Sponsored

Rivians a target of road rage?

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Idle thoughts: Teslas have been targets of keying, coal rolling, other acts of malicious vandalism and more. What will ICE-holes driving F150s, Rams, Chevys, etc... make of R1Ts and do you think they’ll take out their aggression/jealousy on “sissy” trucks in unsafe and dangerous ways, not to mention harmful, expensive and time consuming repairs. There has been sentiment expressed by some EV drivers that they love their Teslas but not the “luxury” image they present to the general public. And I know that “King Ranch” F150s price out about the same and they’re not targeted, generally. And yes, I expect Rivians will have a “sentry mode.” Still, anyone have concerns? On the plus side, I do expect to be sharing and educating friends, family, coworkers about EV benefits when the get a look at the truck. Thoughts? Discussion?
Sponsored

Estolworthy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti and Kia
Occupation
LEO
Idle thoughts: Teslas have been targets of keying, coal rolling, other acts of malicious vandalism and more. What will ICE-holes driving F150s, Rams, Chevys, etc... make of R1Ts and do you think they’ll take out their aggression/jealousy on “sissy” trucks in unsafe and dangerous ways, not to mention harmful, expensive and time consuming repairs. There has been sentiment expressed by some EV drivers that they love their Teslas but not the “luxury” image they present to the general public. And I know that “King Ranch” F150s price out about the same and they’re not targeted, generally. And yes, I expect Rivians will have a “sentry mode.” Still, anyone have concerns? On the plus side, I do expect to be sharing and educating friends, family, coworkers about EV benefits when the get a look at the truck. Thoughts? Discussion?
Yes! I am very concerned about the potential damage to my future truck. This was the main reason I suggested Rivian provide some touch up paint with our purchase. The touch up paint would be nice to have for small issues whether caused by others or using it for what it's intended to be, an adventure vehicle.

Even though I anticipate there to be a lot of haters and there may be some that will vandalize, I hope that won't scare people to not buy Rivian.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

There is always the possibility that some moron will vandalize your vehicle. I dont think that there is any more or less a chance. I just think that with Tesla Sentry mode and the advent of EVERYTHING on the internet and the news having nothing better to talk about other than hate crimes, Trump, and people vandalizing Teslas, there just seems to be more Teslas being vandalized when in all actuality, there probably is no more or no less vandalism taking place on a Tesla vs. a Honda. Currently the #1 stolen car for 2019 is the Dodge Charger but you don't hear it making the news. But it isn't a Tesla so it won't make the news. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpinDoc7

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Good point. Tesla’s sentry video footage grabs eyeballs and makes news. Still there’s the perception (mistaken) T drivers are “uppity,” or snobs, and that anger makes morons do moron things.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
EV's are stolen at a much lower rate than ICE vehicles. However, they are probably much more the target of coal rolling. I've never been coal rolled while driving my Honda minivan, but I've been coal rolled several times in my Tesla on the same roads. Also, I've never heard of anyone maliciously blocking gas pumps, but there have been a rash of incidents of gangs of pick-up truck drivers blocking Tesla charging stations.

The perpetrators of these incidents always seem to be pick-up truck drivers. Certainly some percentage of pick-up truck drivers are Luddites when it comes to technology. But many seem to feel somehow personally threatened or insulted by the growing popularity of EV's.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SpinDoc7

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Your last sentence Hmp10. Can't prove it but here, living in a mostly rural Midwest state where EVs haven't caught on much, there are a lot of folks still making their living from the oil and gas industry (although the number of wind turbine projects is growing). To those folks EVs may look threatening. There's also the MAGA crowd to whom EVs may look wimpy and unpatriotic. Then again, maybe we should all do the North Dakota thing and slap on a "Powered by Coal" bumper sticker (even though in many states renewables are leading the charge). That'll confuse the hell out of the haters. https://www.eenews.net/stories/1061219543

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I live in Naples, Fl where no one makes their living in oil and gas except service station attendants and propane suppliers. Naples is one of the richest towns in the U.S., and there's a large population of people who work in service jobs catering to the needs of well-heeled retirees. I'm ashamed to say that some of these retirees can be obnoxious and create a lot of resentment. Add in to that a large mix of MAGA types, and we have a very stratified society here. Driving a Tesla is a red flag to people who resent well-to-do retirees and people they suspect to be "libtards". It will probably be the same with a Rivian, or even worse, because you'll be driving a pickup or SUV, which is really encroaching on their turf vehicle-wise.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'm personally not worried about it, but might invest in PPF to protect my investment fro the threat of getting keyed...just in case.

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
Low income “libtards” or “maga types” have been resentful of Benz Audi Ferrari bmw etc for a while. Ask them how much keying, flipping off etc happens. Welcome to the otherside.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ask whom? The libtards or the Ferrari owners? And which side is the other side? Sorry, just not quite sure what you're saying.

Sponsored

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
I’m saying a few people of varying backgrounds are resentful of posh vehicles period. It didn’t start with Tesla. If you have not noticed it before it’s out there. That is all.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

My 2000 F150 has been broken into and side swiped multiple times in multiple locations. It doesn’t have any cameras so I don’t know if the perp had a MAGA hat or an Antifa mask, but I roll with the punches and repair what is necessary and ignore the rest. My Tesla has never been targeted, but I know the possibility is there. Not because it’s a Tesla, more so because a large portion of people don’t care about others or other’s property. Same with a Rivian- prepare for the worse and if nothing happens, then life is good!
Sponsored