Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Hi folks, figured I would share some more details about driving the white rim road. There are a few posts out there that have shared their experience, so TL;DR: Mine is roughly in line with theirs. Photos at the bottom.

Configuration:
Quad motor R1T, 26k miles. Rooftop tent installed above bed. 2 adults, camping supplies, no powered cooler, induction cooktop.
Weather was pretty much perfect. We used a bit of AC, and the heated seats in the morning but that was about it.

Battery details:
Charge prior to the trail: 91%
We camped at Dead Horse Point state park and charged at an RV spot. I believe it was charging at 34 amps. Due to snowstorms in Colorado we arrived later than anticipated, so we only charged up to 91%. Interesting note, we ran into and camped near another Rivian owner who started his day in Moab, and we were at identical battery %, so you should have a similar experience to this post starting in Moab as well.

Leaving pavement for Schafer Switchbacks: 87%
We aired down to about 32 PSI. Activities for the day included a couple of hikes, driving down Lathrop canyon (additional 6 mile offshoot), and heading to camp at the Gooseberry B Campsite. All cooking for us and the vehicle with us was done on an induction cooktop (Breakfast and dinner).

First night camping: arrived with 74%, left with 71%
Second day we drove about 45 miles, including the offshoot to White Crack (to watch the eclipse). Some short hikes but ended up being a pretty long driving day, ending at Hardscrabble A. All cooking for us and the vehicle with us was done on an induction cooktop (Breakfast and dinner)

Second night camping: Arrived with 52%, left with 50%.
Final day; some interesting driving to start but ended up covering miles quick on the dirt road out.

Back on pavement again at 34%
we aired back up and drove to the Fast chargers in Moab

Back to chargers: 30%

Total used from Dead Horse Point to Moab: 61%
Estimate had we started in Moab: 70%

Trip details:
This was a fun weekend in and out of the car. Driving wise, nothing was a challenge for the R1T. There were some rough sections of road which made it interesting, and some steep ascents and descents, but you hardly had to even pick a line, the Rivian can just crawl up or down anything on the trail. There are some pretty bumpy spots so I would recommend airing down, and it is remote so definitely have a spare just in case. Spotting a couple of the steep descents was valuable, as it would be awful to have to reverse back up them, but most of the trail was pretty relaxed driving. We ran into another R1T out there (who may be on the forums), and had a lot of fun conversations with other drivers about the truck. It is a lot of time in the car, which is not typically our style, so be ready for that.

If we were to do it again we would just charge at a hotel in moab (or the tesla fast charger). Dead horse point was convenient, but the road is not so long that you need to charge closer than moab, and you need to be there for quite a few hours to get the full charge. We stopped at 91% just because we wanted to get going, and getting to 100% would have required a few more hours. It is a nice campground though, so if you can combine it with some mountain biking the day before, that would be a good deal.

The drive down to the river down Lathrop Canyon was probably one of the tougher sections, but again, nothing was a challenge. Some spots were steep and sandy. It was cool to get down to the river. Hardscrabble hill was probably the most interesting part of the drive, a really cool road running along and straight up the cliff sides.

The whole thing is super scenic, and there are tons of different sights, so if you haven't experienced southern UT desert, I would definitely recommend trying to secure some camping permits for the drive.

Photos
Rivian R1T R1S Another White Rim trail trip report DSCF3596

Rivian R1T R1S Another White Rim trail trip report DSCF3631

Rivian R1T R1S Another White Rim trail trip report DSCF3691
Rivian R1T R1S Another White Rim trail trip report DSCF3732
Rivian R1T R1S Another White Rim trail trip report DSCF3770

Rivian R1T R1S Another White Rim trail trip report DSCF3811

Rivian R1T R1S Another White Rim trail trip report DSCF3816
Rivian R1T R1S Another White Rim trail trip report DSCF4118
Rivian R1T R1S Another White Rim trail trip report DSCF4170
Rivian R1T R1S Another White Rim trail trip report DSCF4249

