Sponsored

ACC on road trip

superfly_snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Glacier White
Took our first road trip in the R1S over the weekend. Truck is on 2023.34.0 and abut a month old. I used ACC a lot driving through SoCal up to the central coast area and then back again. I had one OMG moment in LA when traffic was stopped ahead and initially the R1S was keying off the car ahead in my lane (indicated in blue on the HUD) but a split second after starting to decelerate rapidly a motorcycle came rushing by on the right. The motorcyclist I can say was quite confident and going into lane-splitting mode and basically didn’t slow down at all. The ACC in the Rivian immediately identified the motorcycle as a car on the HUD and keyed off it now (as indicated by blue color) and started to accelerate fairly rapidly, right towards the cars stopped just ahead. As this was my first road trip and I didn’t have tons of trust in the system yet; I was alert and quickly on the brake to avoid a collision but it freaked out both me and my wife.

Basically the ACC got duped by a lane splitting motorcycle, thinking it was a car traveling ahead of me in my lane, and then accelerated rapidly to now follow that “car”. During the same road trip I saw motorcycles rendered as bikes, pedestrians and actual motorcycles on the HUD.

ACC makes driving through LA a much better experience and overall I think Rivian’s system is pretty good. A couple other things I noticed:
- in conserve mode it is very slow to accelerate after an initial deceleration when someone cuts you off, resulting in more drivers cutting you off (gotta love SoCal drivers). I had to dial the follow distance all the way to minimum to mitigate this
- I didn’t experience any phantom breaking but my driving was all daytime in nice sunny SoCal weather
- Really like the follow distance setting so far, at least with one road trip under my belt the range and intervals seemed to work really nicely
- one route planning quirk we experienced was the truck didn’t precondition the battery when we changed our planned charge stop. We did this in the route planner about 15 miles out so it seemed to me there may have still been value in battery prep - our original planned stop was further up the road. It seemed like maybe we changed to a stop inside of some range/time when I starts the preconditioning. I didn’t remember exactly how far out it had started the previous time. Not ACC related I know but thought I would leave it here in case anyone from Rivian reads all this stuff. I really hope they at least see the bit about ACC and the lane splitting motorcycle above as that was pretty scary.
Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

in conserve mode it is very slow to accelerate after an initial deceleration when someone cuts you off, resulting in more drivers cutting you off (gotta love SoCal drivers). I had to dial the follow distance all the way to minimum to mitigate this
Don't make a habit of using conserve mode in situations with a lot of acceleration/braking. It is meant for steady state highway driving.

I'm still amazed California allows lane splitting. All the motorcycle riders would be dead in the Chicago area if they allowed it. I'm not surprised the driver+ system failed here, it doesn't have a lot of intelligence around the edges of a lane, determining what is in your lane, leaving the lane, or entering the lane. Many times I'll get the collision detection warning when the car in front of me is turning right and it thinks the vehicle is still completely in the lane.

I've also had it pick up cross traffic as a stopped vehicle in my lane.

I only ever use Driver+ in low traffic areas.

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
When did we get a Heads up display in our Rivian’s

OP
OP

superfly_snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Glacier White
When did we get a Heads up display in our Rivian’s
I was referring to the screen behind the wheel, which maybe could also be called the “gauge cluster” but anyways I think it should be clear now.
Sponsored