Audio system details?

Spoonito

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR4, Explorer
Is there any news on the audio system? More curious in the R1S as I would be looking at the SUV over the R1T.

Speaker brand
# speakers
How much power
Different option levels
Etc.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
No details to my knowledge, other than comments from Rivian about providing a high end system.

I too look forward to seeing specs, and I hope there is an option for at least one quality subwoofer.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How have we missed this???
I know, right? It will be cool if this makes production, and makes me wonder if more of the speakers will be self-powered and/or wireless. Not that speakers would be a huge drain on the battery pack, but having their own amps and/or batteries would be interesting. Possibly a glimpse into the future?

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Possibly a glimpse into the future?
I am not saying that it would be easy, but the thought behind it seems simple enough. There are just a few things you would need to make that happen...Fix a small 22wH battery (JBL Charge 3 for reference) to the speaker, a small Bluetooth radio, and a quick-disconnect type removal and installation method similar to the other thread about the charge door...Push on the leading edge of the speaker and pivot it out and then install is reverse of removal. Lastly a cover for the wire harness in the back of the speaker for any type of IP rating and voila.

Last edited:

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
One of the things I want to test with the audio is when you are talking on the phone. Meaning. I have experience Tesla owners on a phone call can be heard from outside the vehicle. I am not sure if these are only early model S’s but it is like being in the car with them when they are on a call.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
One of the things I want to test with the audio is when you are talking on the phone. Meaning. I have experience Tesla owners on a phone call can be heard from outside the vehicle. I am not sure if these are only early model S’s but it is like being in the car with them when they are on a call.
This is most likely a function of their volume setting and not realizing how loud it is outside the car. This certainly isn't isolated to Tesla, I've noticed it with plenty of other brands. I suspect people are jamming to some tunes at a healthy volume when that call comes in and they never bother to turn down the volume. Or if there is a Tesla specific component to this, perhaps it's not so much the audio system but a build quality issue and the audio is leaking out of the structure in much the same way the water seems be leaking in as reported by a number of owners.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
This is most likely a function of their volume setting and not realizing how loud it is outside the car. This certainly isn't isolated to Tesla, I've noticed it with plenty of other brands. I suspect people are jamming to some tunes at a healthy volume when that call comes in and they never bother to turn down the volume. Or if there is a Tesla specific component to this, perhaps it's not so much the audio system but a build quality issue and the audio is leaking out of the structure in much the same way the water seems be leaking in as reported by a number of owners.
I agree with you and I should not have isolated Tesla. True that other manufacturers have a similar problem, but not as noticeable as my experiences with Tesla when I actually informed an owner that I could clearly overhear both sides of her conversations at a Starbucks parking lot. I experienced it with other cars, but it was most significant with Tesla’s. I figure if you pay that price for a Tesla it should be insulated properly. Since Tesla and Rivian are new to building cars it can be an easy oversight and I hope They will read this conversation or know about the possible issue.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Do keep in mind that the volume on the Tesla's goes up to 11.
Sponsored