Sponsored

What do you want addressed in the next OTA update?

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Ability to connect a phone directly through usb-c to play music rather than via bluetooth.
This. Not an owner yet (will be in a few weeks) but the idea of having to use bluetooth and not being able to use USB for higher quality audio is mind boggling in 2022.
Sponsored

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
I donā€™t want the ride height to change without allowing me to confirm it. I leave my house in standard / conserve and before Iā€™m to the end of the road itā€™s at lowest setting. I understand the truck is trying to conserve but lowest is too low for that setting.

E Parx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I just want my Phone as key/proximity lock unlock to work more than 20% of the time
You may need to tweak settings on your phone as mine works flawlessly. Unlocks as I get to vehicle and locks when I'm about 10 yards away. BT needs to be continuous and no power saving by OS allowed.

E Parx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
  • I'd like the cooled/heated seats to keep the last setting used or turn on based upon temps like my hellcat did. Above 80 the cooled seats were auto on and below 40 the heated seats were auto on.
  • Auto crack a window for closing the last door then auto close it.
  • Lowest setting should be geofenced to highways or at least warn before changing, especially with the ATs. I'd use conserve mode more if it didn't always try to go to the lowest setting after awhile.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Night rider mode for front light bar. Rear too while at it.

Set temp for remote heat up/cool down.

Allow ac/heat to operate for a user settable time. For running errands, etc....

Mode for vents to sweep back and forth like a oscillating fan.

Allow app on phone to push address to vehicle.

Make display behind steering wheel unique to mode. And then add alot of data. I.e Sport Mode:add things like a 0-60 timer, g-force meter, torque at each wheel real time, etc... Off Road: Things like vehicle angle, torque delivered real time each wheel, any vitals that may come into play and should be monitored. Hwy Mode: battery and efficiency stuff, etc...

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

My list is getting fairly long........

I LOVE the truck. So please don't take any of my comments as a negative. Simply suggestions towards perfection. I believe in shard customer feedback. If the company is interested in it, then possibly it can be of some benefit to all of us. I sent Rivian an e-mail as well. Or if they read the forums, will post here as well.

I speak from having experienced multiple Tesla's over the past 8+ years and having the luxury of owning BOTH, the Rivian and Ford Lighting

Rivian is treading a similar path to Tesla in many ways. I was along for that ride nearly from the beginning and am happy to be along for the ride with Rivian through its beginning.

But, having experienced both the Ford and Rivian, combined with coming from a Tesla, the following is just a simple wish list of improvements I hope to see in the near future. Some, hopefully in the VERY near future.

1. When Alexa speaks, it doesn't mute or lower the radio volume, as it does for phone or navigation. Thus, can't hear what she says if the radio is on. - "Fairly Urgent"

2. Navigation: Need "Way Points" in Navigation. Elon Musk stubbornly held out on these for the first 8 years before finally releasing them to the Tesla. Such a necessary thing for those that use their vehicles for more than just commuting to and from work. Feels like another dated Tesla playbook item that Tesla corrected, Hoping Rivian does as well and hopefully VERY SOON as it's an item desperately needed by anyone using their vehicles "for work" rather than just commuting to and from work. "Urgent"

2a: Navigation needs to be focused on GPS rather than defaulting first to cell signal. Get me directions first, then worry about adding traffic. Right now, it so desperately wants to search for cell service first, delaying the driving instructions by a LONG time, several minutes if no cell service. Again, directions first based on GPS data, then connect to cell service if available to provide traffic conditions. "VERY URGENT"​

3. No passive key fob? Really? Most $20,000 cars have this. Not all of us live with our phone at our hips. Key fob absolutely needs to auto unlock and lock the doors and allow you to drive without having to push the buttons. Another dated Tesla playbook item from the Model 3. One of the reasons I hated that car. Tesla again, corrected this issue and now offers passive key fobs for the Model 3/Y. Already did for the S&X. "Extremely Urgent"

4. Charging levels. Rivian gives you three choices. Almost every other EV allows you to set a specific charge level. The difference between 70% and 85% and 100% is pretty large. Should be able to set the percentage to an individual number anywhere in between. 70% is rarely enough. 85% often times is, but is still shy for many of my use cases. Being able to to 90% would be great. Often times, 80% is a good number too. A simple slider to the percentage the user needs would be perfect. "Not so urgent, but would be very useful"

5. Can't stop charging from the Rivian app. Maybe from the wall charger app (if you purchased the wall charger), but should be able to do this using the Truck app. "Fairly Urgent"