Rivian R1T R1S Another White Rim trail trip report DSCF4666
Rivian R1T R1S Another White Rim trail trip report DSCF4083
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Great trip report and pics, as always! I love that part of the world.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
One of my favorite things to do in October or April, having done it a few times in my FJ. White Crack is an awesome spot / overlook, and Black Crack is also cool, next to a horseshoe bend in the river. Many hidden, interesting side excursions, scenic hikes and at least one slot canyon to break up the long days in a vehicle. This book describes most of them, which I’ve referenced each time I’ve gone. Making time to explore these additional things really adds to the experience. https://funtreks.com/product/moab4-package-deal/

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
Looks like you were on White Rim three days before us. I wish I had run into you out there, it is spectacular scenery. The whole time out there on the bike, I was wondering how the R1T would do and what sort of charge
Rivian R1T R1S Another White Rim trail trip report Day 3
I would have at a given point. Thanks for sharing.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hi folks, figured I would share some more details about driving the white rim road. There are a few posts out there that have shared their experience, so TL;DR: Mine is roughly in line with theirs. Photos at the bottom.

Configuration:
Quad motor R1T, 26k miles. Rooftop tent installed above bed. 2 adults, camping supplies, no powered cooler, induction cooktop.
Weather was pretty much perfect. We used a bit of AC, and the heated seats in the morning but that was about it.

Battery details:
We camped at Dead Horse Point state park and charged at an RV spot. I believe it was charging at 34 amps. Due to snowstorms in Colorado we arrived later than anticipated, so we only charged up to 91%. Interesting note, we ran into and camped near another Rivian owner who started his day in Moab, and we were at identical battery %, so you should have a similar experience to this post starting in Moab as well.

We aired down to about 32 PSI. Activities for the day included a couple of hikes, driving down Lathrop canyon (additional 6 mile offshoot), and heading to camp at the Gooseberry B Campsite. All cooking for us and the vehicle with us was done on an induction cooktop (Breakfast and dinner).

Second day we drove about 45 miles, including the offshoot to White Crack (to watch the eclipse). Some short hikes but ended up being a pretty long driving day, ending at Hardscrabble A. All cooking for us and the vehicle with us was done on an induction cooktop (Breakfast and dinner)

Final day; some interesting driving to start but ended up covering miles quick on the dirt road out.

Trip details:
This was a fun weekend in and out of the car. Driving wise, nothing was a challenge for the R1T. There were some rough sections of road which made it interesting, and some steep ascents and descents, but you hardly had to even pick a line, the Rivian can just crawl up or down anything on the trail. There are some pretty bumpy spots so I would recommend airing down, and it is remote so definitely have a spare just in case. Spotting a couple of the steep descents was valuable, as it would be awful to have to reverse back up them, but most of the trail was pretty relaxed driving. We ran into another R1T out there (who may be on the forums), and had a lot of fun conversations with other drivers about the truck. It is a lot of time in the car, which is not typically our style, so be ready for that.

If we were to do it again we would just charge at a hotel in moab (or the tesla fast charger). Dead horse point was convenient, but the road is not so long that you need to charge closer than moab, and you need to be there for quite a few hours to get the full charge. We stopped at 91% just because we wanted to get going, and getting to 100% would have required a few more hours. It is a nice campground though, so if you can combine it with some mountain biking the day before, that would be a good deal.

The drive down to the river down Lathrop Canyon was probably one of the tougher sections, but again, nothing was a challenge. Some spots were steep and sandy. It was cool to get down to the river. Hardscrabble hill was probably the most interesting part of the drive, a really cool road running along and straight up the cliff sides.

The whole thing is super scenic, and there are tons of different sights, so if you haven't experienced southern UT desert, I would definitely recommend trying to secure some camping permits for the drive.

Photos
DSCF3596.jpg

DSCF3631.jpg

DSCF3691.jpg
DSCF3732.jpeg
DSCF3770.jpg

DSCF3811.jpg

DSCF3816.jpg
DSCF4118.jpeg
DSCF4170.jpg
DSCF4249.jpg

DSCF4666.jpg
DSCF4083.jpg
Absolutely fantastic! You need to send these photos to Rivian. No joke!

