Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
While some will correctly say this is not deep snow, IME in both the Rockies and Sierra winter conditions, this type of crystallized and then refrozen snow will get any rig stuck. Especially since it looks somewhat harmless. Ice beneath aired out snow that doesn't pack has pretty close to zero traction. Add slope and obstacles and it is a solid test.

I'll admit to getting stuck in ski area parking lots in similar conditions in a full size truck with GY Duratracs, which are more aggressive sneakers.

The 15" height and a motor at each corner of the Rivian sure make up for the extra heft. Interesting comment that the 13" setting still gave copious clearance and softer absorption. Impressive that there is no need for lockers or low as each corner has its own computer controlled setup and that during wheelspin there was no high speed spool up.

Chad needs to get the first max pack as a thank you gift.

The Rivian should absolutely slay the Ike Gauntlet, no problem. Hopefully it is cold temps to see range degradation. Note the regen opportunity is also tremendous as the descent from top of Eisenhower tunnel to Denver drops 5k+' elevation.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
The weight is a bit of concern.

Would camera positions help going by the trees? They didn’t talk about using them at all.

Would lower tire pressure help or hurt in these conditions?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
You can tell Roman wants to have bad stuff to say to the extent he forges in the wrong direction. The guy says he started at 270 and has 206 left. That is actually less than a quarter (a quarter would have been 202 miles left) and Roman rounded .238 up to be 1/3. Roman even glossed over the tree squeeze they were afraid to take the Toyota through.

I’ll stick to watching Tommy’s videos, he is definitely looking at things from a clean sheet.

**edit: checked specs, they said they did not do the tree squeeze because the Tacoma was wider than the Rivian. Checked the specs, says Tundra TRD is 81.6“ and Rivian is 81.8“ so not sure what he was referencing there…

Last edited:

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Looking back at Rivian screen sequences temps were 21F.

Reactions: Max

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
Does anyone know which "mode" allows for most wheel spin?

I can't help but wonder if some of these situations could have had more forward progress if the wheels were allowed to spin "loose" at higher RPMs... [I realize that once you lose traction, extra spinning can further decrease traction at that tire, but from what I've seen on the trail sometimes the faster spinning wheel, even if loose, somehow manages to get a vehicle moving...]

Sponsored

EducatedK9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
This comparison seems a little silly given the fact the R1S killed devils gate. I’m quite dubious the tundra would even make it 1/4 of the way

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Rock Crawl seems like the wrong choice for snow, but maybe I’m mistaken? I would start in all purpose and try other things from there.

BillyBob

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traverse
Occupation
Just retired
Check the back of the steering wheel cover at about 14:35 in the video. It looks really worn down there...

roth_nj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
mechanical engineer
While I get the use of the tundra… a better comparison will be the future prime version. From what I’ve been able to find, Toyota is going to do the base gas engine this year, hybrid next year, and the prime the year after.

I’m actually thinking of getting a tundra shortly because I know I’m looking at a while before the Rivian and I’m still on the fence about it. I’ve had 4 tacomas so far so I like the Toyotas. And I love what rivian is doing and have had my on order for about 6 months now. The last couple months I’ve really learned a lot more about EVs overall, and I’m worried that our current tech doesn’t lend well to a truck. Just can’t get past physics and the limitations of lithium. While I think 300 miles of range is fine, I think that 300 needs to be absolutely worst case and of the useable range (10-80% SOC)…. The better EV cars are 4.5ish kw/mile while the Rivian and lightning are at 2.4.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Rock Crawl seems like the wrong choice for snow, but maybe I’m mistaken? I would start in all purpose and try other things from there.
That’s what I was wondering as well. Having 4 motors and that much torque at each wheel kind of forces you to rethink how you off road. Some situations you want more spin, others you want very little. We are all so used to just putting it in 4 low and keeping 2 wheels on the ground. I don’t blame them for trying rock crawl, but it may not have been the best choice for those conditions. We just don’t know.

I do think they took more difficult tracks on the trail with both vehicles just to see how they perform. You could definitely see in some shots there was an easier way through.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Check the back of the steering wheel cover at about 14:35 in the video. It looks really worn down there...
I see the stitching but not seeing any wear.

BillyBob

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traverse
Occupation
Just retired
I see the stitching but not seeing any wear.
Rivian R1T R1S TFL takes the R1T off road in the snow.  Rivian R1T vs. Toyota Tundra TRD Rivian Steering Wheel.PNG

Maybe that was where tommy gave the steering wheel a death grip when he went off the road in the drag race test?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Rivian Steering Wheel.PNG

Maybe that was where tommy gave the steering wheel a death grip when he went off the road in the drag race test?
That's just the cover stitching. Perhaps not the best stitching job ever but not a wear-n-tear issue.

Rivian R1T R1S TFL takes the R1T off road in the snow.  Rivian R1T vs. Toyota Tundra TRD stitchi

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
You can tell Roman wants to have bad stuff to say to the extent he forges in the wrong direction.
Good!! I'm sick of these overly optimistic videos of the Rivian! I know many on this forum want it to be a perfect vehicle but it absolutely will not be.

I'd rather see someone that wants to hate it tell me the worst possible things about it than a fanboy tell me how cool it is. We all know it's cool, I want to know what's bad about it.
Sponsored