trmaier

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro Hybrid, R1T El Cap, BM
Clubs

What follows are our observations from the First Mile Event on Saturday, October 2nd, in Normal, IL. We are pre-order holders for a Max Pack R1T, and our initial configuration was Glacier White exterior with Black Mountain interior and 20" AT tires.

This was my absolute first time seeing the R1T in person. Pictures do not do this vehicle justice! Seeing the fit and finish in person really brings home the premium feel of this truck. Additionally, the exterior and interior colors really need to be seen in person and also seem to change based on lighting. Saturday morning was overcast in Normal, and many of the colors looked different from photos we've seen online in full sun vs. shade. The Compass Yellow in particular, was much more a deep, rich yellow than any photos I've seen of it. I really liked it in person, but was outvoted 1-1 on this color. ;-) In fact, most colors on display (only ones we didn't see in person were Limestone and Canyon Red) looked much better than online photos. The only color we were not considering was Forrest Green, as that's just not our color, but to each their own. Interior color options also need to be seen in person, as these surprised us as well. Initially, we were leaning towards Black Mountain, as we've always been black interior people. However, there is a distinct green stitching to these seats that doesn't really come out in the online photos. Additionally, the black wood looked very ashy and washed out, at least in the overcast lighting. For us a turn-off, but again, to each their own. We were surprised to be drawn toward the Ocean Coast interior. It was much more a grey color, with slight hints of blue, in person. Additionally, we liked the black accent colors in the stitching and inserts. We are still not sold on the natural ash wood color, as it can appear a bit pinkish to whitewashed. We've heard in full sunlight, this has a much more natural tone. We would be tempted to darken this wood with a light over-stain someday, or alternatively change out the wood trim to the brown trim that comes with the green seating. That brown trim really pops. Would be interested to hear from others that are considering a similar move, as to how they think that might be possible.

Additional observations from this weekend:

• Most of the vehicles displayed the 20" AT tires, and none had the blacked out rims. We did not see an example of the 21" tires. The 22" tires were on a Rivian Blue model that was set to a "low" ride height. A really interesting look, almost "low-riderish" :-D. For contrast, there was an El Cap Grey set at a "high" ride height, and it too had a unique perspective. Interesting how the vehicle looks so different at different heights!
  • The full size spare looks to be a nice add-on, especially if anyone is considering any off roading. Really liked how it is stowed in the bed, and can be removed, leaving an underbed storage space perfect for an improvised "tailgate cooler" that has a drain plug as well.
  • The camp kitchen looked even more impressive in person. One aspect of the camp kitchen that hadn't caught my attention previously was that the whole unit was in three pieces that can be easily lifted off in sections by one person. Also, the water reservoir has a spray hose attachment that can really shoot water a good distance. Perfect for hosing off whatever needs cleaned.
  • The ever-important cup holders were much more sturdy in person than they appeared online. They look entirely usable!
  • Having not seen pictures of the all-weather floor mats previously, they were really attractive and functional looking in person, and the Rivian compass logo insert is a nice touch.
  • The center console is huge! The gull wing opening is unique and took a bit for me to get use to, but overall very nice. The very large charging mat that sits in front of the console is a very nice touch and a perfect location, IMO. It also seems big enough to charge two phones at once, but I could only approximate this by placing my phone on the left and right side and confirming that my phone charged in both locations. There is also a slot at the front of the charging mat that allows one to prop their phone up for better viewing (although, obviously without charging).
  • The frunk did not appear that large at first glance, but when you pop up the foldable floor (and snap in place at the back of the frunk with two magnetic latches) the depth really adds to the storage capacity. Probably not needed for a trip to the grocery store, but on long trips, you can throw bigger bags up front as well.
  • Both front and rear seating was better than anticipated. I'm a big guy, 6'4" and head room was absolutely no problem, and seat comfort was great. Could do long trips without issue. Rear seating was even comfortable and enough leg room for my height.
  • Interior, in general, was very pleasant. Very nice touches throughout. There were speakers EVERYWHERE, and sound quality was exceptional. The suede headliner looked (and felt) very classy in person. Wasn't sure about that when I heard it was suede. The wood grained interior was fantastic, although we're still not sold on colors.
  • We didn't go into a deep dive on the infotainment center, as we could have spent all day and not giving it justice, but was impressed by all the camera views and the ability to do almost everything from the center screen. I'm still thinking it was a mistake not to include Sirius/XM radio, as this being sold as an adventure vehicle, there WILL be times when you are in the middle of nowhere and without cell service. It sure would be nice to be able to switch to Sirius/XM for content without having to worry about connecting your phone via bluetooth and making sure you've remembered to downloaded Spotify playlists to your phone!
  • The removable bluetooth speaker under the center console sounds great! The one video I included was of it playing tunes at the camp kitchen setup. The video doesn't really do the speaker justice. It really pumps out tunes!
  • One random observation to end: I've never really noticed the air scoop built into the front fender well before, but a nice style touch (that I'm sure is functional as well).
I'm sure there's a lot I've missed. If you see anything in the pics you have questions about, let me know. Go see this vehicle in person when/if you have the chance. We drove 4.5 hours to do so, and it was well worth it!

