Rivian Waiting Room: Have you pre-ordered with deposit?

Discussion in 'Ordering, Pricing, Delivery' started by Electronaut, Feb 13, 2019.

?
  1. R1T Pickup

53.8%
  2. R1S SUV

44.1%
  3. Waiting for more info before pre-ordering

6.2%
  4. Waiting for Rally inspired Rivian

2.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SRTConvert

SRTConvert New Member

First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicles:
    Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT Genesis G70 3.3T
    Just so. That penalty is easier to bear in an EV, kilowatts being cheaper than gallons of gas. The instant torque of the EV is a huge plus. Regenerative braking also extends the life of those expensive high performance brakes.

Jazzyjeff139 likes this.
  2. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
    Another advantage of electric motors is that their output can be modulated more precisely in slippery conditions than any ICE vehicle with anti-skid technology I've ever driven. I've had a Tesla for four years, and I still can't get used to how quickly it will sprint away from stop lights during heavy downpours. (The Continental DW tires, which are the best wet traction summer tires I've ever used, also help.) The slight skittering I felt in ICE cars is totally absent, and the power cycles on/off so quickly that it's completely undetectable. Although I'm sure it's there, I also can't detect much of a power cut, so I assume the rapidity of power cycling is keeping the tires much closer to their traction limits than ICE vehicles can do and wringing out every last bit of acceleration possible in wet conditions. (The absence of perceived effect of wet roads on acceleration is so pronounced that I have to remind myself to allow for longer braking distances.)

If Rivian gets the electronics right, their four-motor configuration and the vehicle's extra weight should duplicate -- or perhaps even better -- this performance.

Jazzyjeff139 likes this.
  3. fastwheels

fastwheels Member

First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicles:
    Cadillac CTS V-Sport, GMC Canyon
    Preordered R1T on 2/13/19 - a month after my 14.1 KW solar array on the new house we are building went online. I will be in the house before I get the Rivian so we can build up some credit with the power company for use in the truck later!

Jazzyjeff139 likes this.
  4. Anthtony

Anthtony New Member

First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicles:
    2019 Ram 1500 limited
    Just pre-ordered the R1T! Pretty excited to follow all of this over the next 1-2 years. WOO HOO!!

Jazzyjeff139 likes this.
  5. MEKNEE

MEKNEE Member

First Name:
    Shannon
    Vehicles:
    2019 Honda Civic, 2013 Honda accord, 2016 Corvette Z51, 2011 Cadillac EXT
    Ordered an R1T in February. I am interested in leasing options.

Jazzyjeff139 likes this.
  6. Brewbud

Brewbud Member

First Name:
    Tab
    Vehicles:
    Dodge Cummins, 2005 Jeep LJR, 2011 Range Rover Evoque
    I ordered the R1T. I am more of a full sized truck guy but I am really looking forward to this truck.

Jazzyjeff139 likes this.
  7. Rad

Rad Member

Vehicles:
    2016 and 2004 MDX, 2005 Accord, 1998 Jeep TJ
    When did Rivian start taking preorders (looks like November, but is there an exact date)?

8. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    I believe it was when Rivian revealed the R1T and R1S at the LA Auto Show which was Nov 30 thru Dec 9, 2018. I've read comments from people that stated they placed their pre-order during (not necessarily AT the event) that event. Why does it matter of an "exact date?"

9. Rad

Rad Member

Vehicles:
    2016 and 2004 MDX, 2005 Accord, 1998 Jeep TJ
    Eye - thanks for the reply. Doesn't really matter on an exact date - I was wondering how long the preorders have been going on and whether November was the earliest. Good info about the LA show. Thanks!

10. ElectricTrucking

ElectricTrucking Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    I pre-ordered Nov 29 2018.

Jazzyjeff139 and jfrench like this.
  11. jfrench

jfrench Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicles:
    Toyota Land Cruiser x2 (for sale when the R1T gets delivered), Land Rover Range Rover (wife's rig)
  12. timf

timf Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model X
    I preordered on 11/27/18, which was the date of the R1S reveal. I believe the R1T reveal and pre-order opening was the day before.

