What would you like to see on your new Rivian or from the Rivian company??

Discussion in 'Ordering, Pricing, Delivery' started by Jazzyjeff139, May 30, 2019.

1. 1shadowsabre

1shadowsabre New Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicles:
    Tesla M3 Ram 1500 ecodiesel Honda Shadow Sabre
    I would like to know the towing #s including some baseline ranges for sat a 7000 lb trailer

2. MEKNEE

MEKNEE Member

First Name:
    Shannon
    Vehicles:
    2019 Honda Civic, 2013 Honda accord, 2016 Corvette Z51, 2011 Cadillac EXT
    I am hoping that Rivian does not require us to buy large packages of options. I want to build my truck specifically without having to pay for accessories I don't want. I also hope that Rivian offers lease programs or at least hooks us up with leasing companies. I have a feeling that a top line truck is going to cost more than $80 K. I want to lease for business purposes and tax breaks plus lower payments.

3. 1shadowsabre

1shadowsabre New Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicles:
    Tesla M3 Ram 1500 ecodiesel Honda Shadow Sabre
    There will probably not be any bare bones options for a while. They will sell premium models with lots of expensive (read profitable) options at first so they can make money. They "value" type models will come later.

Hmp10 likes this.
  4. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
    I suspect that lease payments will be exorbitantly high in relation to vehicle price, at least in the first few years. A big factor in lease payments is residual value, and it will take some time before enough used Rivians enter the market for a resale value to be established. Consequently, lease companies have to hedge against poor resale values by setting lease rates very high.

This happened with Tesla in the first few years. Lease rates were through the roof relative to what the lease rates were on similarly-priced ICEs. They eventually came down once Teslas began to get good prices in the resale market.

EVs are now more established in the market, but Rivian is still a new entrant making a novel product even within the context of EVs. I think resale prices will remain speculative for a good while.

EyeOnRivian likes this.
  5. FutureBoy61

FutureBoy61 Member

First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicles:
    2010 F150 XLT 4.6L 3V
    I live in MI and I would like (as already stated) towing specification similar to how towing specs are published for a non-EV P-Trucks. Will the pickup be offered from the factory with a towing option installed? I camp and sometimes tow a trailer. I expect a large hit to range when towing, I would like an idea as to what I can expect. I have a 9000lbs towhauler (when it's loaded with toys). I also have a 3500lbs fishing boat/trailer. How can/will the pickup handle towing? I'm expecting a 60% drop in range when towing (fully loaded) but am hoping to be surprised with a higher towing range capability. What is going to be the best set-up for towing? How does cold weather affect the towing characteristics?, etc.
    Being a novice to EVs, I have another question. What is the power inlet plug being installed on the Rivian models. I have seen two standards out there and there seems to some debate as to which one will be the dominant one that is readily and routinely available. I want to install a home charging unit to match the Rivian and want to have it installed and ready to go before the PT delivery is ready for me.
    Third question about Rivian service. Will there be independent service centers for Rivians or will Rivian collaborate with Ford or someone else for vehicle maintenance and routine service (in Michigan specifically).
    Lots of questions but I'm excited about this change coming to the automotive industry (and the world).

6. Mjhirsch78

Mjhirsch78 New Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicles:
    Honda Odyssey will become an RT1
    Teacher
    Big priorities:
    1. Repair when it inevitably gets dinged up on our Washington gravel. Trails outside Olympic National Park, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt. Rainier all have rough roads and knowing we can get our baby fixed up fairly easily when the big stuff inevitably cracks would be a huge relief.

2. Lots of info about charging in parks.

3. Charging stations for our home as a perk would be sweet, especially if they somehow can make using the truck as a battery for the house when the power goes out straightforward.

4. Convincing my wife to let me pre-order rather than having to wait would be an added bonus.

7. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    LOL at #4! Let her know you're already looking at a long wait...I'm guessing mid to late 2021 if you preordered now.

Preorder isn't a commitment, and you do want to get in line, right? ;-)

Mjhirsch78 likes this.
  8. VinsRiv

VinsRiv Member

First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicles:
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    If its anything like the tesla preorders, I think it would be wise to wait cause its not much more of a wait after the preorders get done. Unless Rivian gives out some nice incentives, BTW i try to convince my wife also, just my 2 cents

9. aAlpine

aAlpine Member

Vehicles:
    2014 4Runner
    One feature request I had was the ability for the airbag suspension auto-level the vehicle when parked. The use case here is if you're sleeping in the SUV or have got a tent on the roof or bed. I imagine this shouldn't even be too hard to implement, should be software feature since I think all the hardware is there already.

10. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    I like this idea, however, instead of tying it into when parked, as an airbag can still provide some benefits albeit low probability, I'd rather see it tied into a mode similar to Tesla's "party and camper mode" which is a feature I would request. It allows running the climate control, selective lights, music, and power outlets. Seems like a natural fit to also add suspending the airbag.

aAlpine likes this.
  11. ajdelange

ajdelange Well-Known Member

First Name:
    A. J.
    Vehicles:
    Tesla X 100D 2018
    #31 ajdelange, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    There are no certainties at this point but the indications are pretty strong as to what the answers to some of these questions are.

