Sponsored

3D printer recommendations?

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
The Count decided the Royal Household needs a 3D printer but is getting conflicting advice. It seems prices have really come down but then a lot of the sub $500 ones are MAndarian knock-offs. The Count's budget is $2,000 and this could be divided for multiple sized printers. He sees you guys printing cool stuff for your Rivians so what do you recommend for such purposes? Is $2,000 too low of a budget for something good?
Sponsored

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
The Count decided the Royal Household needs a 3D printer but is getting conflicting advice. It seems prices have really come down but then a lot of the sub $500 ones are MAndarian knock-offs. The Count's budget is $2,000 and this could be divided for multiple sized printers. He sees you guys printing cool stuff for your Rivians so what do you recommend for such purposes? Is $2,000 too low of a budget for something good?
I’ve got Creality (chinesium) and Prusa. Both are highly capable but Prusa just always works without messing around with anything.
I’ve heard decent results can be had with Bambu as well. If you care about open source, both are open source software but Bambu has proprietary hardware.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Here is a 3D printed Subway sandwich to get you started:

Rivian R1T R1S 3D printer recommendations? 1702760357784

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
I have the Bambu Labs X1 Carbon and it's easier to use than my laser printer. It's pretty much ready to print right out of the box and handles all of the calibration and bed leveling automatically.

I highly recommend it.

Mr. Ham

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 CY R1S
Clubs

This site seems to gravitate towards:
https://us.store.bambulab.com/products/x1-carbon-combo
as a window shopper only, so was I.
Still toe dragging on use frequency and limitations-in-each-machine
Agreed. You would be happy with An X1C with an AMS for your budget. I think you could find something that would cost more, but won’t be better. Bambu is the fastest printers out of the box. After market support is ok. I’d say 7 out 10.

(I just upgraded to a P1S after using crap printer for a couple years.)

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I have the Bambu X1C with AMS for almost a year. I have a custom product I design and sell in low volume (unrelated to Rivian) - about 15 to 20 units a month. I’m very pleased with it, especially when compared to my 5 year old previous 3D printer.

You won’t get one shipped/delivered this week. If that matters, MicroCenter sells Bambu so you might find one in stock if there is a store near you.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’m seriously looking into 3D printing as my next hobby as well. At a minimum I can make custom Lego bricks. I hope to find some local classes on the subject after the new year.

Last spring, I did a lot of research on actual printers. I bought a Bambu P1P for my niece’s graduation from LSU. She’s a mechanical engineer and has already put it to good use.
Sponsored