Sponsored

R1S big enough to sleep in - Business Insider says YES!

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Based on this article, some of our real world questions finally answered. Like "can you sleep in the R1S comfortably". Well, if a twin size bed is big enough for you, then yes. 6'1" - you can spread out based on the pics. Two small people, probably. Two happy spooners, maybe?

Maybe even a full(twin is 74x38, full is 75x54) if it were foam or air mattress - handy with that air compressor RIGHT THERE... or do custom modular mattress and make it your own.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rivian-r1s-review-electric-suv-interior-cargo-area-2022-7

Rivian R1T R1S R1S big enough to sleep in - Business Insider says YES! 1658256558602

Rivian R1T R1S R1S big enough to sleep in - Business Insider says YES! 1658256706870
Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Not exactly headline news, if you can sleep in a 4Runner there was never a question you could in a R1S....

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I don't doubt it. Saw a couple up close at the Venice Hub in Southern California. I'm 5'10" and I know I'll have no problem. Tons of room/length.

EDIT: However, if you plan on sleeping two back there AND have cargo/luggage, it'll be tight no matter what.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S big enough to sleep in - Business Insider says YES! 1EDA8292-92E2-4E59-B92E-ED811FFB3B99

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
That’s what the frunk is for
True, and if you don't have the spare tire, the space under the little cubbies (under the rear trunk panel) is huge. You could easily fit another small carryon-sized suitcase in there.

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Yep, my kid is about to take our Model S "car-camping." Planning on sleeping with the back seat folded down, luggage in frunk.

(Going to a concert that has "demand based pricing" - the local concert was ~$300, the concert in Reno is only $54. So he's going to take advantage of our grandfathered free unlimited Supercharging, sleep in rest areas, and go to Reno for it.)

OP
OP
RBR1S

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Not exactly headline news, if you can sleep in a 4Runner there was never a question you could in a R1S....
Let me guess - 4Runner with a license plate of "Sardines". :CWL:

Haha I meant comfortably.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
"Two happy spooners, maybe?"

This is certainly taking a different turn than it's intended use.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
As is, you really have to love the other spooner. If that third row armrest was not there, you could make it work with someone you like. That armrest really should have been removable or a fold-able surface. Rivian dropped the ball on that one after cancelling the five seater. I think they just gave up on the perfect design (wider floor and flatter surface) in the interest on getting it out sooner (which is not a bad goal).

Last edited:

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
Yikes, that blow up mattress takes up like 1/3rd of the vertical space alone. That's one big issue with the R1S, you don't have enough space to sit up back there unless you are a midgy.

Not being able to sit up in the back makes it much less comfortable for longer camping excursions.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

As is, you really have to love the other spooner. If that third row armrest was not there, you could make it work with someone you like. That armrest really should have been removable or a fold-able surface. Rivian dropped the ball on that one after cancelling the five seater. I think they just gave up on the perfect design (wider floor and flatter surface) in the interest on getting it out there.
Its a matter of perspective. The demand for 3 row SUV is much higher at this price point than the two rows based on things I've read. So its more of the case that they chose to go different direction a bit. Removable or foldable probably didn't make business sense from the cost perspective. It adds to the complexity in design as well as manufacturing...

After spending several minutes around the cargo area with the 3rd row down, the armrest didn't appear to be intrusive. the photo makes it look much bigger protrusion than it really is. BUT I have no need to carry plywood sheet or drywall 8x4' into the back of the vehicle.

The air mattress does seem bit overly inflated or the perspective on the photo makes it look like it.

Well, think of the cargo space like side-by-side two sleeper seat volume in the transocen biz class space in an airplane - arm rest and all...

Edit. Here's an image I found in another thread that gives more accurate arm rest protrusion.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S big enough to sleep in - Business Insider says YES! 1658275648798

Last edited:

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

As is, you really have to love the other spooner. If that third row armrest was not there, you could make it work with someone you like. That armrest really should have been removable or a fold-able surface. Rivian dropped the ball on that one after cancelling the five seater. I think they just gave up on the perfect design (wider floor and flatter surface) in the interest on getting it out sooner (which is not a bad goal).
I’d be curious to see what’s behind the third row armrest interior panel. It wouldn’t surprise me if Rivian used the, “If life hands you lemons turn them into lemonade!” philosophy by capping intrusive wheel wells with a little cubby and armrest to make them a third row comfort and convenience feature. It could be that if you remove the interior panels back there you wouldn’t gain much width for camping but you would gain interior space overall.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Didn't RJ do a video showing that this is capable in the R1S or am I dreaming that?

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I’d be curious to see what’s behind the third row armrest interior panel. It wouldn’t surprise me if Rivian used the, “If life hands you lemons turn them into lemonade!” philosophy by capping intrusive wheel wells with a little cubby and armrest to make them a third row comfort and convenience feature. It could be that if you remove the interior panels back there you wouldn’t gain much width for camping but you would gain interior space overall.
Inside the armrest is empty. You may even be able to store those lemons in it. I don’t remember where I saw it but I will look for it and edit this post when I find it.

Edit: from Marty J video:

Rivian R1T R1S R1S big enough to sleep in - Business Insider says YES! 1658285216391

Last edited:

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Its a matter of perspective. The demand for 3 row SUV is much higher at this price point than the two rows based on things I've read. So its more of the case that they chose to go different direction a bit. Removable or foldable probably didn't make business sense from the cost perspective. It adds to the complexity in design as well as manufacturing...

After spending several minutes around the cargo area with the 3rd row down, the armrest didn't appear to be intrusive. the photo makes it look much bigger protrusion than it really is. BUT I have no need to carry plywood sheet or drywall 8x4' into the back of the vehicle.

The air mattress does seem bit overly inflated or the perspective on the photo makes it look like it.

Well, think of the cargo space like side-by-side two sleeper seat volume in the transocen biz class space in an airplane - arm rest and all...

Edit. Here's an image I found in another thread that gives more accurate arm rest protrusion.
I agree with you that is a matter of perspective. Almost everything is. I however don’t agree with you that cost was the reason for not making it flexible. Sandy’s tear down made it clear that Rivian didn’t mind going the expensive rout to make R1 their flagship. They most likely did a survey and found people like me in minority and there were not enough of us to warrant making the armrest more flimsy than current design. Or make the seats thinner and uncomfortable to make a truly flat floor.

Just to expand on my perspective; Choosing between R1S and R1T has been difficult. Little design flexibility like this could make the choice much easier for me withought taking too much away from people that do use the third row seat regularly, people that won’t use it as a truck and those that won’t sleep in it. But I bet even those people at some point find that wider floor could make carrying something unexpectedly large possible.

But I have a feeling that all is not lost and I may be able to remove it. I am still in R1S team even with this armrest. The spare however still seem like a big foot. I just don’t get how people can choose it as an option but at this stage of the game, no one has seen one in the vehicle.
Sponsored