Sponsored

First Tesla Superchargers for other automakers begin service, higher fees and membership offered

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

So the beginning of the end of another alleged Tesla moat - like the batteries (commercially available), OTA (all do that now in the EV space) etc.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Great news that they're actually committed to doing this for their entire global network. I thought their statements about it before were a little cagey about whether opening the network might just be limited to certain markets.

Now... about that Tesla connector... I know an adapter is technologically possible, but I'm really hoping Tesla will start transitioning North American vehicles to CCS so we'll have a single standard. All of their new stations (and any station they're upgraded or expanding) should have at least 1/2 of the pedestals be both Tesla and CCS, if not every pedestal. I won't be surprised if that happens because Tesla will want the potential infrastructure credits, and those could easily be tied to J1772/CCS.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I believe Tesla said select Superchargers. I take that as meaning not opening chargers in areas where they know they don't have enough capacity.

Plus I expect it will take a Tesla adapter that IDs the users vehicle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I see Tesla is starting to install Starlink at some supercharger locations. I’m hoping this will help with the billing and handshakes to other manufacturers vehicles when charging.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Only casually following this topic but my understanding:
  • Could still be years before this is a reality in the U.S.
  • No guaranty Rivian will have access could be VW, Hyundai (chosen randomly) only.
  • May be available at only 20% of chargers that are underutilized.
  • Tesla may require you buy an adapter from them for 200 bucks (again random #)
  • Rivian could decide they don't want us using Tesla network due to ongoing litigation/ bad feelings or renewable energy concerns.
To early for me to get my hopes up to high.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
So the beginning of the end of another alleged Tesla moat - like the batteries (commercially available), OTA (all do that now in the EV space) etc.
I would not go that far.

StoneDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The connector is only half the problem with Tesla superchargers. The cable length IMO is a much bigger problem, they are just barely long enough to connect to a Tesla. Rivian’s charge port is on the opposite side of the vehicle. Only way to plug in would be to occupy the adjacent stall and plug into the wrong supercharger, meaning you would be occupying two spaces. Doubt this would go over very well at a busy supercharging station.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
The connector is only half the problem with Tesla superchargers. The cable length IMO is a much bigger problem, they are just barely long enough to connect to a Tesla. Rivian’s charge port is on the opposite side of the vehicle. Only way to plug in would be to occupy the adjacent stall and plug into the wrong supercharger, meaning you would be occupying two spaces. Doubt this would go over very well at a busy supercharging station.
What do you mean? Rivian (and most other EVs) have the charge port on the driver's side, just like a Tesla. It's just at the front rather than the rear. So pulling head in, it's actually in a better position than the Tesla is?

Sponsored

StoneDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
What do you mean? Rivian (and most other EVs) have the charge port on the driver's side, just like a Tesla. It's just at the front rather than the rear. So pulling head in, it's actually in a better position than the Tesla is?
When a Tesla backs into a supercharger spot, they plug into the charger on the drivers side of the vehicle. If an R1T pulls in head first, the drivers side of the vehicle is now on opposite side of the stall. The supercharger cable is gonna be 5 feet short.

https://insideevs.com/news/545500/nontesla-evs-blocks-tesla-superchargers/

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
There are a few (definitely in the minority) SC stations where you can approach the terminal from its back side. Lebanon, NH comes to mind. No problem there. For the majority of stations an "extension cord" of some sort would be required for the Rivians to use the present configuration. This is feasible but there are going to have to be limitations on available current (don't see an extension cord including a coolant loop) but still limited current from a working Tesla terminal is better than no current from a failed EA terminal. Eventually, if Tesla wants to make charging available to other OEMs' products, they will have to retrofit longer cables.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Yeah, with most other EVs on the market, the charge port is on the front of the car, driver’s side. So to charge the R1T (or most others) at a Tesla charger, you have to effectively block two spaces. The exception would be if you can pull in next to the stall furthest to the right or partially into that space to use it, thus not blocking more than one charge spot. A few Tesla Supercharger locations have pull-through stalls for people with trailers. These will work great for the R1T or Lightning, but inconveniences someone else who might want it if pulling a trailer.

Since Tesla chargers will need a Tesla to CCS adapter, I think it would make sense for Tesla (or someone) to make an adapter that is also an extension, allowing most other vehicles to use the charger designated for the space they park in.

StoneDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
There are a few (definitely in the minority) SC stations where you can approach the terminal from its back side. Lebanon, NH comes to mind. No problem there. For the majority of stations an "extension cord" of some sort would be required for the Rivians to use the present configuration. This is feasible but there are going to have to be limitations on available current (don't see an extension cord including a coolant loop) but still limited current from a working Tesla terminal is better than no current from a failed EA terminal. Eventually, if Tesla wants to make charging available to other OEMs' products, they will have to retrofit longer cables.
Agreed, only real solution to this problem is going to involve Tesla retrofitting almost all existing SC locations, which could take years, if it ever actually happens. They were never designed to be open to non-teslas. I was initially excited to hear Tesla was going to open their SC network, but between the issues of cable length and the need for an adapter, its not a legitimate solution for most non-teslas. Fingers crossed the RAN network has a quick roll out.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
Since Tesla chargers will need a Tesla to CCS adapter, I think it would make sense for Tesla (or someone) to make an adapter that is also an extension, allowing most other vehicles to use the charger designated for the space they park in.
I believe they are liquid cooled, so making an extension would be challenging and expensive. Or charge rate would limited.
Sponsored