Engineer

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
Curious about what the aero test rig looks like…

Sponsored

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
6+ months later and still no concrete data from the company, and multiple tests from myself and others which show somewhere between 0 to 2% WORSE efficiency with these on.

Incidentally I've had these on my truck since the day I got it, and after 5550 miles I'm averaging 1.88 mi/kWh. Pretty bad efficiency and hard to imagine it would have been even worse without the aeros. Again backed up by my multiple tests earlier in this thread.

Now have to go figure out how to navigate the promised return process.
Rivian R1T R1S The first (and only) Aero Spoke Inserts for Rivian R1T / R1S 20" All-Terrain Wheels! 1000036469

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

8 month anniversary of this thread!
Any updates?
Still trying to determine if this is snake oil or something I should buy for the winter instead of other wheels.

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

8 month anniversary of this thread!
Any updates?
Still trying to determine if this is snake oil or something I should buy for the winter instead of other wheels.
ha ha, go ahead and order them - if you're not satisfied, I'll give you a full refund. Probably best for you to test and prove you're happy with the product :)

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did one more test since my last post, and this time I ended up with 1% better efficiency with the aeros on. Could just be noise from slight variations. So the overall average of my tests is right around zero. I am curious if they will help slightly more with different (AS) tires, so I decided to hold onto them for now until I swap to those.

But I wouldn't drop the money on them at this point, no.

Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
I did one more test since my last post, and this time I ended up with 1% better efficiency with the aeros on. Could just be noise from slight variations. So the overall average of my tests is right around zero. I am curious if they will help slightly more with different (AS) tires, so I decided to hold onto them for now until I swap to those.

But I wouldn't drop the money on them at this point, no.
Was your test at highway speeds? The faster the truck goes, the bigger the impact a aerodynamic improvement will have. It would good to do a 80 mph comparison test.

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Was your test at highway speeds? The faster the truck goes, the bigger the impact a aerodynamic improvement will have. It would good to do a 80 mph comparison test.
Yeah the first couple tests I did at 70. This last one I did at 75. Maybe I'll try one at 80 next time I'm on i5 or something.

Ivman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Y Performance, 2016 Ram Rebel, R1T
Clubs

They look nice, so i'll keep them. They seem very high quality. I saw greater efficiency gains by adding 1 psi to my tires though.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Looking at the design of these aero inserts, they have a divet where it looks like they should be flush to better reduce drag. There may still be some net + effect, but I would guess it's barely measurable, and no chance there's 7% better range as claimed. This seems like something you might buy if you like the way it looks, but definetly not for efficiency...

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Also, for anyone testing, need to pay special attention to wind speed and direction. Because it is rarely consistent, best if you can test with as close to 0 wind as possible.
Also, recommend a relatively flat stretch where you can run 3-4 tests back to back (10 miles each way, with and without). Also need to target speed of at least 65 mph where these would be most noticeable, 60 mph and under you will not see any difference. Ideally run 80 to see what if any difference there is...
Sponsored