First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I've never understood how much of Idaho isn't a national park. I mean... I do. But. Man does it deserves being one.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I know this area would represent a major drive for many, especially those from Texas and folks East of the Mississippi, but this should be one of our Annual Rivunion locations in the first couple of years. There are campgrounds that I will do my best to secure exclusively for us, should people be interested.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I know this area would represent a major drive for many, especially those from Texas and folks East of the Mississippi, but this should be one of our Annual Rivunion locations in the first couple of years. There are campgrounds that I will do my best to secure exclusively for us, should people be interested.
Count me in!! :clap:

jessefive

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
I knew there was a reason I kept clicking on this thread! Those pics are incredible!

Sponsored

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
For those people who think this area is desolate, you are correct. But that's part of its allure. It is beautiful and full of wonderful adventures, if people would stop, look, and explore.
EXCELLENT POST DUCKY!! Oh so beautiful!! ?

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Does anybody know how Rivian is planning on integrating up to date charging stations into their infotainment system? Will it be live and show if the station is currently in use or under maintenance?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yes, yes I know I'm wasting my time.

But I do want people to understand that ABRP and the other programs can be of great benefit to those trying to learn about BEV.

I promise to waste no more time or bandwidth on this.
AJ,

Having no full BEV to yet use with ABRP, I'm looking forward to trying it out with several long road trips once the R1T arrives. I'll be curious to see how well it tracks with reality and how it compares to the other route planners I'm hearing and reading about.

ABRP's concept seems solid and, should it's projections mirror my real world experience, it'll be a huge help in the future.

Time will tell....

To both you and News, thanks for the passionate give and take. I haven't read all of the interactions yet (you two are quite prolific) but I do appreciate the reasoned inputs and verbal fireworks I've experienced so far. Now, it's time for me to join my neighbors outside for the real thing. ???

Hoping a safe and sane Independence Day to all!

Long Live The Republic! ??

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

EXCELLENT POST DUCKY!! Oh so beautiful!! ?
Annie,

Thanks for that! While I'm looking forward to occasionally rolling solo through many areas in the PNW, I'm really excited for the chance to explore the country together with fellow Riviots and other friends, and to get to know one another better. Part of the allure of the Eastern side of our two states, along with Central Idaho, is enjoying the dark sky with telescopes, cameras, conversation, and fine Scotch.

Although It's magical to see hundreds of miles from a mountaintop at sunrise or sunset, it's always mind-boggling to me to see the Milky Way and other parts of our galaxy fill the sky during the quiet of a very dark and Moonless night. This is especially true during the Perseid, Leonid and Geminid meteor showers. While the first two seem to get the most press, the Geminids are my favorite, even if they take place in December (13th and 14th). Unlike the first two, the December showers last all night and, like the Perseids, come out of the Northeastern sky, making it easier to catch the show. To see something that has traveled through deep space for billions of years burn up like a flashbulb in a second fills me with wonder every time.

Also, the Geminids rain down at a greater rate of more than one per minute, all night long. With it dark so early, you don't have to wait until the middle of the night like the other two, you just have to stay warm and hope for clear skies. Both of those things can be problematic in the Northwest, especially West of the Cascades. But on a clear evening, it is awesome!

This year, the Moon will be missing from the pre-dawn show of the Perserid showers in August, but it will still be in the Western sky during the pre-dawn Leonid showers in November. Unfortunately, the waxing Moon will fill the evening skies during the December showers. We could still see some activity, but the Moon will be up early and will be more than half full during the 13th and 14th. The later pre-dawn show has better viewing potential, but also the potential for being pretty frosty at that time of year.

Oh well, as the nerdy Astronomer says, "The rotation of Earth really makes my day".

Enjoy your 4th of July!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Then I think you should drop a line to the fellows at the Earth Rotation Service and tell them how much you appreciate what they do.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I would really like to see more of this occurring from current gas stations or convenient stores. Get ahead of the demand and stay relevant

https://www.motortrend.com/news/7-eleven-ev-charging/
Unsurprisingly enough there is a trade association of convenience store owners and unsurprisingly enough they publish a magazine. A couple of years back that magazine had a long article about the benefits of adding charging at your store. The obvious one is that while the cars are charging the owners are inside buying. This is basically the model used with petrol at places like Cumberland Farms, Checkrite, WaWa..... today. There is already quite a bit of charging at convenience stores (Sheetz, WaWa, Checkrite....). I think we are going to expect to have to pay. While it is evidently true that the convenience stores make more money inside than they do at the pumps they still charge for gas. It isn't free to them no more will be electricity.

Does anybody know how Rivian is planning on integrating up to date charging stations into their infotainment system? Will it be live and show if the station is currently in use or under maintenance?
I don't but can only guess that they will do it the same way that Tesla does. Tesla maintains location and status information in a data base at the mother ship and sends info on the relevant stations to the car over the cell phone network. Real time info is then presented to the driver on the navigation display.

Having no full BEV to yet use with ABRP, I'm looking forward to trying it out with several long road trips once the R1T arrives. I'll be curious to see how well it tracks with reality and how it compares to the other route planners I'm hearing and reading about.

ABRP's concept seems solid and, should it's projections mirror my real world experience, it'll be a huge help in the future.
Start playing with it now so that you will be familiar with it when the truck arrives. It's very useful for newbies in learning what the capabilities of their new BEV will be.

In particular understand that the most important input to it is the consumption rate (Wh/mi or Wh/km). The main driver of it's "accuracy" is that number. As you drive your truck you will, if you are at all nerdy, learn to focus on that number and how it varies under various driving conditions. The vehicle will probably present it to you in various ways. Your personal driving style influences it a lot. Once you have a handle on what that number is for you you can put that into ABRP (or any other planning program) and get more "accurate" plans. OTOH, as was observed, the defaults ABRP uses seem to be pretty conservative and you can just run with that and still get a pretty good idea as to what you will experience on the road.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Unsurprisingly enough there is a trade association of convenience store owners and unsurprisingly enough they publish a magazine. A couple of years back that magazine had a long article about the benefits of adding charging at your store. The obvious one is that while the cars are charging the owners are inside buying. This is basically the model used with petrol at places like Cumberland Farms, Checkrite, WaWa..... today. There is already quite a bit of charging at convenience stores (Sheetz, WaWa, Checkrite....). I think we are going to expect to have to pay. While it is evidently true that the convenience stores make more money inside than they do at the pumps they still charge for gas. It isn't free to them no more will be electricity.
Definitely don't expect it to be free. Only expect prices to increase as demand increases. What I want to see is the gas stations across the country transition as the automobile makers transition

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
The model for the traditional "gas station" doesn't really fit BEV so I think they will fade rather than transition to be replaced by the convenience store model.
Sponsored