Sponsored

Rivian trademarks TANK TURN! Now with official video.

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Clubs

Rivian's Christmas gift to its followers and future owners is this video of the R1T using the Tank Turn feature! The caption officially confirms that it will be available for both the R1T and R1S.

Caption: Tank Turn. Available on the R1T and R1S :)

Original post:

Is a Tank Turn feature coming?!

Source: https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20191114/rivian-r1t-electric-truck-may-have-tank-turn-feature

AutoTRADER.ca dug up a trademark application for the term '"Tank Turn," which Rivian IP Holdings filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office on Novemebr 1st, 2019, and then with the European Intellectual Property Office on November 8th, 2019. The trademark is classified for use with transmissions, steering units and motors on SUVs and trucks, the two filings indicate.

Rivian probably wouldn't want to lock the term "Tank Turn" down if it didn't intend on using it in promotional material for the production R1T and R1S and in other forms of media. The company is proud of its Tank Turn technology, it seems, and doesn't want any other automaker to take ownership of the admittedly very cool term before its first products launch in late 2020 and early 2021. After all, why do a lowly three-point turn when you can just Tank Turn?
Sponsored

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Tyker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda3
I think the newer fully charged video suggested it as a feature on a shorter wheelbase vehicle, but there was that r1t YouTube video that was out there clearly showing the r1t doing a tank turn, so who knows

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I assume Tank Turn would only work on loose dirt or snow. Wouldn't pavement require 4 wheel steering and quit a steering system at that?

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Is a Tank Turn feature coming?!
Not with the R1T and R1S. Rivian reps have stated the wheelbases are too long.

At a Rivian event I recently attended a team lead mentioned the next set of Rivian EAVs will be smaller versions of their current offering. From that I would assume shorter wheelbases thus allowing them to be candidates for the tank turn feature.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Without naming names...at NYIAS, we were shown the F-150 Test Mule completing the tank turn maneuver on dirt. That thing was spinning faster than the Gravitron at a carnival. I literally told "said individual" to take my money and placed my deposit right then. Unless I am mistaken, they didn't make a separate drivetrain for the F-150. It was the same skateboard that they make in either the R1S or R1T. Granted the overall length of the R1S is 16.4" shorter with a wheelbase that is 14.7" shorter, maybe the R1S will be the only one that can "Tank Turn". Again, all that to say that I have seen it happen. So if that is the case, I will be slightly bummed but I will get over it very quickly...

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I assume Tank Turn would only work on loose dirt or snow. Wouldn't pavement require 4 wheel steering and quit a steering system at that?
Because the vehicle turns so tightly within itself to obtain that Tank Turn, the tires are essentially dragging under the force of the torque created to turn the vehicle. It is like turning a tandem axle trailer very tightly. You definitely do not want to do that on asphalt or concrete, probably not even gravel, unless it is very loose. Mud, dirt, sand, wet grass, and snow all day. For it to be a perfect maneuver, the front tires would have to toe in and the rear toe out well more than they are physically allowed to turn inside their wheel wells. The only vehicle that I am aware that could do that was the concept Jeep Hurricane. Here is their version of the Tank Turn... . If memory serves me correctly, it was powered by not one but TWO 5.7L Hemis. One above each axle. As well as an extremely engineered way of making Jeep T-box Zero Steer functionality a thing.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian trademarks TANK TURN! Now with official video. Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 11.40.20 AM

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Without naming names...at NYIAS, we were shown the F-150 Test Mule completing the tank turn maneuver on dirt. That thing was spinning faster than the Gravitron at a carnival. I literally told "said individual" to take my money and placed my deposit right then. Unless I am mistaken, they didn't make a separate drivetrain for the F-150. It was the same skateboard that they make in either the R1S or R1T. Granted the overall length of the R1S is 16.4" shorter with a wheelbase that is 14.7" shorter, maybe the R1S will be the only one that can "Tank Turn". Again, all that to say that I have seen it happen. So if that is the case, I will be slightly bummed but I will get over it very quickly...
My understanding is that the extended cab F150s (not crew) used the same skateboard as the R1T. I hope they release the feature, but with appropriate "dummy warnings"/disclaimers that it should only be used on lower traction surfaces, and that any damage caused is the responsibility of the operator.

Even the longer wheelbase can do it, but it could definitely cause damage that Rivian should not have to warranty.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Not with the R1T and R1S. Rivian reps have stated the wheelbases are too long.
This was never confirmed. There was a mention that the Tank Turn does require a short wheelbase, but they never said that it needed to be shorter than the R1T/R1S. And as others have mentioned, they have absolutely done the Tank Turn on the R1T with current wheelbase dimensions. In reality, though, the production vehicle will most likely have some modified/hybrid/watered-down version of Tank Turn (this can be seen in the This is Rivian video at the :54 mark - you can see the front and rear wheels turning in opposite directions).

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
this can be seen in the This is Rivian video at the :54 mark - you can see the front and rear wheels turning in opposite directions
WOW, I never noticed that before, good catch! Looks to me like only the rear wheels are under power, and sure enough the left rear is turning backwards as the right rear spins forward.

Now I want to know more about drive modes/configurations! That is really freaking cool!

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
This was never confirmed. There was a mention that the Tank Turn does require a short wheelbase, but they never said that it needed to be shorter than the R1T/R1S. And as others have mentioned, they have absolutely done the Tank Turn on the R1T with current wheelbase dimensions. In reality, though, the production vehicle will most likely have some modified/hybrid/watered-down version of Tank Turn (this can be seen in the This is Rivian video at the :54 mark - you can see the front and rear wheels turning in opposite directions).
Just curious, who/how would you like this to be confirmed? I'm passing along what the "Rivian R1S team lead" told me last month. Perhaps he was mistaken. Or perhaps things have changed from those year old videos. Perhaps since then with further testing Rivian has uncovered problems that need to be worked out? ... hence the comment from the Rivian team lead ... a month ago. We have no idea how far along they are with this feature being production ready if at all.

As it turns out it doesn't quite matter to me as I would have a very low chance of ever using this feature, however, for the sake of those here that would use it, I truly hope it will be available sooner rather than later. What does matter to me and I suspect to many others is if Rivian does have it ready for the R1T or R1S, it will be an optional feature to help keep purchase cost down for those not desiring/needing it. If not optional, well, I'll just have to find an area to kick up some dirt because, yes, it is a "freaking cool" feature. :rock:

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

This is Rivian video at the :54 mark - you can see the front and rear wheels turning in opposite directions).
This doesnt make any sense though. For instance, you need the left side BOTH going forward, and the right side BOTH going backward. Sending power backwards on the left front and forward on the left rear would be like playing tug of war with yourself.

I think what we are seeing here is the driver is spinning out and as the truck started rotating the driver cut power, thus allowing the tires to free spin based off the rearward momentum of the truck.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This doesnt make any sense though. For instance, you need the left side BOTH going forward, and the right side BOTH going backward. Sending power backwards on the left front and forward on the left rear would be like playing tug of war with yourself.
That's one of the reasons I thought only the rear wheels were under power...tank turn principle, but only using the rear. The rears are definitely powered in opposite directions in the video.
Sponsored