Sponsored

Interview video from San Fran with Brian Gase, R.J.

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Here's a well-done video posted from the San Fran event interviewing Rivian engineer Brian Gase, and R.J. Brian explains how Alexa integration will work and R.J. talks about branded chargers — the Rivian Adventure Network. Thanks to Tesla Raj for posting.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SpinDoc7

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Here's a well-done video posted from the San Fran event interviewing Rivian engineer Brian Gase, and R.J. Brian explains how Alexa integration will work and R.J. talks about branded chargers — the Rivian Adventure Network. Thanks to Tesla Raj for posting.

Brian mentions (6:18) they will offer optional skid plates front and rear for optimum offroad protection.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
These folks impress me every time they discuss their vision. Just a few of the coolest bits:
- no wasted space in the truck
- 6ft guy fitting in the third row of the SUV
- Up to 300W charging
- Rivian network centered around major adventure destinations (hopefully our backyard here near the Olympics and Cascades in NW Washington)
- minimal buttons to focus on future rather than legacy features
- focus on keeping your data private
- the look on the Tesla fan’s face when talking with them

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
Waiting for some serious car journalisms on the Rivian. Theses awkward YouTube interviewers RJ swats away like flies. Goofy personality, dress like your most valuable asset is an Xbox, poor understanding of automotive mechanics. RJ “ I got this”

OP
OP
SpinDoc7

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Waiting for some serious car journalisms on the Rivian. Theses awkward YouTube interviewers RJ swats away like flies. Goofy personality, dress like your most valuable asset is an Xbox, poor understanding of automotive mechanics. RJ “ I got this”
Point taken. Still, these YouTubers do manage occasionally to extract some interesting info, e.g. the details about Alexa, skid plate options, etc. I don’t think we’re going to see “professional” auto journos/websites involved until Rivian starts giving test drives, hopefully later this year.

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Point taken. Still, these YouTubers do manage occasionally to extract some interesting info, e.g. the details about Alexa, skid plate options, etc. I don’t think we’re going to see “professional” auto journos/websites involved until Rivian starts giving test drives, hopefully later this year.
Agreed...No one has mentioned what RJ said to Raj in regards to the Rivian Adventure Network when referring to the "Rivian only" charging network. I would assume these would be Level 3. I wish I had seen this before I went to Fully Charged so I could have had the opportunity to ask the question to the Team.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
... Rivian Adventure Network when referring to the "Rivian only" charging network. I would assume these would be Level 3. I wish I had seen this before I went to Fully Charged so I could have had the opportunity to ask the question to the Team.
They are committed to the CCS standard which means that any vehicle with a CCS plug can plug into whatever they build or buy for this. Tesla used to be protected from anyone else connecting by their proprietary connector. They are no longer thus protected (Tesla Tap). But they can still protect themselves via software. A Tesla SC terminal will not pass juice to a car that is not registered in their system. No doubt Rivian will do the same.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

They are committed to the CCS standard which means that any vehicle with a CCS plug can plug into whatever they build or buy for this. Tesla used to be protected from anyone else connecting by their proprietary connector. They are no longer thus protected (Tesla Tap). But they can still protect themselves via software. A Tesla SC terminal will not pass juice to a car that is not registered in their system. No doubt Rivian will do the same.
I never said they weren't committed to CCS. I was just stating that Rivian would have their own network of chargers at these "Adventure" areas that ONLY Rivians could use. Those were RJ's words...not mine.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I never said they weren't committed to CCS.
I never said that you said they aren't committed to CCS.

I was just stating that Rivian would have their own network of chargers at these "Adventure" areas that ONLY Rivians could use.
I was just stating that as they are committed to CCS that the only way they can prevent vehicles other than Rivians from charging at them is through the software interface.

Those were RJ's words...not mine.
This has nothing to do with who said what. It is a consequence of the nature of the CCS interface.

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I never said that you said they aren't committed to CCS.

I was just stating that as they are committed to CCS that the only way they can prevent vehicles other than Rivians from charging at them is through the software interface.

This has nothing to do with who said what. It is a consequence of the nature of the CCS interface.
Copy. There were no emojis or smiley faces. Seven out of ten times, there is bad information spread on these forums...Just making sure that those that would question it understand what I am saying.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Roger that.

The thing that was most surprising about this video was the revelation of dual LIDARs. Anyone know anything about those?

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Roger that.

The thing that was most surprising about this video was the revelation of dual LIDARs. Anyone know anything about those?
I knew they were there. What specifically do you want to know?? If you go to the Technology section of the Rivian page, they lay out all of the autonomous sensors that Rivian will use in their vehicles.

Estolworthy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti and Kia
Occupation
LEO
This was the first video I have ever seen with the rear seat storage in the R1T.
Sponsored