Tires. All Season or All-Terrain?

azjohnny

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
How do AT's fare on pavement in the rain compared to AS's? I ask because heavy rains are something I will encounter in south Florida much more than rough terrain.
It depends on the tire. during the monsoon season here in AZ I have never had any problems with the Toyos
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
How do AT's fare on pavement in the rain compared to AS's? I ask because heavy rains are something I will encounter in south Florida much more than rough terrain.
AS are better on wet surfaces & especially heavier rain/puddling, because they channel water better.

ATs are normally fine too, but there's a lot of empirical data that AS are better in wet conditions (stopping distance, ability to avoid hydroplaning, etc).

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Throwback video (early 90s) that's kinda funny to watch, and also educational.

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Some additional information on the OEM tires here:

https://www.the360mag.com/pirelli-tires/

I don't know this site and no sources are provided, but the writing seems to be mostly from some corporate news release or copied from some trade site behind a pay wall.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Some additional information on the OEM tires here:

https://www.the360mag.com/pirelli-tires/

I don't know this site and no sources are provided, but the writing seems to be mostly from some corporate news release or copied from some trade site behind a pay wall.
Good find!

Assuming this source is legit (I believe it is), a few potential takeaways I infer:

-To get the ranges published by Rivian, you’ll need to opt for the 21” low rolling resistance wheels/tires package

-To get the best grip and performance, and likely to get the 3 second zero to sixty, you need to opt for the 22” performance package

-This is only the second time there’s even been mention of a 21” option (the first being when RJ mentioned it in a recent video)

-The 20” Scorpion all terrains by Pirelli get excellent reviews already, and while the “RIV ELEC” version will be slightly different, it seems like it will be a great option for those of us who intend to go off-roading at all

Last edited:

Sponsored

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
I kinda wish the summer Zero or Verde had been mentioned as OEM options being worked on. In places with mandatory winter tires like where I live, performance vehicles being delivered with all/4 season tires is, IMO, an annoyance: I don’t need the compromise in the middle of summer. Probably the same for buyers in places like AZ...Right?

Another question that will hopefully be answered when the configurator comes out…

I also wonder if Pirelli will make a winter tire for that 275/55 R21 Rivian specific size that was mentioned. I am not a fan of their winter tires, I think that would make me go for the 20 or 22 inch wheel options, as Nokian makes the LT3 (new, never tried it but the reviews seem good) in 275/65 R20 and the excellent (IMO after 6 sets), Hakkapelita 9 SUV in 275/50 R22.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
-To get the ranges published by Rivian, you’ll need to opt for the 22” 21" low rolling resistance wheels/tires package
Larger wheel sizes will almost certainly result in lower range and efficiency, and the Verde is specifically mentioned as a 21.

-To get the best grip and performance, and likely to get the 3 second zero to sixty, you need to opt for the 21” 22" performance package
The Zero is the only tire in the article without a size reference with the Verde at 21 and the All Terrain at 20, that kind of leaves 22 for the performance version.
On Pirelli's site, they offer 22" version of the Zero for other manufacturers like Bentley as their performance option.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Larger wheel sizes will almost certainly result in lower range and efficiency, and the Verde is specifically mentioned as a 21.

The Zero is the only tire in the article without a size reference with the Verde at 21 and the All Terrain at 20, that kind of leaves 22 for the performance version.
On Pirelli's site, they offer 22" version of the Zero for other manufacturers like Bentley as their performance option.
Yup, I fully flubbed the sizes. Thanks for the correction. I’ll fix my post.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
According to the Robert Pepper / Emme Hall Zoom interview, Pirelli worked directly with Rivian on developing the A/T tires for the R1T.
Emme also said she would prefer wheels even smaller than 20s, but it's not currently possible due to the brake size.

There have been similar conversations on threads here. I think I'll be good with 20s, but 18s would be even better IMO.

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Emme also said she would prefer wheels even smaller than 20s, but it's not currently possible due to the brake size.

There have been similar conversations on threads here. I think I'll be good with 20s, but 18s would be even better IMO.
Absolutely, I'm guessing Rivian doesn't want to take the chance of people accelerating hard and not having enough braking power. Brakes and wheels all together may need to be an off road aftermarket mod.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
(IMO) Those massive brakes are not just for looks. The ability to tow (and safely stop) 11,000 pounds at speed (which basically triples the weight of the vehicle) is part of the engineering decision on brake sizing. Larger rotors means more leverage, more room for larger calipers, and better heat dissipation, requiring larger wheels to package all that. The only reason to want more sidewall (by having smaller wheels) is to be able to air down more to get even more traction, and the amount you can air down is limited by sidewall strength. But tires with a higher load rating are already going to have stronger sidewalls. The Pirellis developed for Rivian have a higher silica content for just those strength reasons, and a wider tread pattern for better grip. They probably won't come cheap. Emme's desire to air down more is for better traction, I guess, but those fully independent motors, and ever improving torque control software sent OTA, will make up for that sort of performance requirement, I'd have to believe.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It never hurts to have bigger brakes, but my HD diesel truck weighs more than a Rivian, and stops like a champ with brakes that fit inside my 18" wheels. Even when pulling trailers without trailer brakes, it still has more than enough stopping power.

I definitely think that Rivians would have plenty of mechanical braking that could fit inside 18" wheels.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I suspect the huge brakes are as much for looks and style-points as they are for heavy duty breaking. My Range Rover also had enormous brakes, and it certainly wasn’t towing anything.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I would also point out for long term wear. For many years a lot of suvs like grand cherokee, explorers, gmcs, etc would have the rotors warp after just a few thousand miles because if driving a styles and excessive heat buildup. It is pretty rare for rotors to get turned instead of replaced these days, but the trend in larger rotors and pads has made them hold up better. Possible rivian is going for super low maintenance here
Sponsored