5a. Also can't change the charging level from the app. I've been charging to around 90% as that works best for me. Instead of being able to charge to 100%, then change the setting from the app, I have to go out to the truck to do it. #5 would be the better solution. #6 would be a secondary solution as well. "Not so urgent, but would be very useful"​
5b. JUST DISCOVERED THIS, app needs to send charging notifications to you. When charge is completed. More importantly, if a charging session has been interrupted and vehicle stopped charging. I had this happen on my Tesla commonly and it does with the Rivian too, when the home AC kicks on, there's a power surge that EV's don't like. The Tesla would reset itself about 4 times before it stopped charging. It notified me of each interruption and more importantly, when it stopped charging. I'd then have to go unplug and plug back in. Just discovered the Rivian stopped charging. Expected to go out to a fully charged truck and it was far from it as it experienced one of the power surges and shut off. Had no clue since the app doesn't send notifications. "VERY URGENT".​

6. Need to allow for more UI (icon location) configuration. Plenty of space on the bottom row to add icons. Again, as Tesla has done, should be able to put your most commonly used items in that row so they're just one touch away, rather than multiple taps via sub-menu's. "Not so urgent, but would be very useful"

7. Need to allow more items to be displayed on the driver instrument cluster. Like the Tesla, should be able to display trip data, among other things. "Not so urgent, but would be very useful"

8. When leaving passive lock/unlock off at home (using phone as the key), the door handles stay open with the handle lights on 100% of the time. The lights should turn off. "Fairly Urgent"

9. App should have controls to open the Frunk, gear tunnel doors, tailgate, tonneau cover, windows. "Fairly Urgent"

9a. App should also allow for horn to be honked. Lights flashed. Allow it to be remotely started. "Fairly Urgent"​

10. Homelink to open garage door should be one touch away. Two steps is too many. Have to open homelink, then select "home" (or whatever you name it). The option to place the preferred on the main screen and just one-touch away would be much better. "Not so urgent, but would be very useful"

10a. Homelink, would be nice if it had the GPS based system that Tesla does, to automatically open/close the garage door when pulling up or leaving. "Not so urgent, but would be very useful"​

11. Not all that important, but of note: Even the Ford has some entertainment items in its UI. Not bad to have when sitting for an hour at a charger. Would be nice if Rivian added something. Tesla has gone a bit extreme and not necessary, but a few, even basic sort of games or other items would be nice. Ford added 4 or 5 to it. A video function wouldn't be bad either. (Youtube app maybe? Or Netflix or Hulu?

12. Not sure if this can be fixed via software. Depends if there are sensors built in or not. If not, then this one is both, software and hardware. Like the Tesla Falcon Wing doors on the Model X, the tailgate and frunk should have sensors to insure that the space is clear for these to open. I fear I'm accidentally going to hit the tailgate button and it's going to slam into the metal framing on my garage door and dent and/or scratch it.

13. Edit to add another one: AC should not turn on simply because you unlock the doors. There are times when I need to leave it unlocked for a while at my location. Don't want to have to go inside to turn off the AC every time. Screens don't need to turn on either. Unlocking the doors should be JUST unlocking the doors. Open the door, then turn everything on.

14. Edit. Getting annoying that it defaults to the gear guard screen every time you get in the truck. Put a notification up there if you feel the need, but otherwise, leave me where I was and otherwise always am.

15. Edit. Please put a clock on the center driver display. Outside temp would be nice there too. Too distracting, especially while driving having to look all the way to the other side of the screen to get this info while driving. Time is something that should be front and center. Have to say, after coming from the pre-refresh Model S Raven and also having the Ford Lighting, SO much prefer a vertical screen layout. Things on the right side are just too far away and too distracting trying to take a quick glance while driving. The vertical layout gives you everything in easy view That can't be fixed via software obviously, but the clock can.

16. Edit: Maybe just my vehicle and phone combo, but I have to be right at the door before the door will unlock and it's often delayed by a few seconds. If others are having the same issue, needs better proximity sensors open it at least when you reach the hood or tailgate. Usually, I can get to the key fob faster than it opens with my phone.

17. Edit: Need separate controls for radio volume and Navigation volume. I have it set to loudest setting, but have notice when radio volume is down, navigation instruction volume is also down. The Tesla allows you set both independently of each other. I am missing half of the notifications because I hear nothing.

18. Edit: Fix the speedometer. Used a GPS and backed that up with Google maps. Speedo is off a whopping 3 miles per hour. Most are 1, maybe 2 MPH. Also makes me wonder, since it says I'm going faster, is it also counting miles faster? Next trip will compare actual versus what navigation or google maps say. Otherwise, adding 3 miles per hour to the odometer as well will add up over time.

19. Allow for a tire size selection in the Service menu. Tesla allows you to choose wheel sizes. Since Rivian's are sold with 33" and 34" tires, should be a selection in the menu's to insure you have the right tire size configured in your truck. Or, for those that might put custom wheels / tires on, would also be great to be able to enter the size tire you're running so the speedo can calibrate properly.

20. Why does it default to the camera screen every time I get into the truck? Leave it where I had it. Leave all settings where I had them. If I want to change them, I will change them. I already did change them for a reason, shouldn't have to go back and make the same changes over and over and over again!

21. And I'll join others in saying, yes, this phantom adjusting of ride heights for no reason does get a bit annoying kind of quick.

