Sponsored

Why is towing capacity so much different then R1T?

Jbordinhao

First Name
Jansen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, Tesla Model 3
why is towing capacity so much different then R1T? Is it due to the extra weight of the vehicle compared? Really wanted to go SUV route, but I need more towing capacity.
Sponsored

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

I'm not going to try and guess why the towing capacities are different, but what exactly are you trying to tow and how far? I know my X is capable of towing way more than the rated 5000lbs (there are videos of a X pulling 250,000+lbs with no problems), but the hitch and the hardware involved can only handle so much. I've pulled my boat with my X (4400lbs dry weight + trailer + fuel + water + everything else you need for a weekend on the water) and had no issues. I'm guessing the total weight was around 6500-7000lbs, but I was only pulling it a few miles from storage to launch.

OP
OP
Jbordinhao

Jbordinhao

First Name
Jansen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, Tesla Model 3
Travel trailer is 6,700 lbs dry. My gmc tows 9600, I have plenty of room for water, cargo etc. I like knowing I have an extra 2k lbs if I need it, really notice a difference uphill.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

Sounds like the R1T would be better for your needs based on current specs, but you have to worry about range while towing something that heavy. The effects of range and towing has been discussed numerous times, so depending on the frequency and distance your planning on traveling, you need to weigh your options.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Sounds like the R1T would be better for your needs based on current specs, but you have to worry about range while towing something that heavy. The effects of range and towing has been discussed numerous times, so depending on the frequency and distance your planning on traveling, you need to weigh your options.
Lol @ your possibly unintended pun about towing capacity, "weigh your options".

Sponsored

Aurum

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Dual Motor Max Pack
Yeah, RJ and a few other employees of Rivian have mentioned the towing capacity for both vehicles far exceeds the stated rating since there is so much electric torque available. However, he said they had to keep vehicle's range in mind. You might be able to tow 10k pounds, but then only have 50-75 miles of range for the output required. Whereas if you only tow at the rated capacity, you might get 250 miles of range. This is a lot more reasonable.

tscanjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Tech Sales
Think I found the right thread here... Questions on towing boats, more specifically about launching in/out of boat ramps. Following the "Qualified Captain" on Insta gives me nightmares about launching or hauling my 4,500 lbs dry weight 23ft Center Console. I heard a V8 Tundra can struggle compared to a Ford F-250 (or similar 3/4 ton heavy duty truck). In part, due to the weight (light weight in the case of the Tundra) of the vehicle itself. So while the R1S is rated for 7K lbs (which is great) and seeing all the testing with big heavy trailers in the dessert heat (also awesome)...how about Rivian shows us hauling a boat up a boat ramp? Anyone have thoughts on how capable the R1S will be? I'd imagine the 4 motor traction control will help significantly. Risky to try it...should I just rent a truck for the 2 times/yr i need it? Thoughts? #boatrampfails

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Think I found the right thread here... Questions on towing boats, more specifically about launching in/out of boat ramps. Following the "Qualified Captain" on Insta gives me nightmares about launching or hauling my 4,500 lbs dry weight 23ft Center Console. I heard a V8 Tundra can struggle compared to a Ford F-250 (or similar 3/4 ton heavy duty truck). In part, due to the weight (light weight in the case of the Tundra) of the vehicle itself. So while the R1S is rated for 7K lbs (which is great) and seeing all the testing with big heavy trailers in the dessert heat (also awesome)...how about Rivian shows us hauling a boat up a boat ramp? Anyone have thoughts on how capable the R1S will be? I'd imagine the 4 motor traction control will help significantly. Risky to try it...should I just rent a truck for the 2 times/yr i need it? Thoughts? #boatrampfails
Keep in mind that the curb weight of the R1s is believed to be ~5800-5900lbs. That's a similar curb weight to the lighter trims of an F250 and a little heavier than the heaviest trim of Tundra.

The R1S has about the same torque as the F250's 6.7L Power-stroke turbo-diesel and more than 2x the torque of the Tundra 5.7L V8.

Wheelbase will probably be the main shortcoming of the R1S, if there is any. It's just 121", which is significantly shorter than full-size pickups like the Tundra or F250. I don't think that will cause problems for getting up or down a boat ramp though. By old school rules of thumb on such things, a 121" wheelbase should let you safely tow a 23' trailer.

One thing I'm not sure is considered much with EV towing is that the weight of a traditional tow vehicle is mostly at the very front (engine, tranny, etc.), which can help offset the weight of the trailer on the hitch and keep the front end from being lifted. An EV like the Rivians has its weight disbursed more evenly, so there's a shorter lever-arm relative to the rear wheels. They do have the advantage that most of the weight is at least low. I honestly don't know how this might affect things. I suspect not too much, but maybe?

Another advantage that the Rivians (and other EVs) have is that there's no transmission to get worn out by the extra work from towing.

tscanjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Tech Sales
Piece of cake.
Ha, thanks. My Chevy Truck buddy tried scaring me out of towing with it. I assumed, or am guessing, it'll be a solid machine to tow 6K lbs up a ramp. Thanks!

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Ha, thanks. My Chevy Truck buddy tried scaring me out of towing with it. I assumed, or am guessing, it'll be a solid machine to tow 6K lbs up a ramp. Thanks!
I am sure you would have no issues pulling the boat up the ramp. The motors are the same between the R1T and R1S so the weight would not be an issue. My guess for the different tow rating is the shorter wheelbase on the R1S compared to the R1T would probably be more susceptible to a jackknife under heavier loads if the trailer tried to push the rig.

• Wheelbase. The wheelbase is the measurement from the front axle to rear axle of the vehicle. The longer the wheelbase, the less likely that the weight of the trailer/boat will push down on the rear axle and lift the front end. A longer wheelbase also has the added effect of providing more control over the rig. As a general rule of thumb, the first 110 inches of wheelbase allow for a 20-foot trailer. For each additional four inches of wheelbase length, you get one foot more in trailer length.

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
Following the "Qualified Captain" on Insta gives me nightmares about launching or hauling my 4,500 lbs dry weight 23ft Center Console.
You'll be fine. The clowns that struggle pulling boats out are usually in 2 wheel drive with wet back tires on a shitty lift kit.

R1S will be fantastic at pulling heavy things up slippery ramps.

Last edited:

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
SUVs typically have lower tow ratings compared to their truck based equivalents due to a variety of factors. Wheel base, rear suspension, additional passenger weight for three row SUVs, minor differences in the frame, etc. It's not due to the differences in power.

Look at a 4-runner versus Tacoma, and Jeep Wrangler Unlimited versus the Gladiator.
Sponsored