Sponsored

Spotify Account Security issues - Rivian?

R1TLG20BM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE vehicles
I do not frequent Spotify and have historically used other services. Due to the integration with Rivian I recently signed up for the free service. I setup a completely new password so that it's unique to Spotify. Ironically, it has been hacked twice in the first 3-4 weeks of service.

Anyone else had similar issues with Spotify recently? I haven't connected Spotify to any other device other than the R1T so either the Spotify security measures are incredibly bad, or there is a possibility that someone has already infiltrated Rivian? The later concerns me more - obviously. Luckily I hadn't upgraded to premium with Spotify so there is no risk to my CC information, etc. If it's specific to Spotify then it's easy enough to remedy by canceling the account. Just eerily coincidental at this point. Not having dual verification didn't give me great confidence with them to begin with.

Hopefully the people in Lebanon, Chechia, and Florida are enjoying free access to my free account.
Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Can you elaborate on "hacked" a bit? What happened exactly?

I had strange activity on my paid Spotify account about a year ago, login (or attempt? I can't remember) from Russia I think. But like you, I had a unique, long, and complex password generated by my password manager. I just logged in and changed my password for good measure. Never had an issue after that. Could be something on Spotify's end where they are getting hit by bots attempting but failing to take over accounts but it's just a speculative theory I have.

OP
OP

R1TLG20BM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE vehicles
Can you elaborate on "hacked" a bit? What happened exactly?

I had strange activity on my paid Spotify account about a year ago, login (or attempt? I can't remember) from Russia I think. But like you, I had a unique, long, and complex password generated by my password manager. I just logged in and changed my password for good measure. Never had an issue after that. Could be something on Spotify's end where they are getting hit by bots attempting but failing to take over accounts but it's just a speculative theory I have.
Both times they've logged into my spotify account (presumably) and changed the linked email address and subsequent password. Both times I've had it recovered by spotify, changed the password, and logged out of all accounts. Only application is Rivian that it gets used on so hopefully just a coincidence. If other Rivian owners are having recent issues, that would be my only concern.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
I've been using my free Spotify account for almost 6 years now and never had an issue. I don't have a truck yet, so hopefully it isn't something with the truck.

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
I do not frequent Spotify and have historically used other services. Due to the integration with Rivian I recently signed up for the free service. I setup a completely new password so that it's unique to Spotify. Ironically, it has been hacked twice in the first 3-4 weeks of service.

Anyone else had similar issues with Spotify recently? I haven't connected Spotify to any other device other than the R1T so either the Spotify security measures are incredibly bad, or there is a possibility that someone has already infiltrated Rivian? The later concerns me more - obviously. Luckily I hadn't upgraded to premium with Spotify so there is no risk to my CC information, etc. If it's specific to Spotify then it's easy enough to remedy by canceling the account. Just eerily coincidental at this point. Not having dual verification didn't give me great confidence with them to begin with.

Hopefully the people in Lebanon, Chechia, and Florida are enjoying free access to my free account.
It happened to me as well. My account stopped working within a day of having my truck. Mine would automatically fast forward to one song only and that's all it would play. Later that day I got an email from spotify that there was unusual activity on my account and had to set up a new password. I never used spotify until I got my truck. I set up an account on 5/20, truck was delivered 5/21 and I never used it until my truck was delivered.

Rivian R1T R1S Spotify Account Security issues - Rivian? Screenshot_20220623-062743_Chrome

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

R1TLG20BM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE vehicles
This is concerning. Did you reach out to Rivian?
I had not reached out to them yet. Wanted to validate it wasn't just my isolated incident before I raised an alarm. Will talk with them today and let everyone know what they say.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This could explain the weirdness with people not being able to get into their vehicles the other day. I never set Spotify up on my truck and had no issues.

Rivian, what was that about anyway?

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I had not reached out to them yet. Wanted to validate it wasn't just my isolated incident before I raised an alarm. Will talk with them today and let everyone know what they say.
I partly responded just to bump the message to the top of the list. I think this is significant. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I've had a premium account for several years and (surprisingly) I have not received suspicious activity notice from them. I use my acct on several devices including my Land Rover...

...hopefully not a Rivian specific issue...

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I've had a premium account for several years and (surprisingly) I have not received suspicious activity notice from them. I use my acct on several devices including my Land Rover...

...hopefully not a Rivian specific issue...
Same.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
This could explain the weirdness with people not being able to get into their vehicles the other day. I never set Spotify up on my truck and had no issues.

Rivian, what was that about anyway?
I have Spotify connected and was not affected by that lock out issue.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I’ve been using Spotify Premium in my truck since mid-March. Haven’t had any unusual activity on the account, and wasn’t affected by the lock-out issue either.