James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

I almost had the same thing happen to me yesterday driving home in the wild wind and weather we are having on the coast. With wind gusts up to 65 mph and standing water in a driving rain, a Tesla idiot decide it was the perfect time to tailgate me.

He tried it once too often, and when I had to brake (for real), the truck behind him rearranged the back of his Tesla. Oopsie! No damage to me or the Tesla driver, but his Tesla is now going to the scrapheap. The funniest part is that I did pull over, and the Tesla driver tried to blame it all on me. Several folks told the cops that responded what really happened which made it all the worse for Mr. Tesla guy. Oh well.
Sorry about all of that.
Sponsored

OP
OP
nrrasmussen

nrrasmussen

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S; Audi All-road Wagon; Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

I always tap the brakes. Never checked to see if the lights blink in the rear.

You need to update the folks here if there is any frame damage. May look like nothing, but could be tweaked. I'm sure you know that OP.
Will definitely keep you posted as to what we hear back from the collision shop RE: the frame. Fingers crossed there is no impact to it!!!!

And RE: the lights blinking, that was a question I asked when we picked up the car, and the response was that yes, the brake lights do illuminate when regenerative breaking kicks in (and they also show up as illuminated on the display).

Sher

First Name
Sher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian LE R1S
Anyone else have experiences dealing with collision repairs? Using a Rivian-approved shop who seems to know what they are doing, but just curious what others may have gone through, and welcome any advice you may have!
My R1S had cosmetic issues as soon as I took it off the lot in Sept (a door handle would not pop open, both side rear windows not installed correctly, big panel gap driver door, air bubble on rear pillar), so the soonest Rivian service could get me in was 09 Dec. About a month after ownership, I was rear ended at a stop. Rivian sent me to an approved collision center who looked at the damage, but the soonest they could get me in was 27 Dec after ordering parts.

The work truck that hit me scratched the entire rear side, so I need new launch badging, plastic panel beneath trunk, and fix scratches and repaint of both lower and upper tailgate and trunk doors. Communication with the collision center in San Francisco has been okay. I email and leave a voicemail with my contact because i realized quickly that he isn’t as responsive on email alone. I will know more in a few days.

OP
OP
nrrasmussen

nrrasmussen

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

Why 1 month to fix once parts gathered???
Honestly not sure - I guess just that since it's a relatively new vehicle and they are still gaining experience with all the nuances that go into getting all the sensors and whatnot back up and running? I'll do more digging on the timeline when they get back to me with the quote and we get things moving with insurance and whatnot... Will keep you posted!

OP
OP
nrrasmussen

nrrasmussen

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

My R1S had cosmetic issues as soon as I took it off the lot in Sept (a door handle would not pop open, both side rear windows not installed correctly, big panel gap driver door, air bubble on rear pillar), so the soonest Rivian service could get me in was 09 Dec. About a month after ownership, I was rear ended at a stop. Rivian sent me to an approved collision center who looked at the damage, but the soonest they could get me in was 27 Dec after ordering parts.

The work truck that hit me scratched the entire rear side, so I need new launch badging, plastic panel beneath trunk, and fix scratches and repaint of both lower and upper tailgate and trunk doors. Communication with the collision center in San Francisco has been okay. I email and leave a voicemail with my contact because i realized quickly that he isn’t as responsive on email alone. I will know more in a few days.
Yikes!! Sounds like the long lead parts and repair time are not isolated... Here's hoping we're both back on the road with beautiful R1S' again as soon as possible!!!!!!

Sponsored

Sher

First Name
Sher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian LE R1S
Yikes!! Sounds like the long lead parts and repair time are not isolated... Here's hoping we're both back on the road with beautiful R1S' again as soon as possible!!!!!!
Yes! Long lead times, for sure. We will both have our beautiful Ss back s_0___0_n!

And btw, SO glad you were okay after your accident!

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Will definitely keep you posted as to what we hear back from the collision shop RE: the frame. Fingers crossed there is no impact to it!!!!

And RE: the lights blinking, that was a question I asked when we picked up the car, and the response was that yes, the brake lights do illuminate when regenerative breaking kicks in (and they also show up as illuminated on the display).
Echoing the good wishes and the kudos for the positivity of your attitude. Great note about the display illumination. I did similar tests with mine to see when the lights come on. Here's a photo of me following my wife (closely :cool:) to see when the brake lights come on with just a bit of regen -
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S wrecked... 4 days after delivery! (but you should see the other guy...) IMG_7760

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I have the R1T with cross-bars on the bed, which makes it easy to see the actual brake light in the rear view mirror as it reflects on the bar. The lights do come on immediately when you ask for moderate+ amount of regen but also stay off when you are "coasting" (using low-ish regen).

