Sponsored

jffkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Is it me or does that hatch close sound really crappy? It sounds like two cheap pieces clacking together or really loose panels.
had the same thought, seems misaligned as well. if you look at door it shifts when latching, suggesting it's not lined up properly upon close.
Sponsored

slider2828

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
had the same thought, seems misaligned as well. if you look at door it shifts when latching, suggesting it's not lined up properly upon close.
Oh man.... 1 more piece gives it a multiplicative factor to align.... I am still worried about the charging door with 3 axis movement to look like heck in 2 years.....

Like while charging in the garage, one of the kids hooking her backpack on it.....

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Remember, their muse for the R1S was the Porsche Cayenne, so that's what they are expecting to be compared against.
Hmm... I would be happy with 2nd row legroom similar to the Cayenne. I haven't made a side by side comparison, but based on photos and videos the Cayenne looks like it has more legroom..
and it's not exactly huge.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Sure, but that would compromise other attributes that are important to the vision for the product. Perhaps they will make a long wheelbase version in the future, but for right now, performance and off road capability are more important then a couple more inches of legroom. Remember, their muse for the R1S was the Porsche Cayenne, so that's what they are expecting to be compared against.
The main issue is the hood is too long on the R1S (it is fine in the much longer R1T) and that reduces the space for second and third row. Compared to other three row vehicles the hood is long.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I don't believe this is accurate.
It is longer to allow for a large drink plus the other electronics required. This works on a 216” truck but when you come down to 200” and that is all taken out of the cabin it makes it tighter than the T.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
This works on a 216” truck but when you come down to 200” and that is all taken out of the cabin it makes it tighter than the T.
This has nothing to do with what I said. Many other 3 row suvs have as long or longer front hoods.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

This has nothing to do with what I said. Many other 3 row suvs have as long or longer front hoods.
I am just trying to figure out why the R1S has no more and potentially a little less second and third row legroom than other vehicles. Especially given the inherent packaging advantages of a BEV.

My minivan is significantly more spacious and the legroom figures of the S are comparable to the Mazda CX-9 which is one of the tighter three row SUVs.

MuskOxFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X (selling), Porsche Taycan
Occupation
Tech
I am just trying to figure out why the R1S has no more and potentially a little less second and third row legroom than other vehicles. Especially given the inherent packaging advantages of a BEV.

My minivan is significantly more spacious and the legroom figures of the S are comparable to the Mazda CX-9 which is one of the tighter three row SUVs.
I suspect the packaging advantage of BEV's are exaggerated marketing. My Model X has a fairly thick battery pack, and it's smaller than the one in the Rivian. Same with the Taycan. I don't see how there's packaging advantages when you're sitting on a 8" thick battery pack under the entire passenger compartment. I love driving BEV and believe in the environmental benefits, but I'm not going to lie to myself about packaging being superior to an ICE where the motor is contained out front and you have a relatively small gas tank under the rear seat. Yes ICE cars have central driveline hump, but the only reason BEVs don't have that is because the ENTIRE floor is raised to the level of the hump.

Reactions: sub

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
This is a bummer. I was excited about the extra legroom in the video, but looks like it's just a shorter lower seat. I wish they'd make a long wheelbase R1S on the same chassis as the R1T. The extra legroom and storage would really be great for my family!
So I went to the Venice Hub (again) today after dropping off a friend at LAX airport. I sat in both the R1S and R1T. A few takeaways.

R1S has notably more rearseat room than the R1T (legroom and headroom). I am 6'1 and set the front seat at my ideal sitting position in both vehicles with visually the same recline.

a) R1T backseat headroom: about 1 inch from the ceiling (hair touching headliner). Legroom: about 2 inches from the front seat. I can confirm that the seat base is longer than the R1S. Additionally the seat seems to sit higher, which makes for a more natural seating position (less squatting like).​
b) R1S backseat headroom: 3-4 inches from ceiling. Legroom: approx 4 inches from the front seat. Though the seat base was slightly smaller than the R1T in my limited time sitting in the vehicle I could not tell a difference in comfort. Having recline in the R1S is an obvious bonus, though the angle of the backrest in the R1T did not bother me.​
R1S also has a noticeably wider rear door opening than the R1T for rear passengers to get in and out, thats separate from the fact that the door itself is much larger on the R1S. None of this should be surprising as its a comparison of a truck vs a SUV.. though I saw a few posts claiming that the room is "appearing" like its equal for the backseat passengers for both vehicles. This is not true, the R1S has more backseat room and feels/is more open than the R1T. As I noted before, I think the headroom difference is because the rear seats in the R1T are raised slightly more than the R1S, which brings your head closer to the roofline. I think this was done to allow for the storage space / subwoofer under the rear seats of the R1T and possibly for the gear tunnel; neither of which the R1S has.

