Sponsored

Tesla Truck Unveiling 11/21

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
such a rigid exoskeleton makes me wonder what the crash ratings will be like on Tesla's pickup.
Yeah, that's going to be a pretty big concern. Tesla has always done well with crash safety but this vehicle doesn't seem like it will make any use of structural crumple zones so what are they doing? Perhaps the interior is all foam and airbags, or, perhaps they figure that as heavy as it will be and with it's tough exoskeleton with knife edges that it will never actually crash but instead slice right through anything that gets in its path?
Sponsored

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Surely those sharp lines on the cyber truck arenā€™t going to make production?
With thicker material in the "exoskeleton", it might be limited to sharper angles & creasing.

Mr_funnypuns

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Toyota Prius, 2009 Hybrid Sierra, 1985 Fiero
Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Six Sigma ā€œBlack Beltā€
Some visions are just hallucinations.

Some years back several car manufacturers began to use laminated safety glass in side windows as well as windshields. Reports began to accumulate of emergency crews who were unable to break the windows to get to injured occupants after accidents. Virtually every manufacturer, supported by pressure from insurers, reverted to using breakable glass in the side windows.

Unless you are a head of state, the star of an action film, or a drug dealer it's probably not a good idea to be beyond the reach of anyone in any circumstances when in your vehicle.
I noted emergency extraction as a risk elsewhere. My comment about visionary was intended to point out that as time moves forward, new use cases and requirements are identified, changing the value of features. You never know what man will discover.

Tgat said, itā€™s worth noting The sharp lines and rigid body may also prove problematic for not only occupAnts but also anything the Tesla truck strikes in an accident.

We donā€™t know... so weā€™re speculating here. We are jaded by things like the rollout of summon, and the unintended consequences of auto drive that Tesla is still solving.

Concept cars donā€™t have to be safe. Thatā€™s one hallmark of how you recognize them as concepts rather than prototypes. Another is that they donā€™t have to be practical.

Thus it It appears to me that the Tesla Truck is years from production.

A lot of untenable features will hit the drafting room archives, and new ones will be added. (Tow mirrors, anyone?)

Thereā€™s likely more issues with the concept than we can identify at a high level. I wonder what Amazon recognized when they chose Rivian over Tesla to supply delivery trucks. The poor Tesla engineers. Their Christmas is going to be rough sorting this knot out.

jfrench

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Land Cruiser x2 (for sale when the R1T gets delivered), Land Rover Range Rover (wife's rig)

Sponsored

Mr_funnypuns

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

Mr_funnypuns

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I figured it out. Loganā€™s Run solar car. Ca. 1976

Would prefer something closer to ark II ALSO 1976

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Just a guess . . . first delivery will be to Rosie Oā€™Donnell.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
According to this article, the truck was a clay model 2 months ago and was only half built 2 weeks ago. In my mind, there are a sh*t ton more question marks about this ghastly vehicle compared to what we knew about the R1T and R1S at their reveal. I guess that's what 10 years of planning, engineering and design get you.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/cybertruck/2021/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-photos-info/
Confirmation here that the plan is stainless only, and they mention vinyl wrap for color instead of paint. Due to the straight lines, looks like it wouldn't be a tough job.

I would love to see some people mock it up with colors to see how that affects the overall appearance.

Sponsored

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just a guess . . . first delivery will be to Rosie Oā€™Donnell.
Good thing it has an impressive payload capacity.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T R1S Tesla Truck Unveiling 11/21 FB_IMG_1574443050159

jfrench

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Land Cruiser x2 (for sale when the R1T gets delivered), Land Rover Range Rover (wife's rig)
Right. Concept car.
I don't know. Is it a concept car if what is being revealed will be the production version? I guess I'm confused. The overwhelming majority of concept car reveals lead to nothing or the actual production model being very different, at least in my minimal experience in the automotive world. This is a sort of in between situation. It's a concept that they will produce as revealed. I would have expected much more in all respects, exclusive of the specs they did provide. I'm sure (or am I?) plenty of work went into developing this vehicle prior to 2 months ago when it was just a clay model...followed a few weeks later by the monstrosity that was revealed last night. It all had the feeling of just kind of being thrown together.

I'm all for pushing the envelope and putting something out there that looks very different but I'm having a hard time getting on board with the look of it.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
I don't really expect this to be what is produced. I'm just glad I finally got to put down a deposit on a Tesla truck. In 2 years we'll know what they plan to provide, if anything.
Sponsored