First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 / Genesis
Occupation
Product Marketing
I don't need to drive the off road course. I'd be happy to just drive the pavement loop and get to use the menus and play around with the screens.

Also - there were a lot of people who didn't have drive reservations. They were just going out to see the trucks see them for the first time inside and out.

Why would they cancel they opportunity for all those people to see the trucks in person just because the off road course was closed? Doesn't make any sense.
because you could drive to Venice and do all of that but drive the road portion. The course was built, and times scheduled, to take into account the whole course. Given just the road course (and how insane they were about safety) they likely couldn’t fulfill most of the reservations.
Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
because you could drive to Venice and do all of that but drive the road portion. The course was built, and times scheduled, to take into account the whole course. Given just the road course (and how insane they were about safety) they likely couldn’t fulfill most of the reservations.
You can't drive the trucks in Venice and they only have 2 of them. I was there on the first day.

No reason to make excuses for them. They could easily come up with a new drive plan. It's not that hard. I guarantee anyone who was going out to drive the truck would still go even if the off road section was closed.

OP
OP

KWeimer711

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 / Genesis
Occupation
Product Marketing
You can't drive the trucks in Venice and they only have 2 of them. I was there on the first day.

No reason to make excuses for them. They could easily come up with a new drive plan. It's not that hard. I guarantee anyone who was going out to drive the truck would still go even if the off road section was closed.
that’s why I said “all but drive…”

you are the one who said a lot of people were going to just check them out and see them for the first time. My point is that they can still do that.

it’s not about making excuses…it’s providing a logical explanation given your pseudo conspiracy theories

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
that’s why I said “all but drive…”

you are the one who said a lot of people were going to just check them out and see them for the first time. My point is that they can still do that.

it’s not about making excuses…it’s providing a logical explanation given your pseudo conspiracy theories
"pseudo conspiracy theories"? That's a uniquely dumb and lame comment. Even they acknowledge that it's not just weather.

"We’re sorry to inform you that due to recent weather events and other unforeseen circumstances, we’ve had to cancel the remaining days of our First Mile event in Santa Clarita."

Anyone who has worked in automotive events knows you don't cancel an event of this size because of weather that came through 4 days earlier.

Last edited:
OP
OP

KWeimer711

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 / Genesis
Occupation
Product Marketing
"pseudo conspiracy theories"? That's a uniquely dumb and lame comment. Even they acknowledge that it's not just weather.

"We’re sorry to inform you that due to recent weather events and other unforeseen circumstances, we’ve had to cancel the remaining days of our First Mile event in Santa Clarita."

Anyone who has worked in automotive events knows you don't cancel an event of this size because of weather that came through 4 days earlier.
could also be a million things not related to the trucks. Covid could’ve hit the small team running the event. Could’ve been a number of things.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
could also be a million things not related to the trucks. Covid could’ve hit the small team running the event. Could’ve been a number of things.
yes exactly - that's what I said originally. It wasn't just about weather. But you decided I was proposing that it was some big conspiracy theory - which couldn't be farther from the truth. And Rivian's communcation confirms it.

ssiminou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Aston Martin Vantage
I was scheduled for a test drive today (Wednesday) at the First Mile event. Email came yesterday that it was canceled, and I rescheduled it for tomorrow morning (Thursday - there were 2 slots left).

This afternoon, I got a call from CS about scheduling a mobile test drive instead...I was definitely a bit surprised to get the call. I jokingly told her I (wishfully) thought it was the call to confirm my spec and provide an earlier delivery ETA! They're now scheduled to visit my office tomorrow afternoon for what I was told would be a 45-minute test drive with a Rivian drive coach; the CS rep sent me an email afterward to confirm, and it now shows on my Rivian online account.

I asked if First Mile would be canceled tomorrow, and she said that the decision hadn't been made yet. Obviously, for one reason or another, they decided to cancel the whole thing. Maybe it's not as much of a problem with the course as it is getting to the course...perhaps there are still road closures or required clean-up in the area? It seems a better alternative would've been to add more days next week, but I doubt Rivian will disclose the 'real' reasons for the cancellation.

