Quick Overview

Category
RIVIAN CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views
Newbie here. Picked up my R1S a few weeks back.
I park and plug in my garage and preheat the vehicle. I do only drive about 17 miles to work and mix of highway and roads. I am only averaging 1.4-1.5 miles/kwH or max 200 miles of total full charge range.
I realize there are a ton of variables involved with range and this is just driving in standard mode.
Just curious if others are experiencing similar efficiency with our temperatures and driving conditions as this seems really low.
Show full message
bd5400
bd5400
Yes, this is pretty common for me in winter. Efficiency is pretty bad for the first part of the drive but improves over longer distances.

This might improve in the next update. At this time, the truck will pre-heat from the battery, not the wall connection even when plugged in. That kills efficiency in the morning. As of the next update, it’s supposed to pull from the wall if you pre-heat the cabin.
Shill2801
Shill2801
@bd5400 Yeah, I’m very curious to see how the next update improves things. The first 20 minutes of driving over the past month or so has been crummy efficiency, but it improves after that.
Citrinite
I have a dual motor r1t and I see similar behavior but the efficiency typically improves as I drive. That said it usually doesn't take 20 minutes. For example, this morning, after around 5-10 minutes the efficiency improved to over 2.0 miles/kwh while highway driving (~60 mph). All I did this morning was turn the cabin heater, seats, steering wheel on a few minutes before I left. The truck was parked outside.
mrodriguez
I have Quad R1S, 20's and I get about 1.6-1.7 in the morning commute and about 1.7-2.0 in the evening commute. I park in a garage and leave around 730am. I usually start the pre-heat at 700am. That has helped to keep the efficiency up in the morning as I leave it on the charger and set the charge to continue to 730. That will often mean I'm charging maybe 1% right at before leaving which causes the batter to be warmer. On the evening commute I do the same thing and try to warm cabin about 15-30 minutes before leaving. If it is sunny I will also park outside at my work versus the covered parking. Usually doing that I rarely get the snowflake icon on the drive home.

The one thing I would check is your tire pressure. Earlier this winter mine had gone down with the first bit of cold and my range was awful until I realized it was running at like 45PSI vs. the 48 cold recommended. When I bumped it back up my range did improve. A bit more driving in city streets will help too because you will regen some battery. I cannot wait for the next update as the preconditioning will be helpful. Prior to the winter I was getting 2.0-2.3 usually in my commutes.
Aiks Riv
Thank you all so much! Makes me feel better. Had no idea preconditioning came from the battery vs the charger so excited to hear that might be fixed down the road. Other than the range I am loving the vehicle
Craigins
Craigins
Another thing you can do, about an hour or so before you leave (depending on how you are charging) bump of the charging limit to start charging the vehicle. Having the vehicle charge for an hour should help warm up the battery before going out into the cold.

That being said, the heater will also kill your efficiency. I usually get around 2.2 mi/kWh driving at 70. If i turn on the heater it will drop below 2. I typically only use the heater to defog the windshield when it fogs up though.

Pretty much all vehicles need to warm up. You just notice it more with the EVs since you have more detailed fuel consumption data and are paying attention to it. My old prius used to be terrible in the winter with my short commute.
R1 EVY
R1 EVY
I just drove 204 miles on a preconditioned 100% charge (400 max pack) and should've been around 49% upon completion.

Adjusting for cold temps, with 20% loss, that would put me at an anticipated 39% or 156 miles.

My actual was 33% or 133 miles. That's about a 25% loss for the trip. Granted, I drive like I'm actually trying to get somewhere, so I'm just tracking to see how it performs over time.

For the record, I'm glad I got the max pack because it saved me from having to stop along the way 😁.