Sponsored

Environmental Concerns

To what extent was your reservation Rivian vehicle motivated by environmental concerns?

• Total voters

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
I voted not very important, but really it's not a factor for me. I don't think it's a hoax but that was your only option as no factor.

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I'm more concerned with/by the other toxins that are bi-products of the creation and use of fossil fuels than I am about CO2. Still environmental, but a slightly different concern.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I'm more concerned with/by the other toxins that are bi-products of the creation and use of fossil fuels than I am about CO2. Still environmental, but a slightly different concern.
I think this is one of those things that seems like a reasonable perspective on it's face, but the data really doesn't support it. Industrial wastes (full disclosure, I work in radiological waste) do not pose the near-term, climate destabilizing threat that CO2 does. We have a pretty good handle on how to deal with industrial waste, we've done basically nothing to manage CO2, and our best understanding is that CO2 and the resulting feedback loops pose significant risks to our societies in the near-term.

Last edited:

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
I’m not buying a car that’s not electric. Rivian checks pretty much all of my boxes. Therefore, reservation.

Sponsored

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

I think this is one of those things that seems like a reasonable perspective on it's face, but the data really doesn't support it. Industrial wastes (full disclosure, I work in radiological waste) do not pose the near-term, climate destabilizing threat that CO2 does. We have a pretty good handle on how to deal with industrial waste, we've done basically nothing to manage CO2, and our best understanding is that CO2 and the resulting feedback loops pose significant risks to our societies in the near-term.
I get it, but I'm more concerned with the everyday interactions of exhaust and fumes. I'm probably just prissy (not that there's anything wrong with it!) and a touch short-sighted.

Regardless, I'm all electric and can't wait to configure an R1T!

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
I get it, but I'm more concerned with the everyday interactions of exhaust and fumes. I'm probably just prissy (not that there's anything wrong with it!) and a touch short-sighted.

Regardless, I'm all electric and can't wait to configure an R1T!
Funnily enough, I've heard of some studies that say moving away from fossil fuels would be worth it for the air quality benefits alone, and that adding the climate benefits too should make it a slam dunk.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Funnily enough, I've heard of some studies that say moving away from fossil fuels would be worth it for the air quality benefits alone, and that adding the climate benefits too should make it a slam dunk.
There are many reasons for starting to move away from fossil fuels now. In addition to those mentioned, you also have to develop and mainstream a replacement technology before the supply of fossil fuels has been exhausted (or the cost of extracting becomes prohibitive). That's still a ways out but not something that can be deferred until the problem is imminent.
Sponsored