Body Dings: Get them repaired at a body shop. There was originally a problem with this with Tesla as you had to go to a Tesla approved shop in order to maintain your warranty but that was because Tesla's use lots of aluminum. Don't know whether Rivian is made of the same stuff. This might be a problem with Rivian at least initially.

Towing: It is going to eat your lunch. What does it do to gas mileage on your current vehicle? It is going to do about the same to your EV. I used to tow a small trailer behind a Lexus. I had to fill up 4 times in a trip as opposed to 3 times without it. I expect if I towed it behind my Telsa consumption would go up by about the same amount i.e. from 300 wH/mi to 400. There is a You Tube about some guys who towed a horse trailer behind a Tesla X. Consumption went from 330 to over 500. You can expect about the same. WRT cold weather you can expect a further increase in consumption especially if there is snow on roads.

Charging Connector: Putting Telsa's proprietary standard aside there is really only one charging standard out there. That is CCS/combo and that is what Rivian will be using and that is what all the home EVSE offerings use now (or the J1772 which is the combo part of the standard).

Charging in parks: Get PlugShare and see what's available. Most any park that accommodates RVs has 40A level II charging available. Some hotels/motels/campgrounds/attractions have this too and many have Tesla destination chargers which can charge Rivians. Remember, this is today. Rivian may decide to install Rivian destination chargers at such locations. Rivian would have to be crazy not to provide or at least make available a set of adapters for the common 240 receptacles.

Home charging: There are several offerings currently available that will charge the Rivian. Using the Rivian as a backup source isn't going to happen as the NEC currently prohibits use of EV's for that purpose. EVSE must be equipped with circuitry that prevents it. It has already been stated that the onboard charge will accept 48 amps from mains. The only way to charge faster is to have a DC charger and I don't see those coming for the home market any time soon.

Bells and Whistles: Rivian is perfectly aware of what Tesla offers in terms of entertainment, range/fuel condition monitoring, internet and so on. They may drop a few things from Tesla's list (but not, we hope Emissions Testing) and they may add a few unique things of their own but I think you'll get most of what you get with a Tesla (or other modern BEV) if, perhaps, in a different format. No Falcon Wing Doors, though.

AC in the bed: This is going to be tough one for them to decide. At the unveilings they have shown a couple of 120V outlets. That will satisfy most of the urban cowboys but Elon has promised 240V with some muscle behind it.

Spare Tire: It's included.

FutureBoy61 likes this.
  12. ajdelange

ajdelange Well-Known Member

First Name:
    A. J.
    Vehicles:
    Tesla X 100D 2018
    I did think of something: A Pitot-static system ($28 from Amazon). This would enable the vehicle to know what head wind it is encountering and thus make it better able to estimate battery remaining at a future waypoint.

Estolworthy and aAlpine like this.
  13. FutureBoy61

FutureBoy61 Member

First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicles:
    2010 F150 XLT 4.6L 3V
    THANKS, BTW, my ICE pick up (2010 Ford F150 2WD 4.6l 3v) takes about a 45 - 50% hit in mileage when towing my 9000lbs RV trailer loaded. A watt is a watt is a watt, ICE or electric doesn't matter. It's hard to change the laws of physics.

14. N8DFetzer

N8DFetzer New Member

First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicles:
    Toyota Rav 4
    #34 N8DFetzer, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019

100 percent want Air Con to Crotch Technology integration. If it can be done in a Kia Optima, it can be done in America's truck.

FutureBoy61 and skyote like this.
  15. FutureBoy61

FutureBoy61 Member

First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicles:
    2010 F150 XLT 4.6L 3V
    A must are running/Side steps boards that are easily replaced because they will get smashed on rocks/logs, etc. but hopefully do a decent job protecting the costly vehicle body panels and other critical parts of the vehicle. I've ruined my F-150 side boards on rocks yet kept the vehicle in good shape and really haven't been all that hard on it. This R1T is designed to run off road. I want to have fun with it but not break it or pay dearly for having some fun.

16. ElectricTrucking

ElectricTrucking Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    I want to see a quality vehicle come off the line without all of the issues you read about on the I-Pace and
    E-tron forums. If Rivian becomes just another sound board for problem after problem it won't go well. Options are what they are. I skipped both of those vehicles and am very glad I did. Stopped by Audi Sunday and they had 6 E-trons sitting on the lot. All MSRP'S about $83K. We should stress a properly working vehicle. I think the real buyers have not logged in yet. Mostly looky-loos and those that like to insult others.

skyote and Hmp10 like this.
  17. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
    #37 Hmp10, Sep 18, 2019 at 9:24 AM
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019 at 9:29 AM
    One of the most appealing features of my Tesla is the large Google Earth display. It gives a far clearer picture of the environment in which you're driving than any navigation system map I have ever seen. I like to ride around looking at construction, and on numerous occasions I have taken the Tesla instead of another car simply because it's far easier to see where you are when wandering around twisting roads on the Tesla screen. Also, it's nice to drive around and be able to see what is lying on the other side of a tree line, on the other bank of a body of water, around a bend, or over a hill. I almost feel hemmed in now when I drive cars without that display.

Particularly in a vehicle meant for off-road and wilderness use, having a large Google Earth display of the surrounding topography would seem to be very useful.

skyote likes this.