Sponsored

🛑 No Surprise, but Non-Rivians won't charge at RAN's

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

In case anyone was wondering (and I wasn't expecting it to work), I just tried charging my brother's Polestar 2 at the newly opened Phoenix RAN and got the following message:

Rivian R1T R1S 🛑 No Surprise, but Non-Rivians won't charge at RAN's 1706237156465

Was only curious because of what I observed during a RAN stop last month.

So just in case anyone else was curious, to no one's surprise, charging a non-Rivian at a RAN does not currently work.
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
In case anyone was wondering (and I wasn't expecting it to work), I just tried charging my brother's Polestar 2 at the newly opened Phoenix RAN and got the following message:

IMG_1236.jpeg

So just in case anyone else was curious, to no one's surprise, charging a non-Rivian at a RAN does not currently work.
Thanks for checking, I had not had a chance to try it yet, as we had discussed on the other thread.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

Lots of people feel the need to test this.

I saw a guy in a Porsche trying to charge at the Vegas RAN. I tried to tell him it wasn’t going to work, but he insisted some Porsche forum said it would. So I watched him keep trying for 5 minutes before taking pictures to share on the internet.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer

I saw a guy in a Porsche trying to charge at the Vegas RAN. I tried to tell him it wasn’t going to work, but he insisted some Porsche forum said it would. So I watched him keep trying for 5 minutes before taking pictures to share on the internet.
This test has to do with Rivian owners that have the app and charging account. The app has the Start Charger button.

Sponsored

mtberman

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T DM large,2019 Chev Bolt, 2021 Audi e-tron
I charged my Audi for free at RAN chargers in Oregon last year. I think they are all Rivian-only now.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus

Folks are confusing Waypoints for RAN. Even some Rivian owners. Multiple past posts in the subreddit from people claiming they were at a RAN whilst sharing pictures of Waypoints.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I charged my Audi for free at RAN chargers in Oregon last year. I think they are all Rivian-only now.

DCFC (RAN) or level 2 (Waypoint)? Any pics?

Rivian R1T R1S 🛑 No Surprise, but Non-Rivians won't charge at RAN's IMG_20240125_205845

Sponsored

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly

You put that story out there and don't post a pic?

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

You put that story out there and don't post a pic?
He was taking his own internet pictures.

I forgot to mention he was parked across three charging stalls while doing this.

It was very on-brand for a Porsche driver.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

IMG_1236.jpeg

If I was RIVAN I would have a sense of humor and display on the screen

"Are you serious?, you're kidding right? click the QR Code and get a real EV then come back"

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer

I can confirm the Vegas chargers do get a lot of non rivians pulling up trying to charge. I had to point at the sign twice last night that read "Rivian only " ... I then pointed them in the direction of the level 2 chargers 25 feet away and also gave the location of the EA fast chargers down the street. I will say, Barstow and Vegas were my two first times using RAN chargers and they worked flawless. My guess, similar to the experience of a Tesla driver gets at Superchargers station. Totally the opposite of my experiences at EA.
Sponsored