Sponsored

Maine Rivian Club

A Rivian club supporting other Rivian owners from the Rocky Shores of Downeast Maine to the rural Western Mountains and every in between.

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
RIVIAN CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views
Seoras
Has anyone any experience using the Irving Chargers in Bangor and Newport?

I'm torn trying to decide between what I want, Quad+20"AT and what is far more practical, Dual+21". The range difference would be the difference between having to stop and charge on the way to camp or doing it all in one shot. I live in Southern Maine and most of my day to day driving would be completely unaffected by the range difference, but those trips north are a concern. I was kinda banking on the Tesla network access next year before I realized that most of the Maine superchargers are version 2 and won't be usable. In particular the one in Baileyville being v2 was a huge disappointment.
Show full message
kewlasu
kewlasu
Check plugshare to see what people who have used it said about it. I have not used it or made it up that far north yet with my T.
Reactions: Seoras
Brookliner
Brookliner
Iā€™m of two minds right now. Hereā€™s an unfocused and unclear response.

Iā€™ve made good use of the EVSE around Bangor. Iā€™m usually heading west to Jackman so I use the Gardener ChargePoint which is decent. I really like the ChargePoint in Skowhegan at the Hannafords (get food for camping while charging).

I have the 21ā€ stock wheels and am leaning toward regretting it. Iā€™d like to head deeper into the woods for some more remote fishing and camping. The lack of the tread has me looking at easier trails.

That said, thereā€™s not much north of Bangor for DCFC. So, Iā€™m hanging on to my 21s. However, Maine is really getting it done with adding more stations.

Soā€¦ go with your heart! I guess. Either way youā€™ll be second guessing your decision until the day thereā€™s a 200 kw DCFC in Medway.
Reactions: Seoras
Seoras
Seoras
@Brookliner Thank you! I ended up going with the 20 AT's after all. I've run endless permutations of trips through ABRP and the charging differences just weren't enough to compel the more practical option. The margin on getting to camp in one shot on the 21's would likely end up being too small with a box on the roof, wind and other variables.

Glad to hear the CharePoint chargers are decent, PlugShare does make it sound like everything is terrible all the time at all chargers everywhere. At least there are a few options around Bangor so if one is down it's not the end of the world. I do worry about getting further north where there is only one option and it happens to be offline or degraded. I have visions of driving around with a boot full of EcoFlows and some very long books.
Brookliner
Brookliner
PlugShare reviews are best taken with a grain of salt. Folks typically post reviews when theyā€™re frustrated but not when things go well. Best to check the venderā€™s app before dismissing any EVSE.
CPT
Bangor Irving worked well and was an easy place to top up. Used it a few months ago while in Bangor for kids event.
Seoras
Seoras
Glad to hear! I think between the Irving and the Superchargers in Bangor it is going to make those Northern trips much easier. I'm still waiting on my A2Z adapter but I'll be heading up that way as soon as I can to test the route up to Calais.

I doubt the Calais Supercharger will be on the V4 upgrade schedule any time soon so it will be a 30Amp dryer socket once I'm up there. Morbid curiosity has me looking forward to see how that works as well. Will I get enough range overnight to pop down to Machais or up to Canada etc.

I'll also have to do the route loaded up with kayaks and bikes too. I'm very interested in how much range that knocks off. I'm hoping I can compensate by just driving slower on the airline but I won't be popular with the big rigs if I do that :)
AdamEk
I havenā€™t bought my Rivian yet, but I talked to a guy who was charging his Ford Lightning at the Newport Irving. He said he got a couple hundred miles range while eating supper at the diner.