Sponsored

Hummer EV SUV - 5 seats only?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
A cool feeling for sure, and one thing I love about my Jeep Wranglers, although I use it very seldom. Partially due to the weather down here, I prefer to remove the doors & leave the roof for shade.
For me, a power-operated panoramic roof would be more practical, as I often open mine, but also want to be able to close it with no notice.

Removable roof panels are cool for a few days, a year, but are far less practical during normal life, imo.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
For me, a power-operated panoramic roof would be more practical, as I often open mine, but also want to be able to close it with no notice.

Removable roof panels are cool for a few days, a year, but are far less practical during normal life, imo.
Yeah, I like the open feeling & am hoping the pano glass roof helps with that, while also providing decent sun protection. The actual open air is nice as well, but rolling down the windows gives a similar effect.

I really like removing the doors as well for different reasons. Kind of mimics the freedom of when I was domestically allowed to ride a motorcycle (yes, I have foot pegs for the Jeeps) on the road, and provides easy additional visibility off road while also taking the doors out of the potential damage equation.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Yeah, I like the open feeling & am hoping the pano glass roof helps with that, while also providing decent sun protection. The actual open air is nice as well, but rolling down the windows gives a similar effect.

I really like removing the doors as well for different reasons. Kind of mimics the freedom of when I was domestically allowed to ride a motorcycle (yes, I have foot pegs for the Jeeps) on the road, and provides easy additional visibility off road while also taking the doors out of the potential damage equation.
My wife's vehicle has a pano glass roof that does not open. It's better than a fixed metal roof, but it's not nearly as nice as a glass roof that opens.

Rivian will likely have good visibility with the many cameras/tech.

Personally, I'd rather have the doors on fixed hinges, which are likely to have a more quality "feel" and better seal the cabin (keep in mind Rivian says you can ford some serious water). Also, Rivian has lots of electronics in the doors -- something Jeep doesn't.

I am still able to ride my motorcycles when I want to feel truly "connected" with my surroundings... So maybe that influences my priorities (keep the Rivian feeling luxurious, whenever possible).

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I currently have a convertible car, that mostly sits in the garage. Except for the hot Phoenix summers, I usually keep the top down, and drive it a lot that way. It is a manual top, not electric, but not really that hard to put up and down. Rivian has hinted at a two piece removable top, rather than a 4 piece one. The issue with that will be the weight and how to store it. The Hummer setup is nice because the panels fit right in the frunk and can be handled by one person.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Why would GM model an EV off an ICE SUV known for being highly inefficient and impractical as a daily driver... oh right it's GM. Ultimately the hideous shape of this thing is going to cost users a lot of time and expense in charging even if it has a giant battery and decent range. I don't know if any specifications have been released so I'm just speculating... except for it's hideous shape, which anyone can see.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Why would GM model an EV off an ICE SUV known for being highly inefficient and impractical as a daily driver... oh right it's GM. Ultimately the hideous shape of this thing is going to cost users a lot of time and expense in charging even if it has a giant battery and decent range. I don't know if any specifications have been released so I'm just speculating... except for it's hideous shape, which anyone can see.
Beauty is in the eye off the beer holder.

Personally, I think the Hummer looks great!

The Tesla CyberTruck, on the other hand, looks like absolute crap and I can’t believe anyone actually likes it.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I would argue we know more about the Hummer at the current moment than we do Rivian based on the data released, that being said production is a long way away and GMC is a established car company not from the ground up so its a lot easier for them to do things.

https://www.gmc.com/electric/hummer-ev

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer

The more I see it, the more it resembles the FJ, which is not a bad thing IMO

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Ok, I may have been a wee bit dramatic for effect, I'm sure the Hummer EV will have a lot of appeal. I have admittedly not looked much at the spec's so It may be unfair to criticize what I don't know about. Honestly if it helps change the opinions of what an EV is, many people still think Prius, then I can get on board with that.... I just won't be literally getting on board that ugly boat.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
cost users a lot of time and expense in charging even if it has a giant battery and decent range
The Hummer truck (350 mile range estimate) will charge at 350KW/800V and put on 100 miles in 10 minutes. That tops the Rivian. They have announced the SUV will charge at 300KW, since it has a smaller battery and only 300 miles of range. That would still be 85 miles in 10 minutes, the Rivian is 70 miles in 10 minutes.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Beauty is in the eye off the beer holder.

Personally, I think the Hummer looks great!

The Tesla CyberTruck, on the other hand, looks like absolute crap and I can’t believe anyone actually likes it.
I agree 100%, especially after seeing the Hummer in person, it is an awesome looking truck. The new Bronco looked like a toy compared to the Hummer, but it still looked pretty nice. And I was not drinking any beer when I saw them. Of course I have not been able to see a CT or a Rivian yet, but definitely the CT is fugly.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The Hummer truck (350 mile range estimate) will charge at 350KW/800V and put on 100 miles in 10 minutes. That tops the Rivian. They have announced the SUV will charge at 300KW, since it has a smaller battery and only 300 miles of range. That would still be 85 miles in 10 minutes, the Rivian is 70 miles in 10 minutes.
I'm taking all "xx miles in xx minutes" statements with a very large grain of salt until field tested by owners. GM has been known to be very aggressive/optimistic in regards to this metric in the past. Obviously no history on Rivian - they may meet or exceed the stated metric - or not.
And just how much "Actual charge times will vary based on battery condition, output of charger, vehicle settings and outside temperature" impacts different vehicles will also vary. Some vehicle are very sensitive to conditions and able to approach the manufacturers claims in only a very narrow window. Others are better across a much wider spectrum of the the different variables.

Also worth keeping in mind that there are indications that the Rivians will/may (eventually?) be able to charge about 50% faster than the current figures they are using (300 kW vs 200 kW).

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
The more I see it, the more it resembles the FJ
That was my first impression. I like FJs, but there is a certain toy-like appearance to them, and I think the same holds true for the Hummer SUV.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That was my first impression. I like FJs, but there is a certain toy-like appearance to them, and I think the same holds true for the Hummer SUV.
Honda used the term "Tonka Truck" when describing some of the styling of their first-generation Ridgeline.

I think that aptly describes the aesthetic you're referring to with the Hummer/FJ-Cruiser.
Sponsored