Sponsored

The Rivian Demographic??

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
If governments did nothing well, we wouldn't keep insisting on having them. Like I really don't think it's a good idea to rely on corporations or churches for ambassadors for instance.

On the general overall premise that climate change is happening a lot sooner because of us, and it's a shame we didn't start acting on it in earnest 30 years ago, there is divide only in the slightest margins of the scientific community. And those margins can usually be explained by things like paid shills and Koch+friends-funded "think tanks." If you think I'm full of it, spend some time with multiple sources that are actually scientist-establishment-originating on this one. There's plenty of them.

Liberty and "Balance in all things" is the party platform I'd like to see. But we can't have more than two apparently.

scottf200

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Past Ford Exped; curr TMX 100D; future BEV truck
Occupation
sw engineer
How do you get the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge truck owners that buy them every X years with brand loyalty seems to be the million dollar question?

How to switch these folks from those to Rivian? Maint cost and fuel cost perhaps.

Below:

Rivian R1T R1S The Rivian Demographic?? Gz3FsiW

Rivian R1T R1S The Rivian Demographic?? BZecsTv

Rivian R1T R1S The Rivian Demographic?? 6qhEyYO

Rivian R1T R1S The Rivian Demographic?? z9wqZlT

Rivian R1T R1S The Rivian Demographic?? Rh9fWHa

Rivian R1T R1S The Rivian Demographic?? A0ae1at

Rivian R1T R1S The Rivian Demographic?? g4Ze6Th

Rivian R1T R1S The Rivian Demographic?? Ifjmzu1

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Thanks for getting the discussion bk on track.

in addition to demographics we are at a different time than Tesla with Rivian. My concern is more on longevity of a new brand coming into a market where more SUV/trucks are coming out at the same time with brands like Ford and GM. Rivian definitely has the strongest chance of succeeding.

price can and will sway people to look at all options.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Is the Ford F-150 really almost a foot and a half wider than the Cybertruck?

Rivian R1T R1S The Rivian Demographic?? Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 9.27.35 AM

Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Is the Ford F-150 really almost a foot and a half wider than the Cybertruck?
The Ford figure is probably width including mirrors, while the others (and obviously the Cybertruck) exclude mirrors.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
If governments did nothing well, we wouldn't keep insisting on having them.
That doesn't follow. Most see government as a necessary evil. As Adam Smith pointed out years ago the functions of government are the things at which the private sector cannot make a profit and is therefore not interested in doing. The wise man I quoted did not say the best government is no government. He said it is the least government..

scottf200

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Past Ford Exped; curr TMX 100D; future BEV truck
Occupation
sw engineer
The Ford figure is probably width including mirrors, while the others (and obviously the Cybertruck) exclude mirrors.
Good point. Others pointed that out too and provided at 83.5 number with mirrors fold. That number lines up well.

Rivian R1T R1S The Rivian Demographic?? AjvFwRG

Yinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X / Tesla Model S
How do you get the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge truck owners that buy them every X years with brand loyalty seems to be the million dollar question?

How to switch these folks from those to Rivian? Maint cost and fuel cost perhaps.

Below:

Gz3FsiW.jpg

BZecsTv.jpg

6qhEyYO.jpg

z9wqZlT.jpg

Rh9fWHa.jpg

A0ae1at.jpg

g4Ze6Th.jpg

Ifjmzu1.jpg
That’s one aspect of it, who’s the current market.

When Tesla first came out, they thought the majority of buyers would be from the Prius demographic, not the luxury segment. Almost a decade in and BMW/Merc/Audi are the ones who are feeling it the most.

One additional question would be - who’s not buying a truck today? Why not? And would they?

I don’t own a truck, never have. Based on demographics, I’m in the 1% of current owners. But I want a truck, always wanted one for the utility but never liked the gas mileage, or the way they drove. The Ford Sport Trac and Honda Ridgeline got close for me, but didn’t push me over but I have a deposit on a R1T. So how many will Rivian be able to capture from that crowd as well?

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
The trick is to get a buyer behind the wheel of an EV. I have never had anyone drive my Tesla and not get out of it saying something to the effect of, "in 10 years this is what everyone is going to be driving". I've even heard it from tire shop employees who claim they need to take the car out to check wheel alignment (yeah, right). The driving dynamics of EVs, with their instant torque, silky drivetrains, and low centers of gravity, are just plain intoxicating. You get behind the wheel thinking that fuel costs are the main reason to go electric. You get out with fuel economy almost at the bottom of the list of reasons to go electric.

I think that once a few electric pickup trucks show up on job sites and up-front costs get competitive with ICE trucks, the future of EV trucks will be assured. One of the biggest issues for EV driving is still the recharging infrastructure on road trips. Pickup trucks used for work will do the vast majority of their charging at home or workplace chargers. In some ways, they're a more obvious early application for EV technology than cars.

Sponsored

Mr_funnypuns

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Toyota Prius, 2009 Hybrid Sierra, 1985 Fiero
Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Six Sigma “Black Belt”
The driving dynamics of EVs, with their instant torque, silky drivetrains
Better handling in adverse conditions, which contributes to driver safety.

better performance enables more aggressive drivers to engage in maneuvers that shave time off drives, or thrill seekers that love to stomp on the accelerator.

better reliability appeals to the long term (20+ year) vehicle owner who values less time in the shop.

Performance allows status seekers to boast about the vehicle they own, raising social standing.

Each feature is directly traceable to measurable economic value, either in terms of an expanded market size, or increased margin on the vehicle.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
I'm a Texan currently drives a Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor and a lifted F150 4X4 6.5ft bed. I ordered the R1T and Tesla's Cybertruck, both midrange models, to replace my Model 3 and my F150. I loves trucks and are anxiously awaiting their delivery!
Sponsored