Sponsored

Bought a Patriot Camper and drove from Las Vegas to the Bay Area (550 miles) - range, Rivian network, quick impressions

rohitgarewal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Technology Services
I’ve been eyeing a Rivian camper for almost a year now and finally pulled the trigger this week. I picked up the last of their Gen 1 X3’s as the new Gen 2’s are coming in and are almost $20K more expensive. For those that don’t know what a Patriot Camper is - it’s an incredibly compact, off-road camper built for those that want to go over landing. It’s the “Rivian” of off-road campers - can go anywhere, incredibly well built for a 1-2 product brand, significantly more expensive when compared vehicles that look similar, but those that know “know” that there really isn’t anything else like it. It’s won off-road camper of the year 7 years in a row - there’s really nothing better. You can find out a lot more information by going on Youtube - there’s a fantatical off-road community whom have posted a ton of videos.

But this thread is not about the camper. It’s for those that want to know how a compact trailer impacts range. I am happy to report that range Is MUCH better than I expected. For reference, I drove from the Bay Area to Las Vegas with cruise set to 70MPH without the trailer. My overall efficiency was 2.2 mi/KwH on the 22” wheels. Conditions were fine, with the weather between 55 - 65 degrees for almost the whole drive. Elevation went from 250ft to 4700 ft, with several fluctuations between 2000 and 4000 ft.

On the way back, towing the trailer, the efficiency was ONLY down to 1.7 mi/KwH! This was a huge win for me, as I have heard that efficiency is cut by 50%, down to 1.1 mi/kwh for larger trailers. This essentially allowed me to drive 160 miles on a 80% charge, from Rivian station to Rivian station, with at least 30 miles remaining when arriving for a charge. Temperatures were less than ideal for most of the drive home as well. We had the same elevation changes, but for most of the drive the temperature was in the mid 40’s, which I am guessing impacted range. I did slow down on this return drive those, with an average drive speed of about 60 MPH (fluctuating between 55 on the climbs and 65 on flats and downhills).

The only other thing I wanted to comment on was the Rivian network. it was awesome, and I wish there were many more, but I was super impressed by how many there already are in California. From the Bay Area to Las Vegas, I was able to do the entire trip charging only at Rivian chargers. They are much cheaper than EA and EvGO, much more reliable, and were simple plug and play. More importantly for me, the people charging were super cool, and were respectful to leave the trailer pull through charger(s) as the last one used - I was able to pull up to the trailer pull through with no wait at every Rivian charging station.

Thats about it! I’ve attached some pics and please let me know if you have any questions! Most of my pictures and videos were taken on my Osmo 3 which I haven’t downloaded yet - here are a few I captured on my iPhone.

Rivian R1T R1S Bought a Patriot Camper and drove from Las Vegas to the Bay Area (550 miles) - range, Rivian network, quick impressions IMG_0296

Rivian R1T R1S Bought a Patriot Camper and drove from Las Vegas to the Bay Area (550 miles) - range, Rivian network, quick impressions IMG_0292

Rivian R1T R1S Bought a Patriot Camper and drove from Las Vegas to the Bay Area (550 miles) - range, Rivian network, quick impressions IMG_0293

Rivian R1T R1S Bought a Patriot Camper and drove from Las Vegas to the Bay Area (550 miles) - range, Rivian network, quick impressions IMG_0302
Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Were you able to make it all the way from the bay area to Buttonwillow, or did you drop in at the Santa Nella station as well?

Yota2R1T

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Solar PV professional
Clubs

Thanks for sharing!
Great to see such reasonable range results for smaller campers.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I started to look at the Patriot Campers about 5 years ago after I got my 2 door Wrangler, I would need something lightweight. Almost everything I have read about them has been positive. In the end I decided I probably wouldn't use it enough to justify it, especially if they are now jacking prices up $20k. Congratulations on the purchase.

OP
OP

rohitgarewal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Technology Services
Were you able to make it all the way from the bay area to Buttonwillow, or did you drop in at the Santa Nella station as well?
going in reverse, with the trailer, I left Barstow in the morning with 80%, I filled up at buttonwillow to 80 again, and then stopped at Santa nella for a quick topper to get me to the east bay. I only needed to charge for about 15 minutes at SN to get to Walnut Creek.

OP
OP

rohitgarewal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Technology Services
I started to look at the Patriot Campers about 5 years ago after I got my 2 door Wrangler, I would need something lightweight. Almost everything I have read about them has been positive. In the end I decided I probably wouldn't use it enough to justify it, especially if they are now jacking prices up $20k. Congratulations on the purchase.
yeah so far so good. Going for a three night in Santa Cruz this coming week, so will report back. From what I’ve seen so far it’s incredibly well built.
Sponsored