Sponsored

Lost at least 1 rear motor (Update: Fixed, then rear ended on way home, 2nd update critical battery issue)

OP
OP

majorfriend

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser 100, Launch Edition R1T, Mustang Mach
Occupation
IT Consultant
What did you use to ‘jump start’ from those leads? I’ve been trying to find reliable information on just how much juice (typically) needs to be supplied to those leads and for how long in order to allow gear tunnel/frunk access in a 12V failure situation. Will a small rechargeable’ ‘jump box’ be enough, or does it require an extended connection to a plugged-in trickle charger? Hoping the former…
I just hooked it up to my Land Cruiser with jumper cables, the user manual said I could use a vehicle or a jump box.

I was able to open the charge port door, gear tunnel, etc right away. The screens didn't come on for about 10-15 minutes. I don't know if that is because it was waiting to charge the 12v to a certain level or if that was just boot time.

The tow truck driver wanted to see if we could jump it and get it into tow mode so we put his jump box on it. Again, I was able to open doors immediately, but the screens didn't come on. We only waited a few minutes this time before just deciding to use skids. So maybe his box wasn't delivering enough to boot the computers up, or maybe we just didn't wait long enough.

His box was reading 12.0v when we plugged it in, but it had drained down to 11.0v within just 5-10 minutes or so. That lends credence to the theory that something is draining the 12v, but I'm not sure why it would not have shown up for a week after the accident or if that would cause the Critical Battery Issue (clearly referencing the HV battery) warning to appear.
Sponsored

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
I just hooked it up to my Land Cruiser with jumper cables, the user manual said I could use a vehicle or a jump box.

I was able to open the charge port door, gear tunnel, etc right away. The screens didn't come on for about 10-15 minutes. I don't know if that is because it was waiting to charge the 12v to a certain level or if that was just boot time.

The tow truck driver wanted to see if we could jump it and get it into tow mode so we put his jump box on it. Again, I was able to open doors immediately, but the screens didn't come on. We only waited a few minutes this time before just deciding to use skids. So maybe his box wasn't delivering enough to boot the computers up, or maybe we just didn't wait long enough.

His box was reading 12.0v when we plugged it in, but it had drained down to 11.0v within just 5-10 minutes or so. That lends credence to the theory that something is draining the 12v, but I'm not sure why it would not have shown up for a week after the accident or if that would cause the Critical Battery Issue (clearly referencing the HV battery) warning to appear.
Thanks, good information. Another vehicle or a tow-truck level jump box is not something that will always be near at hand, so still curious whether a small rechargeable jump box would be enough to at least gain access. Probably depends upon depth of 12V discharge. Would love to hear from others who have successfully gained access via power to the hitch leads.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
What did you use to ‘jump start’ from those leads? I’ve been trying to find reliable information on just how much juice (typically) needs to be supplied to those leads and for how long in order to allow gear tunnel/frunk access in a 12V failure situation. Will a small rechargeable’ ‘jump box’ be enough, or does it require an extended connection to a plugged-in trickle charger? Hoping the former…
It’s in the manual

Rivian R1T R1S Lost at least 1 rear motor (Update: Fixed, then rear ended on way home, 2nd update critical battery issue) 1712773657198-e

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired IT
It’s in the manual

1712773657198-ep.png
Yeah, aware of that… but for how long? And is the typical (small, VERY portable) rechargeable jump box (which may claim “can provide 60 starts before recharging”) able to provide the “steady voltage” for the period of time required to gain access to the various compartments?

OP
OP

majorfriend

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Sure hope so, that would suck. I think it's minor enough, but I guess we'll find out.

20240401_183642.jpg
Dropped my truck off this morning to get repaired for very similar rear end accident. Repair cost is $2200 assuming they don't find additional damage after bumper removal

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Well, this morning I'm getting a critical battery issue and the truck is getting towed back to the service center....not a good start.

When I woke up I got a message in the app saying the 12v battery needed replaced. Truck was completely dead so I called and made a mobile service appointment.

That's a week out, so I thought I would try the jump instructions in the manual. I was able to get the screens on and.....got a message saying critical battery issue.

Truck obviously won't go into drive. So, I called the service center and they set up a tow for tomorrow.

I can't imagine that this is related to the accident as damage was so minor, and it hasn't had any issues driving for about a week including multiple discharges down to about 20% and charging back up to 70%. It is curious though.

Needless to say it hasn't been a great start to my ownership experience. Love the truck, but this sucks.
I would assign all blame on the accident. You probably have neck and back pain too. Seriously, I feel bad for you. Bad streak of luck. As long as Rivian is standing behind you with good service, you should be good.

