Sponsored

First generation buyer concerns ...

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Copying this from Facebook. Seems like a great topic for discussion here. I'll start by saying I am sold on first gen R1T because I'm worried that future "updates" will change the design to something I like less. Really like the looks/design they have now.

"Question: Anyone having first-gen buyer concerns? I bought the first iPhone and 2 years later it felt ancient because things improved so quickly..."
Sponsored

Skigh

First Name
Skigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yes, I am but a bit concerned about 1st Gen. buying but I settled a bit after attending the Seattle show for the following reasons:
1. I love the look of the R1S... I'm sure the newer versions will change like any other vehicle but I think in it's current state I will be happy for a long time.
2. Most of the updates can be done through software for improvements. Rivian told me that they will be developing the technology for the vehicle and not using an Apple or Android pre-existing system
3. The vehicle meets all of my needs at this time and there will ALWAYS be something newer but at some point you will have to just bite the bullet and purchase one. If they can make a reliable vehicle that looks the way it does I'm sold right now.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I totally agree with @Skigh . I think most items should be SW upgradable for 5+ years.

I've been impressed with the thought & engineering that's gone into multiple aspects of both vehicles, and hope there was thought put into modularization.

Specifically, I would hope that control/CPU modules were incorporated such that later HW upgrades could be made if needed, to enable support for new capabilities (beyond level 3 autonomy, or whatever).

Skigh

First Name
Skigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Further to the technology for the infotainment system being Rivian specific, I was told by one of the employees at the R1T display that the base wheels would be the ones on the blue R1T and the upgrade would be the carbon insert ones. Level 3 autonomy would be a free SW upgrade. When I spoke to another rep at the R1S display he said he was actually in charge of the option packages and I pressed him on the options and costs. He wouldn't speak about specifics but said that even the "base" level vehicle will be good value for your money and they didn't want to be a company that got you interested with a low price but when you started adding features it became a much higher price. He also mentioned that they had settled on a sound system brand and said that we would be very happy to hear who it is once they announce it. I asked about the USB's in the headrest and he laughed... asked me what I thought about it and he told me that they will be moved for sure....

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I was thinking the wheels from the blue R1T were an upgrade. Very excited they will be "base"...I love them!

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I agree with everyone's opinion here thus far. If you take another look at complexity between ICE and EV's...there are over 2000 parts in a ICE drive train. The engine alone is anywhere between 250-350 moving parts. You add the transmission, differential, etc... you get to 2000 parts for ICE vehicles. When you look at an EV, the electric motor has about 25 moving parts.

I guess the point here is EV's will become like iPhones/computers where if something will fail it will happen quickly and under warranty. Suspensioin and other moving parts are not new, rigidity of the frame I am sure Rivian are getting the kinks out in South America and other difficult 4X4 venues.

I am not as worried being one of the first people owning a Rivian. After meeting RJ, Charles, and others from Rivian, there is a certain energy and pride they have to produce a high quality vehicle. The diversity of their go to market (meaning OEM), and also with investments from Ford, Amazon, and Cox Communications makes me comfortable that the longevity chances for Rivian are high, unlike Lucid, Fisker, Atlas, and other startups...look what happend to Dyson bailing out of the EV market with $2B invested.

I may sound like a drank the Rivian kool-aide, and that maybe so, but so far have nothing yet to doubt Rivian. I would love to hear more from the forum.

GoWest!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & R1S
From what I can tell, short of flying or mowing my yard, there isn’t too much that the R1S doesn’t have that I would want/need for the immediate future. Granted I change cars frequently because like Goldilocks, I still haven’t quite found the car that is just “right”.

Some people want their phones to be computers, I want my car to be everything else in between.

cryogen97

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Cx9, Ford Edge
Clubs

One of the reps in Seattle wanted to make the point that they want to maintain a good reputation. They will be taking their time to build these first ones to very tight specs. They don't want break down stories or quality issues to sully a new brand name.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
One of the reps in Seattle wanted to make the point that they want to maintain a good reputation. They will be taking their time to build these first ones to very tight specs. They don't want break down stories or quality issues to sully a new brand name.
Yep, I had heard this, in so many words, from more than one Rivian employee this past Sunday at the public event Rivian held in Normal, IL. IMO, this is just an extension of the reasons why they were in stealth mode for all those years before revealing their EAVs last November. Knowing this approach by Rivian helps keep me stay sane (somewhat) while we wait for these EAVs to roll off the assembly line. :):headbang::)

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
I bought a Toyota RAV4 EV in 2002. I'm not new to the 1st gen thing.

When Panasonic won their lawsuit blocking Toyota from using their batteries (NiMH, not Li-Ion) Toyota bailed on EVs. I never heard of anyone managing to put a Li-Ion pack in one of those early RAV4s.

That is my only 1st gen concern here. Something to supplant Li-Ion is going to happen. It has to, Li-Ion is not viable long term. So, will Rivian give us an upgrade path? Or will the earliest models be orphaned when a new form factor battery evolves?

Rivian R1T R1S First generation buyer concerns ... rav4ev

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So, will Rivian give us an upgrade path? Or will the earliest models be orphaned when a new form factor battery evolves?
Rivian has said on more than one occasion that they have designed their EAV's hardware to be easily upgradable as technology and other innovations become available. I'm familiar on how to do that to an extent with software, but it's not always bullet proof. None the less, I'll give Rivian the benefit of the doubt that it's possible for the design engineers to build in that flexibility. So on one hand hopefully we don't find out if their design is flexible enough for many years to come, but the other hand, if new battery tech comes along (e.g. solid state, Li-Carbon Dioxide, etc.) sooner than latter, which is a real possibility, hopefully the Rivian design will allow for an easy retro-fit ... but in the mean time I won't be holding my breath.

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
if new battery tech comes along (e.g. solid state, Li-Carbon Dioxide, etc.) sooner than latter, which is a real possibility, hopefully the Rivian design will allow for an easy retro-fit ...
I talked to a battery engineer about this exact thing in Seattle. Long story short, don't bet on it. It won't be an OEM upgrade.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I talked to a battery engineer about this exact thing in Seattle. Long story short, don't bet on it. It won't be an OEM upgrade.
Sorry, I wasn't implying it would be installed by an OEM but rather if new tech came along Rivian would do the retro-fitting. None the less, it sounds like from your conversation with the Rivian battery engineer that it would be a long shot to easily switch to a different battery tech. Perhaps Rivian's comment about their EAVs being of a modular design pertains to other parts of the vehicle. Hard to say with a lot of this stuff when Rivian only provides us with cliff notes. ;)

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Sorry, I wasn't implying it would be installed by an OEM but rather if new tech came along Rivian would do the retro-fitting. None the less, it sounds like from your conversation with the Rivian battery engineer that it would be a long shot to easily switch to a different battery tech. Perhaps Rivian's comment about their EAVs being of a modular design pertains to other parts of the vehicle. Hard to say with a lot of this stuff when Rivian only provides us with cliff notes. ;)
Yeah, that's what I meant by OEM, meaning that Rivian itself will not have an upgrade path but he did not close the door on a possible 3rd party upgrade market.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Yes I have a concern. Given that I am about to plunk down $100K for a vehicle I have never seen or driven from an organization that has no presence anywhere near where I live or travel and which vehicle has no history in the hands of the consumer my concern is as to whether I am sane.
Sponsored