Question about buying used Rivian..

ariscus99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P100D
Occupation
Firefighter
If you were to buy used, would you find any benefit in specifically looking for a higher VIN model? I’ve seen some in the 1xxx range and some in the 9xxx range, and of course in between. Would the 9xxx range ones presumably have some bugs worked out?
Sponsored

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
Since no one is going to respond, I will... Just like me or anyone buying this, there might be small or large issues. However, the truck has a 6-year 60k warranty, which is great. If you want one today, the used market is your only choice. VIN-wise, who knows? Some folks enjoy their trucks, others have had laundry lists of issues.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Rivian hasn't redesigned any of the flawed systems/parts yet. So no matter if you get a low vs. high VIN it's the same vehicle.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I have a VIN in the 12’s that was supposed to be delivered last Friday but they found an issue with the rear drive unit. Therefore it was delayed until this Friday.

So while it’s not good obviously that I’ve had an issue it is good that they caught it immediately. I think while there might still be some potential for issues with a later vin they were probably checked more before getting delivered.

With a used one who knows. I’m not sure how accommodating Rivian will be to grey market purchasers as far as repairs go. I have no reason to believe that they would be any less professional than they are to direct purchases though, so dont take that as a statement of fact.

While I’m slightly uneasy about issues being possible in my truck they are possible from any manufacturer and my personal experience in dealing with Rivian so far has been excellent. I’m not at all worried that any potential issue will be remedied in a good timeframe

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
@ariscus99, I generally agree with @NY_Rob no real significant updates between a Lower and higher VIN produced to date. I would like to think Rivian has gotten a little better at production. Maybe tweeked the paint process slightly, dialed in fitment issues a tad. My guess is the variation in initial quality between any two random Rivians could be bigger than between between Vin 02500 and VIN 12500.
By the way my VIN 05903 has paint and fitment at least as good as any other of the FORD, Honda, or Subaru vehicles I have purchased new in the past.
Also Not sure what @Donald Stanfield means by "grey market". Yes Rivian will have to service thier vehicles that are operated by second and third owners just like every manufacturer.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
@ariscus99, I generally agree with @NY_Rob no real significant updates between a Lower and higher VIN produced to date. I would like to think Rivian has gotten a little better at production. Maybe tweeked the paint process slightly, dialed in fitment issues a tad. My guess is the variation in initial quality between any two random Rivians could be bigger than between between Vin 02500 and VIN 12500.
By the way my VIN 05903 has paint and fitment at least as good as any other of the FORD, Honda, or Subaru vehicles I have purchased new in the past.
Also Not sure what @Donald Stanfield means by "grey market". Yes Rivian will have to service thier vehicles that are operated by second and third owners just like every manufacturer.
Grey market is a term used in highly collectable and rare items like high end vehicles or watches. What it means basically is buying from a reseller not the manufacturer or an authorized dealer. I know Rivian has to service their vehicles. I've seen in other circles people getting the run around when they bought their item via the grey market. They are treated as second class by the manufacturer. So while service is contractually obligated they are not obligated to be quick about it.

I also want to make it clear that I have no evidence whatsoever Rivian is going to or would do this. Just that I've seen some of this in other markets. There is a certain Italian auto manufacturer who has quite the reputation for relegating people to the grey market and not honoring grey market warranties but they are kind of an anomaly in the industry in fairness.
Sponsored