*sorry I didnt take interior pics of me sitting, was alone and didnt want to take a bunch of selfies. Did take one pic of the lovely blue R1S, forgot to take one of the lovely yellow R1T.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S rear seat legroom vs. R1T comparison Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 2.44.06 PM

Last edited:

Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I forgot to take a picture, but I want to share something else I saw at my Venice Hub visit. In the R1S when the 2nd row seats fold down the headrest sometimes hits the front seats (depending on where the front and rear seats are positioned). These impacts had caused relatively deep scratches on the rubberized backing of the front seats, did not look pretty and was permanent. On the headrest there is a nylon accent loop that is kind of coarse and raised, I think thats what had been hitting the seats and causing the scratches. I am hoping this is something Rivian fixes before volume production. If someone goes to the Venice Hub again please take / share a pic. I had not noticed this the last time I was at the hub a few weeks back. I get this is a demo vehicle and the seats are being folded up and down constantly, but.. still, an expensive vehicle for adventuring should be pretty durable as well.

I found a online pic of the rear seats and indicated the area I think is causing the damage.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S rear seat legroom vs. R1T comparison rivian-r1s-inline-10-1656623607-1

Rivian R1T R1S R1S rear seat legroom vs. R1T comparison Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 12.08.11 PM

Last edited:

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I was able to find a visualization of the front seat backing damage from Rivian Dad's video on YouTube. Took a screenshot. I saw more wear the day I visited the Venice Hub. This is occurring as the second row collide with the backing of the front seats during folding of the second row when either a) the front seats are positioned too far back or b) the 2nd row is positioned too far forward or a combination of the two.

I think a easy fix to this problem would be slightly more padding on the upper part of the headrest to have that come in contact with the front seats instead of the roped accent edges.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S rear seat legroom vs. R1T comparison Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 12.00.52 PM

Last edited:

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
So I went to the Venice Hub (again) today after dropping off a friend at LAX airport. I sat in both the R1S and R1T. A few takeaways.

R1S has notably more rearseat room than the R1T (legroom and headroom). I am 6'1 and set the front seat at my ideal sitting position in both vehicles with visually the same recline.

a) R1T backseat headroom: about 1 inch from the ceiling (hair touching headliner). Legroom: about 2 inches from the front seat. I can confirm that the seat base is longer than the R1S. Additionally the seat seems to sit higher, which makes for a more natural seating position (less squatting like).​
b) R1S backseat headroom: 3-4 inches from ceiling. Legroom: approx 4 inches from the front seat. Though the seat base was slightly smaller than the R1T in my limited time sitting in the vehicle I could not tell a difference in comfort. Having recline in the R1S is an obvious bonus, though the angle of the backrest in the R1T did not bother me.​
R1S also has a noticeably wider rear door opening than the R1T for rear passengers to get in and out, thats separate from the fact that the door itself is much larger on the R1S. None of this should be surprising as its a comparison of a truck vs a SUV.. though I saw a few posts claiming that the room is "appearing" like its equal for the backseat passengers for both vehicles. This is not true, the R1S has more backseat room and feels/is more open than the R1T. As I noted before, I think the headroom difference is because the rear seats in the R1T are raised slightly more than the R1S, which brings your head closer to the roofline. I think this was done to allow for the storage space / subwoofer under the rear seats of the R1T and possibly for the gear tunnel; neither of which the R1S has.

*sorry I didnt take interior pics of me sitting, was alone and didnt want to take a bunch of selfies. Did take one pic of the lovely blue R1S, forgot to take one of the lovely yellow R1T.

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 2.44.06 PM.png
That's interesting, the second row look a bit tight for a 6' person in his video, and Rivian customer service told me the leg room is the same as the R1T but that was months ago so maybe they didn't really know for sure. Glad to hear there is a couple more inches in the S, as my oldest is 13 years old is already approaching 5'10".

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

That's interesting, the second row look a bit tight for a 6' person in his video, and Rivian customer service told me the leg room is the same as the R1T but that was months ago so maybe they didn't really know for sure. Glad to hear there is a couple more inches in the S, as my oldest is 13 years old is already approaching 5'10".
I agree it is good to hear but when I look at the Rivian floor mats the second row for the T is deeper than the S. This made me wonder if there was less legroom in the S than the T for second row passengers.

OP
OP

Tall_Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban, Porsche 911
I agree it is good to hear but when I look at the Rivian floor mats the second row for the T is deeper than the S. This made me wonder if there was less legroom in the S than the T for second row passengers.
If I recall, Doug DeMuro described the rear legroom as acceptable, but not great. That's a disappointment for a 200" SUV claiming to have packaging advantages.
Sponsored