Jazzyjeff139 and jfrench like this.
  13. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    I know this would be a small sample size, but I would love to see a poll of preorders by month, also including "haven't preordered yet".

Would be interesting to see & continue to track over time.

Jazzyjeff139, jimcgov3 and Rad like this.
  14. jfrench

jfrench Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicles:
    Toyota Land Cruiser x2 (for sale when the R1T gets delivered), Land Rover Range Rover (wife's rig)
    Damn you, @timf;)

We still don't know what exact day they officially started accepting preorders, correct? I think the earliest I've seen was November 26th.

15. EyeOnRivian

Vehicles:
    Pre-orders started during the LA Auto Show. Again, why does it matter on the exact date? If you pre-ordered during that time period I think it's pretty safe to say you'll be among the first to get your Rivian EAV. ... Just make sure you report any problems and software bugs you find in a timely manner to Rivian so they can fix them before the rest of us receive our EAVs. ;)

Jazzyjeff139, TXKidd and jfrench like this.
  16. schiavet

schiavet New Member

Vehicles:
    BMW 328d
    Just preordered the R1S.

Jazzyjeff139 likes this.
  17. jimcgov3

jimcgov3 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    2016 Chevy Spark EV, Rivian R1T Reservation Holder
    If you set up a Poll by the month, not necessarily by the vehicle, I am sure people will let you know...

18. jfrench

jfrench Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicles:
    LA Auto Show dates were Nov 30-Dec 9. People preordered before Nov 30 so it started some time before the show. November 1st, 15th, 25th? There could be a handful or >1000 people ahead of someone who preordered during the LA show. No idea how many trucks will be built on any given day, let alone when production will actually begin. To me it's not about being one of the first, it's having some general idea whether I'm looking at Nov/Dec 2020 or June 2021, not that knowing the date preorders started would help in any way.

Further, "matter" is relative. Big picture, to me it doesn't matter. Smaller, egocentric picture, it does matter. I'm curious. It's fun to think about where I and others are in line and when we might have a new truck in the garage. 3/4 of the stuff on this forum is conjecture and banter regarding things about which we have little to no clue. Just trying to join the party:blush:

Jazzyjeff139, Rad and skyote like this.
  19. EyeOnRivian

Vehicles:
    Like the Chicago Auto Show, the LA Auto Show actually is accessible before the public for media and special events. From LA Times, "The 111th edition of the exhibit began this week with press and industry events; it opens to the public Friday and runs through Dec. 9." The earliest date I've read someone pre-order was Nov 26th, which happens to be the Monday prior to the event opening to the public on Friday, the 30th. Orders could have easily been taken during that week by those who attended, though, and to your point, it's certainly possible Rivian took orders even prior to that without publicizing it, e.g. for their employees, investors, family and friends with connections.

Rivian has mentioned it will open up vehicle configuration for pre-order holders later this year. Maybe, just maybe, Rivian will give us an estimated delivery date or time frame once we complete the configuration of our vehicle and whatever else is part of that process. Perhaps, what if, maybe, etc. etc. We can postulate this until we're blue in the face, which is why I typically avoid doing so. That's why I also try to avoid about "3/4 of this stuff on most forums" (though this is one of the better ones) and the speculation and comparison articles that get written, especially as of late since there is a lull of any "official" news from Rivian. The dreamer in me is just as excited to see one of these EAVs in my driveway, but the practical side of me knows I still have a long list of questions that still need to be answered before I commit to ordering either vehicle, if at all. At the top of list is test driving one of them, which I'm anxious for the Test Drive Program tour to get underway. So my mission for now is primarily for facts, not speculation, as decisions will need to be made probably by the end of the year. But along the way I'll enjoy the conversations to learn more about the BEV world since I've yet to own one. Very interesting and exciting time ... at least that's what I keep telling my checkbook if I'm going to afford either of these EAVs. :like:

Jazzyjeff139, Rad and skyote like this.
  20. Nuclearn8

Nuclearn8 Member

First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicles:
    '17 GX460, '05 Corolla
    In for a R1T for now

Jazzyjeff139 likes this.