Sponsored

slider2828

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Went to the First Mile Event at Sonoma. It was a bright and sunny Wednesday morning. Yes I played hooky to go to this event, but so worth it.

Background. I ordered an R1S, but I was like how would I like the R1T. Surprising its freaking amazing. More amazing than I could have imagined.
I've raced in AFM 600cc class also and build time attack cars for fun from engine suspension. Currently 240sx widebody.

We got so lucky because we are NOT launch edition customers and usually this drives are reserved only for launch edition or people who are about to get their delivery. Really thanked the driver and the staff because they went into the crowd and got us.

3 things I liked:
Build Quality in and out and materials is amazing. Like supple leather great colors
Pano roof was amazing. Felt 0 heat coming through and 0 glare. Amazing. Was worried it would be too hot without a cover
The screens were very responsive, better than I expected.

3 things I don't like:
Liftgate was heavy even though its assisted. You won't be able to lift it with bags of groceries in the other hand. Should be 100% electric.
Frunk was smaller than I thought, was pretty meh, but good storage from thiefs
Frunk has 0 outlets or usbc's but it does for some crappy reason has a 12volt cigarette light adapter. WTF?!?! Come on....

Driver Railing it on dirt road. 50 around a dirt road that I would not attempt in a Honda Pilot or a Highlander.

0 to 60 in Standard Mode. Definitely low end feels like a model 3, but it gains fast in the middle as well. So definitely a bit more energetic.

Hillclimb and windy narrow dirt road. Geezus my neck was cranking hard and the build quality was amazing. 0 rattle, 0 roll, just straight grunt on the trails
Sponsored

OP
OP

slider2828

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Oh 1 more thing I forgot that I will like about the R1S.
I didn't know it was a whole foot shorter than the truck and the wheel base is a bit shorter too.

and 1 more thing I didn't like. Underseat storage is very underwhelming.

Rivian R1T R1S My Norcal Sonoma First Mile Event Impressions and Videos 27645762554514

Rivian R1T R1S My Norcal Sonoma First Mile Event Impressions and Videos 27645762413356

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
3 things I liked:
Build Quality in and out and materials is amazing. Like supple leather great colors
Pano roof was amazing. Felt 0 heat coming through and 0 glare. Amazing. Was worried it would be too hot without a cover
The screens were very responsive, better than I expected.

3 things I don't like:
Liftgate was heavy even though its assisted. You won't be able to lift it with bags of groceries in the other hand. Should be 100% electric.
Frunk has 0 outlets or usbc's but it does for some crappy reason has a 12volt cigarette light adapter. WTF?!?! Come on....
We had a test at home on Tuesday - generally agree with these points. My wife was particularly disappointed in the frunk - the one in our Boxster gets regular use...low liftover height...holds grocery bags upright...and we were surprised at how "meh" it was too. The magnets on the flap were a nice touch though.

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Thanks for sharing.

I signed up for 1st mile event at Agua Dulce Airpark and I'm wondering whether they let you drive the R1T?

I'm asking because, in the videos, you weren't driving.

OP
OP

slider2828

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
We had a test at home on Tuesday - generally agree with these points. My wife was particularly disappointed in the frunk - the one in our Boxster gets regular use...low liftover height...holds grocery bags upright...and we were surprised at how "meh" it was too. The magnets on the flap were a nice touch though.
Thats what the guide said lol... I was like meh..... its a 70k truck..... should have better engineering for it. It feels almost like an after thought of what to do with it.... Should take a note out of the F150 on how to do it...... Its unfortunate.

Sponsored

OP
OP

slider2828

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Thanks for sharing.

I signed up for 1st mile event at Agua Dulce Airpark and I'm wondering whether they let you drive the R1T?

I'm asking because, in the videos, you weren't driving.
No you can't drive at these events. Also just to not give your hopes up, you have to be like almost VIP invited to get a ride along. They generally don't give ride alongs because the ride alongs are for people who are almost getting it delivered and you get a "special" email sign up, not the general one. Like I said, we got SUPER lucky as we went on a Wednesday morning.

Also expect super long lines on the weekend and not much time with the car. That is what the guides told us.

So yeah..... Hope you get to ride along, its quite an experience.

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

Thanks for the info and video!

I, for one, really appreciate the 12v in the frunk. It's better to run fridges w/ DC because you avoid efficiency loss. Would be good to have all the options, but if there could only be *one*, I'd probably pick 12v.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V

I, for one, really appreciate the 12v in the frunk. It's better to run fridges w/ DC because you avoid efficiency loss. Would be good to have all the options, but if there could only be *one*, I'd probably pick 12v.
Is it ok and safe to run a refrigerator in such a small closed area? Because air in rest of the space will be heated by a lot and might impact the heat exchange.