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_154051574.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_153206982.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_153051243.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_153025077.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_152641183.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_152626210.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_152601640.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_152557891.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_152538760.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_152517796.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_152506802.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_151911623.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_151807068.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_150702686.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_150651725.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_145654708.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_145101255.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_145028792.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_144244203.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_144201487.PORTRAIT

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_143921144.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_143451917.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_143438727.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_143326007.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_143013795.PORTRAIT

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_141814293.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_141804362.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_141638640.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T PXL_20211002_141441923.MP

VIDEO:

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Great pics! Thanks for sharing! So what colors (interior and exterior) did you guys decide on?

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
Thank you, I really enjoyed reading your notes and the picture. Especially the comments on the green interior, which excites me the most.

Sponsored

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
I'm a bit shocked, that for them making their custom-sized 21's stock, that they are making it so hard for people to get a good look at them. Honestly, I really like all their wheel options (except the 21s at this point). I need a reason to like them if I'm going to go with them, and they're not giving us much chance to do so.

I get that they're trying to push the ruggedness of them. But show us what it *can* do on the 21's, and you might change some minds.

Last edited:

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
2 questions, if you know the answers. If not, can anyone else going to a First Mile Event please ask.

1. Off-road option. Besides 2 tow hooks in front, what specifically comes with the off-road option? What sort of additional protection, in what areas, with what materials, and for what purposes? $2K is a fairly expensive option and I'd like to be clear about what the off-road package involves.

2. Cargo crossbars and attachments to the crossbars. Cargo crossbars appear to click in and click out easily, and that's my concern. Once they are clicked in, are they secured with some sort of locking device? Or can someone come along, easily remove them and make off with them?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
2 questions, if you know the answers. If not, can anyone else going to a First Mile Event please ask.

1. Off-road option. Besides 2 tow hooks in front, what specifically comes with the off-road option? What sort of additional protection, in what areas, with what materials, and for what purposes? $2K is a fairly expensive option and I'd like to be clear about what the off-road package involves.

2. Cargo crossbars and attachments to the crossbars. Cargo crossbars appear to click in and click out easily, and that's my concern. Once they are clicked in, are they secured with some sort of locking device? Or can someone come along, easily remove them and make off with them?
Cross bars are key lockable.

OP
OP
trmaier

trmaier

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Thank you, I really enjoyed reading your notes and the picture. Especially the comments on the green interior, which excites me the most.
The green interior did look good, it just wasn't for us. The green is a very nice color, almost a greyish-green. When we were sitting in the cab, and particularly in the rear seats, it almost looked grey to us, but I think it was the overcast day that contributed towards that. The tone of the wood was what we really loved about the green interior. That was fantastic!

OP
OP
trmaier

trmaier

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Not sure about Q#1. All that is immediately apparent are the tow hooks, but I've heard there is some additional underbody protection with the off-road option.
Q#2, as godfodder0901 stated, they are key lockable. I wish I would have taken a picture of the bottom of the crossbar, but they are designed in a way that they are latched into place when locked. It looks like a robust system.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Cross bars are key lockable.
Yes... But can the key cylinder be swapped out? For example, if I buy two sets of crossbars, can they be keyed-alike?

I asked Rivian CS, but they said they didn't know. I have some Thule accessories that I was able to swap cylinders on, and it's great to have one key for everything. I understand Yakima makes the Rivian bars, so I am fine if it's a different key, but I'd at least hope we can have ONE key for all the Rivian accessories.

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

Thanks for sharing your experience and opinions on the colors and the overall impression. I had changed from White/Ocean Coast to Launch Green/Ocean Coast due to limited exclusivity of the launch green, but boy do the white R1T pictures pop! Good thing i probably have time before my number comes up for a guide call and selection, since i'm sure i'll go back and forth several more times. Thanks again, and glad you were impressed!

hkb26

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5
Clubs

Regarding #2
They have a lock on each attach point as shown in the manual, page 109
Rivian R1T R1S Photos and observations from First Mile Event with R1T 685F37FF-6322-41D7-B558-4642DA9E2056

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Did you see any trucks with a gear shuttle only?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Yes... But can the key cylinder be swapped out? For example, if I buy two sets of crossbars, can they be keyed-alike?

I asked Rivian CS, but they said they didn't know. I have some Thule accessories that I was able to swap cylinders on, and it's great to have one key for everything. I understand Yakima makes the Rivian bars, so I am fine if it's a different key, but I'd at least hope we can have ONE key for all the Rivian accessories.
Yes. I've been told they use the Yakima SKS system.
SKS Lock Cores – Yakima
Sponsored