First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Just got a flyer in my mailbox for a local landscape company that uses nothing but electric equipment. They have battery powered commerical grade zero turn mowers, as well as Ego brand weedwackers, blowers, smaller mowers, etc... It's an interesting idea. Anyone else have local guys doing anything similar?

I thought it would be cool if they used F150 Lightnings as their trailer towing vehicle since they could easily tap into the truck's battery to keep the lawn equipment charged up while driving between jobs.

Anyway, it seems like they are marketing their service based upon it being quiet and eco friendly.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I think most people will still shop for a landscaper based on price, reputation, but in certain areas of the country this could be an effective sales pitch. Here in CO they passed a ban on gas lawn tools for municipal entities starting in 2025. It doesn’t cover commercial landscapers, but HD and Lowes here mostly sell battery tools now anyway.

https://www.cpr.org/2023/12/15/colorado-regulation-gas-powered-lawn-tools/

OP
OP
White Shadow

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I think most people will still shop for a landscaper based on price, reputation, but in certain areas of the country this could be an effective sales pitch. Here in CO they passed a ban on gas lawn tools for municipal entities starting in 2025. It doesn’t cover commercial landscapers, but HD and Lowes here mostly sell battery tools now anyway.

I agree, but I can see people who value the eco friendly concept lean towards a company offering all electric equipment. The noise advantage may also be attractive, but then again, landscapers are usually in and out in a short amount of time.

I take care of my own lawn and I have a bunch of battery powered stuff that works just fine for my one acre lawn. My only gas powered equipment is my zero turn. Everything else is battery powered and it's all super easy to maintain and use.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I think there’s absolutely a market for this in upper-middle class Colorado.

Our local air quality issues get plenty of press, and the outsized contribution of gas lawn equipment is well known among those that follow local news.

Heck, there’s enough people that get upset at the noise from gas lawn equipment.

I’m not saying an all-electric outfit would take over the market. But there is a business there.

Two anecdotes:
1. The business that does many of the sprinkler blowouts in my neighborhood is already using a lightning.
2. I saw a Reddit post from a lightning owner that was having challenges with battery charging for his landscaping business. Apparently the power available from frunk outlets is significantly reduced when the frunk is closed. Enough so to make battery charging impractical.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I think there’s absolutely a market for this in upper-middle class Colorado.

Our local air quality issues get plenty of press, and the outsized contribution of gas lawn equipment is well known among those that follow local news.

Heck, there’s enough people that get upset at the noise from gas lawn equipment.

I’m not saying an all-electric outfit would take over the market. But there is a business there.

Two anecdotes:
1. The business that does many of the sprinkler blowouts in my neighborhood is already using a lightning.
2. I saw a Reddit post from a lightning owner that was having challenges with battery charging for his landscaping business. Apparently the power available from frunk outlets is significantly reduced when the frunk is closed. Enough so to make battery charging impractical.
In most of the front range CO I totally agree this marketing could work.

If I were given a choice between the 2 (gas/ electric lawn care companies) and the price was similar, I would choose the electric every time. My original comment was more thinking about the rest of the public, who might nut be as much of a tree hugger as I am.

I have been an early adopter of battery equipment myself, even before it was very good (underpowered w/ frequent battery swaps). This Brill mower was one of the first available (2005?) and I bought it when we lived in PA for a time. I had to mow like 4 times per week because if I let it grow more than that, the mower couldn't handle it :facepalm: The batteries eventually stopped charging and I bought a better one when we moved back to CO.

Rivian R1T R1S All Electric Landscapers Unknown

Sponsored

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
Our neighbors landscaping company switched to all electric. The owner and his crew love it. At the end of the day they sharpen everything and now, instead of getting gas and oil on themselves, they plug in their batteries. We love it because it is MUCH quieter. Our town banned gas leaf blowers a year ago for noise pollution.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

In most of the front range CO I totally agree this marketing could work.

If I were given a choice between the 2 (gas/ electric lawn care companies) and the price was similar, I would choose the electric every time. My original comment was more thinking about the rest of the public, who might nut be as much of a tree hugger as I am.

I have been an early adopter of battery equipment myself, even before it was very good (underpowered w/ frequent battery swaps). This Brill mower was one of the first available (2005?) and I bought it when we lived in PA for a time. I had to mow like 4 times per week because if I let it grow more than that, the mower couldn't handle it :facepalm: The batteries eventually stopped charging and I bought a better one when we moved back to CO.

Unknown.jpeg
I suspect a lot of the opposition to electric is from the companies that do a lot of HOA work and big commercial spaces.

I’m personally happy with my reel mower. It’s not like we get massive lawn growth here like people do back east. It’s cheaper and simpler than electric, and I’m at the age where my fat add can use a little more exercise anyways.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I suspect a lot of the opposition to electric is from the companies that do a lot of HOA work and big commercial spaces.

I’m personally happy with my reel mower. It’s not like we get massive lawn growth here like people do back east. It’s cheaper and simpler than electric, and I’m at the age where my fat add can use a little more exercise anyways.
You and me both!

OP
OP
White Shadow

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
....Apparently the power available from frunk outlets is significantly reduced when the frunk is closed. Enough so to make battery charging impractical.
What about the bed? I believe the Lightning has several different options to plug in.
Sponsored