Sponsored

nikonpnw

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
retired firefighter
Moab is made for Rivian, hopefully there will be a RAN in the future. Did the same trip a couple of weeks before the tesla magic dock went live in town, charging to 100% at under canvas the night before, then 4 nights on the White Rim. Did a little less detailed write up with pics on here. Just curious if you looked at the pitch/roll info on the area around Hardscrabble. That feature hadn't come out yet when I did the trip.

brbecker

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5d
Occupation
Retired

Configuration:

Battery details:

Trip details:

Photos
DSCF3596.jpg

DSCF3631.jpg

DSCF3691.jpg
DSCF3732.jpeg
DSCF3770.jpg

DSCF3811.jpg

DSCF3816.jpg
DSCF4118.jpeg
DSCF4170.jpg
DSCF4249.jpg

DSCF4666.jpg
DSCF4083.jpg
Hey Andystroh that other R1T was me lol. Thanks for the great writeup. I also had similar battery states of charge along the route. I left Tesla Supercharger in Moab with 99%. I believe I returned to the Moab Supercharger with around 34%. Other observations: I air down to 33PSI, can't wait to replace OEM tires with something beefier and quieter, went down Schafer Switchbacks in conserve mode, most of the trek was in off-road highest, first time for a off-road experience ever, friends from Moab showed us places along the route that most people don't know about. Could not have asked for better weather conditions! It was perfect!!

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

Than is for the GREAT write up!! Have done it twice in a Jeep decades ago and cant wait to do it in a R1S withy the new wifie! Are permits still hard to get? Thanks again. JB

OP
OP
Andystroh

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Moab is made for Rivian, hopefully there will be a RAN in the future. Did the same trip a couple of weeks before the tesla magic dock went live in town, charging to 100% at under canvas the night before, then 4 nights on the White Rim. Did a little less detailed write up with pics on here. Just curious if you looked at the pitch/roll info on the area around Hardscrabble. That feature hadn't come out yet when I did the trip.
unfortunately we completed the trip a couple days before that update was released. We were hoping to see those details as well.

Hey Andystroh that other R1T was me lol. Thanks for the great writeup. I also had similar battery states of charge along the route. I left Tesla Supercharger in Moab with 99%. I believe I returned to the Moab Supercharger with around 34%. Other observations: I air down to 33PSI, can't wait to replace OEM tires with something beefier and quieter, went down Schafer Switchbacks in conserve mode, most of the trek was in off-road highest, first time for a off-road experience ever, friends from Moab showed us places along the route that most people don't know about. Could not have asked for better weather conditions! It was perfect!!
Hey awesome nice to meet you. People were definitely excited to see multiple rivians on the trail!
Than is for the GREAT write up!! Have done it twice in a Jeep decades ago and cant wait to do it in a R1S withy the new wifie! Are permits still hard to get? Thanks again. JB
Nice, they are definitely not easy to get. We were specifically looking for the eclipse dates so we were pretty dialed in on getting the permits, I’m not sure how tough they are if you are less picky. We spoke to a couple who snagged some last minute after others cancelled their trip.

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

Thanks much……..it is the same as decades ago and for obvious reasons…..the scenery is sterling!! JB

Sponsored

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
Permits go on sale twice per year and sell out 3 minutes after they open. Can be possible same day, 24 hours prior, if others cancelled. Look at the NPS website. It may be that some permits can only be purchased in person the day before the permits are good, but that could also just be for backpacking or other purposes . . . rules change over time.

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Beautiful pics...wish I was there with ya. lol

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

Configuration:

Battery details:

Trip details:

Photos
DSCF3596.jpg

DSCF3631.jpg

DSCF3691.jpg
DSCF3732.jpeg
DSCF3770.jpg

DSCF3811.jpg

DSCF3816.jpg
DSCF4118.jpeg
DSCF4170.jpg
DSCF4249.jpg

DSCF4666.jpg
DSCF4083.jpg
Pictures are great! I'm so jealous. Would love to do this one day, but live on East Coast. Maybe next year! This is the type of adventure the R1T was made for. What a great experience!

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
As for permits, seven of us went on the website Tuesday for slots Wednesday. They opened it up at 8am and we all logged in then. There were a total of 7 permits we got for our motorcycles with around 17 still up for grabs. The day of there are an additional 25 permits open but you must pick them up at the Visitor's center. We came out Potash rd since we went up Shaffer Switchbacks the day before. No one ever even looked at our permits anywhere along the trail, but it lets them know how many people are out there and what vehicles.
Sponsored