot [ comparing R1S vs R1T]!
I would say that the Tesla's network gives a more seamless experience from what I've read.
However this will be my first EV, so maybe people with experience should comment here ....

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
It doesn't appear to me that they are that far behind after playing with ABRP a lot [ comparing R1S vs R1T]!
I would say that the Tesla's network gives a more seamless experience from what I've read.
However this will be my first EV, so maybe people with experience should comment here ....
They may not be too far behind in number of sites, but they are far behind in reliability. They have improved. The other factor is the automatic payment feature for CCS stations. It takes software on both sides, the car and the charger, to implement this and it is still new technology. I do not think any existing EVs have implemented this yet. Today I am stuck using the EA app and it works OK most of the time. But for people without an account their credit card readers never seem to work.

Another general issue is compatibility of the software, everyone interprets the CCS standard slightly differently. When Electrify America first came out with new stations, they did not work with the Chevy Spark, but did work with the newer Bolt. GM and EA had to investigate in order to some up with a software fix. I know that EA now has every EV model, including some prototypes, under testing for all their charger vendors (they have 4 different suppliers of charging stations). I am sure Rivian has provided them with a prototype or maybe even a preproduction one. But the other day someone with a Kia Niro told me they could not charge at an EVGO station or a Charge Point station. But those cars definitely work at EA stations.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

I'm not concerned about around town. I only charged my MS (when I had it) in town once and that was to experience the Tesla SuperCharger. It's the longer drives that I worry about. We drive from a suburb of Phoenix in my MX to Disneyland a couple times a year and SW Colorado and the Tesla charge network makes it easy - not ideal, but easy. The lack of plugs worries me. Thus my desire for the charging options that a bigger battery gives me... and everyone else.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired

Thought it might be a good idea to summarize the voting before the e-mails go out so as of 11:30 AM EST here's the story:

88 people have responded so 1 vote swings 1.1%. Keep that in mind
33.0% ± 5.0% of respondents are/were BEV owners
59.1% ± 2.6% of respondents prefer the 180 kWh pack
58.6% ± 9.1% of responding owners want the 180 kWh pack
59.3% ± 6.4% of responding non owners want the 180 kWh pack

The numbers after the ± signs represent the standard deviations associated with the percentages if they are interpreted as probability estimates. The overall preference for the larger pack (59.1% ± 2.6%) is clearly significant but within the sub groups of owners and non owners not so clear i.e. we can't really draw the conclusion that one of these subgroups favors the larger battery more than the other.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
95 votes in now. No eesntial change in the picture. 3 out of 5 want the larger pack irrespective of whether they have or don't have prior BEV experience.

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
A fair summary is that most everyone wants the 400+ mile version, but various tradeoffs will cause many to order the 300+ mile version.

What are you willing to give up to get the longer range?
Right now to order the 400+ mile version the list of what you have to give up includes:
  • $10,000
  • Delivery in 2021
  • R1T only (no option for the Max pack on the R1S)
  • Launch Edition (Free wheel upgrade, etc.)
  • Lighter weight, higher performance and some efficiency
I would theoretically like the 400+ mile version.
I configured a Launch Edition (to keep this option open - as more info/options become available, this might change).
I've owned BEVs for 7 years

If I were to vote in your poll, I would need this choice (or something similar):
I want the 400 mile version, but I am ordering the 300 mile version for a variety reasons. I do/have owned a BEV.​
Sponsored