Sponsored

Audio system specifics? Amplifier, subwoofer, etc?

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Anyone have more specifics on the Audio system. I like the 360 surround idea and removable speaker, but wonder about specifics -- any amplifier, sub-woofer, or etc. They called out the titanium dome speakers, but not sure on rest. Also, is there any plan for a cover underneath the glass, for example, if someone wants it much darker inside... they can close it? Was def. looking for the 400+ miles and excited to see how close they could get to the 350kw charge rates, but guess that will come with time.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Anyone have more specifics on the Audio system. I like the 360 surround idea and removable speaker, but wonder about specifics -- any amplifier, sub-woofer, or etc. They called out the titanium dome speakers, but not sure on rest. Also, is there any plan for a cover underneath the glass, for example, if someone wants it much darker inside... they can close it? Was def. looking for the 400+ miles and excited to see how close they could get to the 350kw charge rates, but guess that will come with time.
Not yet, but I'm sure the configurator will have more info; amplified sub is table stakes for premium audio even in non "luxury" vehicles, so I fully anticipate there will be at least 1.

I did ask about the location of the removable BT speaker, just out of curiosity, but no answer back yet. Pretty cool & interesting feature...even though I have literally 6-7 different ones laying around already.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I hope its not dissapointing! I have seen time and time again for manufactuers charging for premium Audio when delivered its quite poor performance and specs.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Not yet, but I'm sure the configurator will have more info; amplified sub is table stakes for premium audio even in non "luxury" vehicles, so I fully anticipate there will be at least 1.
I remember asking about this at the Seattle event and, for some reason, I remember him sawing that there will be multiple (maybe 4?) under the rear seat.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I hope its not dissapointing! I have seen time and time again for manufactuers charging for premium Audio when delivered its quite poor performance and specs.
Yeah, the mere mention of bluetooth makes me question just how "premium" it will really be.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Software Engineer

I did ask about the location of the removable BT speaker, just out of curiosity, but no answer back yet. Pretty cool & interesting feature...even though I have literally 6-7 different ones laying around already.
Hah. Isn't that the truth, just like I have a few pairs of headphones laying around too. I'm hoping it comes included as well for the price.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Agreed. I'm somewhere between an enthusiast & audiophile. I was extremely underwhelmed by the kazillion speaker system in my brother's Navigator, so I hope this audio system is more substance than speaker count.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hah. Isn't that the truth, just like I have a few pairs of headphones laying around too. I'm hoping it comes included as well for the price.
Removable BT speaker is included in the Elevation 360 audio system in the LE or Adventure packages.

OP
OP
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Question is... will the speakers be some brand like "Bang and Olufsen" or ... Wondering if there will be a partnership there, as I'm sure Rivian isn't into becoming the leading authority on acoustics ;-) I seem to remember Ford using Sony and BMW using Harmon Kardon. Guess we'll also have to see about if there is any "true" surround sound. They mention " 360°" and precise locations through-out the cabin.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Question is... will the speakers be some brand like "Bang and Olufsen" or ... Wondering if there will be a partnership there, as I'm sure Rivian isn't into becoming the leading authority on acoustics ;-) I seem to remember Ford using Sony and BMW using Harmon Kardon. Guess we'll also have to see about if there is any "true" surround sound. They mention " 360°" and precise locations through-out the cabin.
I was told in Seattle that they will be using a "well known" partner, but they are declining to name them as of this afternoon.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Software Engineer
I was told in Seattle that they will be using a "well known" partner, but they are declining to name them as of this afternoon.
Such secrecy, JK. They're keeping us engaged until all the deets are revealed I suppose. Makes sense about going with a "well-known" partner.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
So far the best I've heard is Bowers & Wilkins, so I'm really hoping its them :D

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
When I asked RJ about this in Mill Valley, I was shocked to get a response that they were leveraging their partnership with Amazon for this. I am hoping he either misunderstood the question or was dancing around details he didn't want to reveal because, frankly, an Amazon engineered audio system is of immense concern to me. Couple that with the possibility that at least some of the speakers may be driven by bluetooth and I start to get really concerned. Hopefully all speakers will be hard wired when in-vehicle and only resort to BT when removed or at least support a higher quality codec if BT full time. The mention of titanium tweeters is interesting but the material is frankly less important than a well engineered implementation. At this point all we really know is that they will have "base" and "premium" variants. Until we can hear it, we simply won't know how premium either system is. I'm not holding my breath for B&O sound quality but hopefully it won't be a disappointment.

Last edited:

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9

A feature was mentioned like that

Rear doors per a motor trend article you linked 2 years ago : )

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/audio-system-details.277/

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rear doors per a motor trend article you linked 2 years ago : )

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/audio-system-details.277/
LOL, I remembered hearing about removable BT speaker option, but that was too many threads & Rivian factoids ago. Good find!

Interesting tidbit from a MotorTrend article from way back when Rivian did their reveal (https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-rivian-r1s-ev-electric-suv-first-look-review/):

"The speakers in the rear doors, meanwhile, pop out so you can have tunes at your campfire"
Sponsored