OP
OP

slider2828

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Is it ok and safe to run a refrigerator in such a small closed area? Because air in rest of the space will be heated by a lot and might impact the heat exchange.
Yeah I agree. The frunk is probably size of 1 golf clubs and and 1/2..... Also it has no air circulation and the front grill doesn't open...

Yeah you are very welcome!

I get it, but the frunk is smaller and more enclosed than you think. Its all about flexibility and utility..... I would run a movie projector or like a electric kettle or a cooktop. It should be multi use is what I am thinking.

The Rivian is an offroad car driving experience. I wish it had a bit more utility and OH I asked about V2H specifically!

They said they have "thought about it." I said is it on the roadmap, *crickets*..... so I am going to say its not going to be there in my opinion. That is a bit of a let down.

karma.rules

First Name
Venu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL
Occupation
Software Professional
3 things I don't like:
Thanks for sharing the experience. Looks like you guys had a blast. Fun to watch. Can't wait for our turn. I am surprised you felt the Frunk was small. Everyone seemed to say it was big. As for your comment on 12volt in the Frunk, ... actually you might appreciate that eventually because it will allow users to power a portable powered refrigerator. They run off 12v and I assume one can use a 12v to USB dongles anyways to get USB ports. It would have been nice to have had some USB ports too...but if one or the other ...I might prefer 12v. As for the V2H, RJ Scaringe was on the record on a video interview with the very first First Mile customers at Normal plant ... that they are working on a accessory type external device to achieve V2H feature for R1T and R1S in the future.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

Not sure if it's safe, but I keep a fridge in the back of my Element. When everything is packed, the fridge is surrounded by all sorts of crap, so there not a lot of circulated air. Seems to run OK?

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I’m not agreeing on the frunk being small. Bigger than my 911 and much bigger than my M3P. You can fit a human being in it and I could easily fit a whole week of groceries in there - maybe we need to eat more ;)
As for the tailgate, I also disagree. I found it rather easy to close with one hand. Maybe it’s a matter of putting your hand towards the center of it rather than the side. Not sure why they couldn’t make it “automatic” like most pickup trucks these days.

OP
OP

slider2828

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Thanks for sharing the experience. Looks like you guys had a blast. Fun to watch. Can't wait for our turn. I am surprised you felt the Frunk was small. Everyone seemed to say it was big. As for your comment on 12volt in the Frunk, ... actually you might appreciate that eventually because it will allow users to power a portable powered refrigerator. They run off 12v and I assume one can use a 12v to USB dongles anyways to get USB ports. It would have been nice to have had some USB ports too...but if one or the other ...I might prefer 12v. As for the V2H, RJ Scaringe was on the record on a video interview with the very first First Mile customers at Normal plant ... that they are working on a accessory type external device to achieve V2H feature for R1T and R1S in the future.
Yeah no USBs either. I couldn't believe it.... I am sure those fridges also have a standard 120 power adapter....

Out of everything, V2H is a big deal for me. I guess I will need to look at that vehicle. I don't even remember a mention about it and the people there didn't comment on it. Also a big deal when there will be power outages nowadays are the normal in California.

Not sure if it's safe, but I keep a fridge in the back of my Element. When everything is packed, the fridge is surrounded by all sorts of crap, so there not a lot of circulated air. Seems to run OK?
I dunno I guess.... someone will just need to try it.

I’m not agreeing on the frunk being small. Bigger than my 911 and much bigger than my M3P. You can fit a human being in it and I could easily fit a whole week of groceries in there - maybe we need to eat more ;)
As for the tailgate, I also disagree. I found it rather easy to close with one hand. Maybe it’s a matter of putting your hand towards the center of it rather than the side. Not sure why they couldn’t make it “automatic” like most pickup trucks these days.
I dunno about a human being in it..... Are you sure? Really with 2 kids, a dog, and 2 adults, it definitely won't fit a week of groceries.

For the trunk, maybe I was at a weird angle, but 90% of the time, I will have something fairly bulky and heavy in the other hand while closing the tailgate. A power tool like a saw, a pair of ski's, a big dog, kids.... I really don't think its that easy to close.

Oh in case of anyone with R1S, the spare is a small donut. Not full size spare on R1S.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

@slider2828 there are videos of grown men in it (and I saw a few people doing it at the Sonoma event - no, it wasn’t me…).
I do have a smaller family than yours (3, no dog) so that might be why I consider the frunk big enough.
And for the tailgate, the best might be to do 2 trips rather than have an accident but I definitely see your point.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Oh in case of anyone with R1S, the spare is a small donut. Not full size spare on R1S.
Just to clarify on the R1S spare.

It is not a donut spare. It is a compact spare that is designed to inflate when needed to a full size tire.
Sponsored