Sponsored

R1S big enough to sleep in - Business Insider says YES!

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Yep, my kid is about to take our Model S "car-camping." Planning on sleeping with the back seat folded down, luggage in frunk.

(Going to a concert that has "demand based pricing" - the local concert was ~$300, the concert in Reno is only $54. So he's going to take advantage of our grandfathered free unlimited Supercharging, sleep in rest areas, and go to Reno for it.)
I've done that at the airshow in Oshkosh, Wisconsin (which coincidentally is next week this year). I was in Camp Scholler, which is reported to be the largest private campground in the world during the airshow.

I had a tent set up, but the weather turned ugly one night so I just moved my air mattress and electronics into the model S. I ran the AC all night (hot, humid, intermittent thunderstorms) which used less than 25 miles of range. I was instantly converted into a fan of car camping. A $20 Walmart air mattress (with an included electric pump) fit easily in the back of the car.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S big enough to sleep in - Business Insider says YES! IMG_0553
Sponsored

Reactions: Max

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Inside the armrest is empty. You may even be able to store those lemons in it. I don’t remember where I saw it but I will look for it and edit this post when I find it.

Edit: from Marty J video:

1658285216391.png
Oh, yeah, I was definitely wrong about that. My recollection was that the cubby was shallow and that picture looks like the cubby plus padded armrest would take you down to the height of the folded second row. If that’s the case it’s a shame they didn’t make the whole armrest a removable assembly. If you could take an armrest assembly out and have interior color hard plastic behind it I bet that would’ve made a lot of people happier with the additional flexibility of the rear cargo space.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
cancelling the five seater.
Definitely my biggest disappointment so far. I get the business case, but still....

OP
OP
RBR1S

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Didn't RJ do a video showing that this is capable in the R1S or am I dreaming that?
He did a "lay down" at an angle in the video. But again perspective of having the mattress in there and all. Besides, he is short, like 5'8" based on a quick google search.
Sponsored