22. They need to set up plug and play accounts with multiple charging providers, so we can simply arrive, plug in and be done. Car gets recognized by the charger, bills the account accordingly. Only done it once and it is something I quickly miss from the Tesla. Cadillac has already announced they will be doing just this thing on the Lyric and other future EV's. Makes a ton of sense.

Many of these things are bringing up my old annoying memories of the Model 3. Hoping they fix most of this stuff soon. The Model 3 was short-lived in my garage with these types of things being a major reason. I hope the Rivian doesn't suffer the same fate.

OK, I'll stop there for now (after editing and adding 8 more items). Only a week into this thing. Some of the above I consider urgent. Other's are luxuries that would be nice. Many would help in making the truck DRIVER FRIENDLY. This was one of the big turnoffs of the Model 3 for me and why I went back to the pre-refresh Model S. Then Tesla incorporated 100% screen function into the refreshed Model S, more so than the Model 3. It's the primary reason, for the first time in 8 years, I no longer own a Tesla.

User friendliness is where I prefer the Ford as it has hard buttons for each instinctive use that you can feel, rather than having to look away to find these items on a screen. I get that's the way they wanted to go and that's fine, but at least improve the UI to make it as user friendly as possible. Especially for those like me that use their vehicle for work and are in and out of it 10+ times a day. Also much prefer the vertical screen. Can read it all easily at a quick glance. Trying to find things on the right side of the screen, like something a simple as the TIME, is a pain and not the safest.

Last edited:

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
My list is pretty short:
  • Lower automatically, somehow. Either when placed into park, at home, or at set locations like Tesla. I always lower the truck down to get in and out more easily.
  • Driver+ should transition to a 'waiting' or similar status when the turn signal is tapped and the lane is exited. When entering a new lane, it should automatically return to active status when able to do so.
  • Driver+ settings for lane distance should be retained after shutting the vehicle off. When I initially engage it, it is always set to the max distance, somewhere in the next zipcode.
  • Alexa sounds should cause other sounds to significantly reduce in volume, like chimes do.
  • Bug fixes.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
  • Speed Limit Sign Recognition
  • Cruise Control Resume Speed
  • Option to turn off One Pedal driving
  • Remove One Pedal Driving in Reverse
  • Active or Passive Key Fob
  • Icon to adjust driver's seat position upon exit/driving position
  • Ability to manually set the percentage State of Charge
Need an accessory option to add running boards. I don't want to continually lower the vehicle each time I get in/out. I believe the Ford Lightning has most of the above. I like the Rivian's size, looks and quality better than Ford, but Ford has an option for running boards, which I happen to need the most. The F150 size has been holding me back, but now the Rivian's lack of running boards is becoming a problem for me.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Control vehicle temp from the App. I what to decide what is comfortable.
I want really want to have a USB connection to my phone and control it from touch screen. I can do that in my 2009 Honda Civic. Car Play would be even better.
I want to set the level of charge, not have to choose between 3 presets
I want the radio presets to actually work.
I want my key fob to work.
I want more reliable passive phone as a key. Mine never works.
Selectable auto lower when in park. Without rails, she needs a set to safely enter the vehicle.
App notification when within 3% of reaching desired charge level.

Plus just about everything else the people before me posted, if it isn't already in my list.

Sponsored

Michaewh

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 BMW i3 BEV, 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG
Occupation
Business Owner
Better integration when hitch is occupied by a bike rack. Hearing the alarms every time I back up is getting oldā€¦

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Better integration when hitch is occupied by a bike rack. Hearing the alarms every time I back up is getting oldā€¦
Put it in tow mode.

Chas60422

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru outback
Occupation
Healthcare
Camera icon next to Alexa on the top line of screen. Easy access to turn on cameras when in tight spaces.

ability to have a live view of rear camera above license plate in top middle of screen when in navigation screen. My RTT blocks my rear view mirror. So having this picture in picture mode will be nice when the rear view mirror is blocked.

auto level when parked. The truck auto levels when driving (sometimes too much-should be fixed). So this can be added when camping

put clock in middle of screen and not all of the way to the top right corner

more trip data as a fourth subscreen in the driver screen. Toggle between map, tire pressure, efficiency, and trip data. Trip data would be essentially time when put in drive, trip A distance, avg speed, etc. maybe add temp of battery and motors.

off road trip info like grade, torque, traction of tires. Can be 5th sub screen that is only accessible when in off road mode

Last edited:

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
ā€œKneelā€ mode. Double tap of the park button lowers the suspension to its lowest setting to make ingress and egress easier.

Pet mode. Keeps cabin conditioning set to a user selectable value when enabled.

Enhanced navigation with better interaction to allow charging station selection and identification along a route. Waypoints (other than charging) would also be very helpful.

Route planning in the app with the ability to transfer the route to the vehicle.

CARPLAY would solve a myriad of navigation, information and entertainment issues.
Sponsored