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired IT
FWIW I think this is the box the tow truck driver had.
Amazon.com: NOCO Boost Pro GB150 3000A UltraSafe Car Battery Jump Starter, 12V Battery Pack, Battery Booster, Jump Box, Portable Charger and Jumper Cables for 9.0L Gasoline and 7.0L Diesel Engines : Automotive

There are a few different options of this model with different amps, I didn't pay attention to which one his was.
Ok, thanks! Wow… I expected a tow truck operator to be rocking a MUCH larger jump box. That one is reasonable size I might be willing to carry on the vehicle.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, aware of that… but for how long? And is the typical (small, VERY portable) rechargeable jump box (which may claim “can provide 60 starts before recharging”) able to provide the “steady voltage” for the period of time required to gain access to the various compartments?
Using the NOCO GB50 as an example, I come up with the following (it’s late and I was out at a jazz performance drinking beer, so I reserve the right to have a math error 😀🍻) :

NOCO Spec says 35 watt-hour rating
I=P/E so at 13 volts that is I=35/13 = 2.7 Amp-hour = 161 Amp-minute

30 amps required, so 161 amp-minute/30 amps = 5 minutes

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired IT
Using the NOCO GB50 as an example, I come up with the following (it’s late and I was out at a jazz performance drinking beer, so I reserve the right to have a math error 😀🍻) :

NOCO Spec says 35 watt-hour rating
I=P/E so at 13 volts that is I=35/13 = 2.7 Amp-hour = 161 Amp-minute

30 amps required, so 161 amp-minute/30 amps = 5 minutes
OK, cool. I’m going to assume your math is correct and use that formula to find me a jump box that will work for my R1T. Appreciate the help!

Sponsored

simpsonhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Model S Plaid
Well, this morning I'm getting a critical battery issue and the truck is getting towed back to the service center....not a good start.

When I woke up I got a message in the app saying the 12v battery needed replaced. Truck was completely dead so I called and made a mobile service appointment.

That's a week out, so I thought I would try the jump instructions in the manual. I was able to get the screens on and.....got a message saying critical battery issue.

Truck obviously won't go into drive. So, I called the service center and they set up a tow for tomorrow.

I can't imagine that this is related to the accident as damage was so minor, and it hasn't had any issues driving for about a week including multiple discharges down to about 20% and charging back up to 70%. It is curious though.

Needless to say it hasn't been a great start to my ownership experience. Love the truck, but this sucks.
Sorry to hear about your string of misfortunes.

My Rivian also suddenly died without any warning (12V error, though actual root cause could be different). No power to anything and had to be dragged out of the garage on skids to be towed to the SC. It's been 4 business days and they still haven't looked at it, even though the charge port door is stuck open and it's raining.

OP
OP

majorfriend

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Sorry to hear about your string of misfortunes.

My Rivian also suddenly died without any warning (12V error, though actual root cause could be different). No power to anything and had to be dragged out of the garage on skids to be towed to the SC. It's been 4 business days and they still haven't looked at it, even though the charge port door is stuck open and it's raining.

Ugh, at least we can share in each other's misery.

I would have thought they could at least power it up to close the charge port door. But theoretically it should be ok even with it open.

Mine arrived to the SC yesterday morning, but it hasn't been looked at either. They were hoping to get to it today or tomorrow.

OP
OP

majorfriend

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
I just heard back from the SC and one of the contacts in the HV battery is stuck open. They still aren't servicing battery packs at the service center so I'll be getting a new battery. Estimated time is about 2 weeks.

simpsonhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Model S Plaid
I just heard back from the SC and one of the contacts in the HV battery is stuck open. They still aren't servicing battery packs at the service center so I'll be getting a new battery. Estimated time is about 2 weeks.
Thanks for the update. That sucks that it's an additional 2-week wait, but at least they didn't just throw in new 12V batter(ies) and give it back to you.

Is this a brand-new HV battery that they'll be installing? Or will it be a refurbished unit?

OP
OP

majorfriend

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Thanks for the update. That sucks that it's an additional 2-week wait, but at least they didn't just throw in new 12V batter(ies) and give it back to you.

Is this a brand-new HV battery that they'll be installing? Or will it be a refurbished unit?
I don't know, I'm hoping it is brand new but I didn't ask. I'll ask when I pick it up.

My truck has 57k miles on it, so either way I'm likely getting a pack with less use on it then my current pack. That being said the current pack had held up well. It still showed 280+ miles of range in All-Purpose on a full charge and over 310 in Conserve.
Sponsored