She said only ZIPs in proximity to the event were eligible for mobile drives. I first asked if they could come to my house, but it was out of the zone. I doubt everyone who had reservations for test-drives at the event will be offered mobile drive, and I'm unsure as to how they choose to whom they offer it.

I'm a late 2018 reservation holder with a LE R1T on order.

Last edited:

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

I was scheduled for a test drive today (Wednesday) at the First Mile event. Email came yesterday that it was canceled, and I rescheduled it for tomorrow morning (Thursday - there were 2 slots left).

This afternoon, I got a call from CS about scheduling a mobile test drive instead...I was definitely a bit surprised to get the call. I jokingly told her I (wishfully) thought it was the call to confirm my spec and provide an earlier delivery ETA! They're now scheduled to visit my office tomorrow afternoon for what I was told would be a 45-minute test drive with a Rivian drive coach; the CS rep sent me an email afterward to confirm and said that nothing would show on my online Rivian account.

I asked if First Mile would be canceled tomorrow, and she said that the decision hadn't been made yet. Obviously, for one reason or another, they decided to cancel the whole thing. Maybe it's not as much of a problem with the course as it is getting to the course...perhaps there are still road closures or required clean-up in the area? It seems a better alternative would've been to add more days next week, but I doubt Rivian will disclose the 'real' reasons for the cancellation.

She said only ZIPs in proximity to the event were eligible for mobile drives. I first asked if they could come to my house, but it was out of the zone. I doubt everyone who had reservations for test-drives at the event will be offered mobile drive, and I'm unsure as to how they choose to whom they offer it.

I'm a late 2018 reservation holder with a LE R1T on order.
Nice! I am not as thrilled about doing a "mobile drive" as I was about driving it off road. However, I didn't get that choice. My email says, "Since you didn’t get to take a drive this time, you’ll be given the highest priority when mobile drives launch in your area." I am in San Diego, not close enough to be in a ZIP in proximity to the event.

I feel like the rug was pulled out from under my feet by not getting the chance to finally see the vehicle in-person. Venice Hub was closed when I was in LA over Thanksgiving. I guess I'll need to make another trip up there at some point.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good News - They are now doing local drives for those of us in the area. you can sign up now for a drive in LA. So instead of the event space in Agua Dulce they are bringing the truck to my house on Saturday.

DoonsR1T

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, Jeep Wrangler JKU
Occupation
Classic Auto Finance
Clubs

I also had a reservation for Friday. Was really bummed out when I got the canceled notification. I have received an invitation for a mobile test drive. They are brining the truck to my house in Orange County, about 85 miles away from where the original event in Agua Dulce was going to be. Really wanted to see the colors in person. Also would have liked to have seen a complete Forest edge interior. I have seen all the paint and interior samples in Venice, just hoping to see full size examples some day....Still excited to drive one even if it is on city streets and not off road. Might get a chance to test fit in my garage !

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I also had a reservation for Friday. Was really bummed out when I got the canceled notification. I have received an invitation for a mobile test drive. They are brining the truck to my house in Orange County, about 85 miles away from where the original event in Agua Dulce was going to be. Really wanted to see the colors in person. Also would have liked to have seen a complete Forest edge interior. I have seen all the paint and interior samples in Venice, just hoping to see full size examples some day....Still excited to drive one even if it is on city streets and not off road. Might get a chance to test fit in my garage !
Yeah I was also looking forward to seeing more colors in person because I'm not totally confident in my color choice, but looking forward to being able to test it out at my own place on Saturday.

I have a sand ring for my horses so maybe I'll see if they'll let me drive it in there and test the performance ;)

DoonsR1T

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, Jeep Wrangler JKU
Occupation
Classic Auto Finance
Clubs

Yeah I was also looking forward to seeing more colors in person because I'm not totally confident in my color choice, but looking forward to being able to test it out at my own place on Saturday.

I have a sand ring for my horses so maybe I'll see if they'll let me drive it in there and test the performance ;)
Would be the perfect spot to activate tank turn if it was enabled!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Ask if they can bring one with the forest edge interior