Featured Rivian setting stage for introduction of a test drive program

Discussion in 'Rivian General Discussions' started by EyeOnRivian, May 4, 2019.

1. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    A small update I found on a different Rivian forum that reported some Rivian updates on their Twitter (I don't use Twitter) when someone asked about the test drives.

upload_2019-7-21_11-19-43.png

Hmm, "closer to production." Does that mean the "late 2020" production? Does that mean the pre-production of vehicles that will get built for testing, performance bench-marking, crash tests, test drive program, etc. (which I believe will begin toward the end of September when the Normal factory will be ready)?
    How do you guys interpret Rivian's response?

IMO I think the questions needs to be more specific, E.g. "Will test drive tour program be available before or soon after we're able to configure our pre-order into an order?"

Perhaps someone with a Twitter account could post this or similar question to @Rivian on Twitter.

2. timf

timf Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model X
    I would not expect test drives to be available before ordering begins. There will be more than enough people to fill the early production slots who are willing to order sight unseen. I've been through it before with Tesla - my first time sitting in a Model X was a month after I confirmed my order. If you want to be an early adopter, you need to put some blind faith in the company and product.

3. EyeOnRivian

Vehicles:
    I hear yea about ordering sight unseen, and yes, people have (Tesla as you said) and will do that. That doesn't mean it's acceptable nor that's what Rivian will do. Plus, this has nothing to do with blind faith of the company and product. Believe me I have plenty of that for Rivian. :rock: It's a matter of does one's physical body feel comfortable seating in and driving the vehicle - the seats, sight lines, feature placement, etc. I don't know about others but I don't have the time or disposable money to spend on a vehicle I may end up not being a good fit to drive on day one and then have to turn around and sell it. IMO that would be a complete waste of time, money and resources.

Craig W. and skyote like this.
  4. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    #24 skyote, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    For a new/unproven company, I expect to be able to see, feel, and at least ride in a vehicle prior to making a very significant investment.

EyeOnRivian likes this.
  5. EyeOnRivian

Vehicles:
    It would appear "closer to production" indeed does mean "late 2020" as the above twitter post has made its way to the updated Rivian website FAQ section as such:

"Do you offer test drives?

Not yet, but we can’t wait to get you behind the wheel. We’ll be offering test drives closer to our launch at the end of 2020.
    "​

Then I can only surmise we will not have the ability to sit in either EAV, let alone test drive one, before we're able to configure our pre-order into an actual order which Rivian stated is suppose to become available by the end of this year. However, it is not known what exactly "configuring one's pre-order" means with regard to any financial commitment, if any. It also begs the question what is the status and details of the test drive program.

Personally this is not welcomed news and unfortunately takes me a step in the direction to potentially either cancel my pre-order or at least delay configuring my EAV (assuming that's possible) until I can do a test drive.

IMO I think it would go a long way if Rivian could make available (at least to those who have submitted a pre-order) on what to expect between now and receiving one's EAV. E.g.,
    * submit pre-order with 100% refundable deposit
    * configure vehicle and what that entails - e.g. any financial commitments, amounts, payment and/or signing deadlines, etc
    * purchasing details - e.g. additional / minimum percent down, buy or leasing details, etc.
    * delivery process - e.g. locations, timing, etc
    * take possession details - e.g. walk through, how handled if any defects/problems found, additional payment(s), etc

6. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    #26 skyote, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    I wouldn't read that far into things. We already know that Rivian will not commit/promise anything without being fully confident.

It's going to be very tough for them to ask for additional financial commitment without test rides or drives, so I believe it will be before they ask for additional "lock in" fees. Wondering now if they might allow configurations before requiring additional $$; in the very least, this will provide them valuable info about market demand & supply chain needs.

I know it's tough (for me too), but best to just be patient & see how things play out.

Rad and jimcgov3 like this.
  7. State11

State11 New Member

Vehicles:
    Landrover LR3, Landrover Defender D90, Tesla 3
    I'm not sure if other Tesla owners feel the same, but if my wife had test driven her 3.....she would've likely backed out because it was such an overwhelming different driving experience. She refused to drive it for a week so that I could figure it out. Then we went to a vacant Toys R Us parking lot like she was 15 and she finally got behind the wheel. Now, you couldn't make her part with it. Considering how much she loves it now (me & our kids too for that matter), I'm completely ok without a test drive on the Rivian. There is no doubt that I'm going to love it test drive or not. 0-60 in 3 seconds, no visits to the gas station and 400 mile range to go with all the features that make my LR3 (and previous Discovery 2/Volvo x90) the perfect car for me.....there simply isn't any way for it not to be awesome. And at least with the off-road capabilities, will be a huge improvement there too. Can't wait!

Rad, jimcgov3 and skyote like this.