OP, it's not you, it's the tailgater! It's good to see that you vehicle is relatively undamaged.

OP
OP
nrrasmussen

nrrasmussen

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

OP-glad you and everyone is safe. Love your attitude. I had a run in with a pothole that took about six months because of the delay in getting parts. I hope your wait isn't that bad.
Oh no! 6 months?? I hope that isn't the case here, but you never know.... I'm keeping my expectations low JIC. At least it's drivable for now, I guess, and again, everyone is ok physically, so at the end of the day that's what truly matters...

OP
OP
nrrasmussen

nrrasmussen

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

The same thing happened to me. Day 8, on the way home from getting snow tires put on. R1S appears to only have paint damage (can't get an assessment until Jan 4). Ford Ecosport that hit me was undrivable. The driver couldn't even open the driver-side door. No injuries of any kind.
20221222_172616363_iOS.jpg
20221222_172611125_iOS - Copy.jpg
So glad everyone was physically ok in your instance as well!!!! And amazing that it looks like only the paint on yours was impacted (especially in light of the looks of the other car!)! Hopefully the timing to get it back to 100% won't take nearly as long :)

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Oh no! 6 months?? I hope that isn't the case here, but you never know.... I'm keeping my expectations low JIC. At least it's drivable for now, I guess, and again, everyone is ok physically, so at the end of the day that's what truly matters...
Mine is a non-Rivian and parts had to come over from Italy. I think it came over in a dingy based on the timeline. Love the attitude mate! Wish more people were like you. Happy holidays!

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
The same thing happened to me. Day 8, on the way home from getting snow tires put on. R1S appears to only have paint damage (can't get an assessment until Jan 4). Ford Ecosport that hit me was undrivable. The driver couldn't even open the driver-side door. No injuries of any kind.
20221222_172616363_iOS.jpg
20221222_172611125_iOS - Copy.jpg
From my experience, you'll have significantly more than just "paint damage". I had a contractor vehicle back into me at a condo complex in Coronado, CA (asshole didn't leave a note, but I know how it had to be due to how high the dent was). I got it into a Rivian authorized repair shop in SLC, UT and they were able to get numerous replacement parts, including a bumper, within a week and had the work done within 2 weeks from initial assessment and drop-off. I would have had it back sooner, but the Rivian SC in SLC was backed up about 1.5 weeks, and the truck needed re-calibration following the repairs. Luckily, my insurance (Progressive) is treating the claim as a "not at fault" accident and I have a $500 deductible on what will be a nearly $4000 repair job.

Hope your and OP's repairs go quickly.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S wrecked... 4 days after delivery! (but you should see the other guy...) 20221122_141932

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S wrecked... 4 days after delivery! (but you should see the other guy...) 20221122_141948

Last edited:
OP
OP
nrrasmussen

nrrasmussen

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

From my experience, you'll have significantly more than just "paint damage". I had a service vehicle back into me at a condo complex in Coronado, CA (asshole didn't leave a note). I got it into a Rivian authorized repair shop in SLC, UT and they were able to get numerous replacement parts, including a bumper, within a week and had the work done within 2 weeks from initial assessment and drop-off. I would have had it back sooner, but the Rivian SC in SLC was backed up about 1.5 weeks, and the truck needed re-calibration following the repairs. Luckily, my insurance (Progressive) is treating the claim as a "not at fault" accident and I have a $500 deductible on what will be a nearly $4000 repair job.

Hope your and OP's repairs go quickly.

20221122_141932.jpg

20221122_141948.jpg
Oh wow! That's a much quicker turnaround than I would have thought -- gives me some hope!!! Thank you for sharing your experience!!

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I did get hit in the tailgate by a Tesla model Y in my church parking lot. A lady backed into me. So in a Christian like manner I had a big brawl with the lady on the pavement. Jk!! 😂 Just my light bar was broken and needed to be replaced. I went to AGC collision in North Hollywood, CA. and I had a good experience with the people there. Now I’m terrified of Teslas!! Anyone wants to buy a cracked working rear light bar?? 😁

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S wrecked... 4 days after delivery! (but you should see the other guy...) B9128D92-FE06-4861-8FEA-0E43854CFDD9

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Well, one bit of good news is that since you got rear-ended the other party is 100% at fault and will even cover your deductible so you shouldn't be out a penny when all is said and done.

Our i3 got rear-ended a couple of weeks ago and my insurance is handling everything. They have already written a check to the body shop and will subrogate all expenses including our deductible to the other party's ins co (who has already accepted responsibility for expenses).
Sponsored