Featured Rivian setting stage for introduction of a test drive program

Discussion in 'Rivian General Discussions' started by EyeOnRivian, May 4, 2019.

1. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    #1 EyeOnRivian, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
    If you're as anxious as I am to drive one of these EVs to help determine to either submit or keep your pre-order deposit, this will come as welcomed news. :handsinair: Here's an excerpt from a Teslarati article dated May 3rd:

"Rivian appears to be setting the stage for the introduction of a test drive program for its first two vehicles, the R1T pickup truck and the R1S SUV. Such a program will bode well for Rivian, as it will give potential customers a chance to experience the company’s vehicles firsthand.

The first hints of a potential Rivian test drive program came in the form of a Reddit post on the r/Rivian subreddit. One of the online community’s members, u/Knight_of_r_noo, attended the New York Auto Show, where he was reportedly able to speak with Rivian’s team, including CEO RJ Scaringe. According to the electric truck enthusiast, Rivian is planning on doing a roadshow around the United States to let people experience the R1T and R1S. Details of the program are reportedly being ironed out by the electric truck maker.

Yet another hint at Rivian’s test drive program came in the form of a job listing that the company recently posted online. ...
    "​

Not to get ahead of myself but the two next obvious questions are when and where. :whatsgoingon:

Source: https://www.teslarati.com/rivian-r1t-r1s-test-drives/

Hmp10 likes this.
  2. Jason's Rivian

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicles:
    Macan
    Good idea. I hope they will bring out other pickups and SUVs to compare live against on an obstacle course. It won't even be a fair fight though since there's really no EV competitors in the pickup and SUV segments (except Model X).

3. EyeOnRivian

Vehicles:
    I would be very surprised if they had any other vehicles there besides their own. As you said, there really isn't a true competitor in these two segments. I believe Rivian's primary intent here is to simply allow the public to not only get up close and personal with the R1T and R1S but actually see how they perform which has not been possible at the events they have been attending.

Whether Rivian was planning this along or finally tuning into the potential of lost sales due to lack of pre-purchase access to their vehicles, IMHO this is a smart move on their part. There has been plenty of comments from potential buyers and even those with a pre-order deposit, including myself, that when the time comes to actually place the order and we haven't at least sat in either of them, let alone test drive it, orders will not placed and pre-orders canceled.

So it will be interesting to see where and when they will be holding this "test drive program." Even though the job posting lists the location of Arizona, it also indicates "willing to travel “upwards of 75% of the time.”

InsideEVs posted their take on this today: https://insideevs.com/news/348359/rivian-r1t-r1s-test-drives-forthcoming/

4. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
    I had always assumed that one would be able to test drive a vehicle before confirming an order, although it might not always be at a convenient location. A good number of people did order early Teslas without test driving them, but at the time anyone who wanted an EV with decent range and performance really had no choice other than a Tesla. By late 2020 there are going to be quite a few choices, although perhaps none squarely in Rivian's "adventure vehicle" niche.

But the choice for potential customers is not always going to be whether to buy a Rivian or an ICE pickup or SUV. Sometimes the choice might be between a Rivian and an entirely different type of EV. In my case, for instance, I have deposits down on both a Rivian R1S and a Lucid Air. They are utterly different types of vehicles, but each has it own set of appeals to me. A lot of which way I go might come down to test drives and how good I think each is at executing its particular mission. If I can test drive only one, that one will likely win by default.

5. Michael W

Michael W Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicles:
    2018 Explorer Platinum
    The model X is a POS to ride in. It's hard to get into the rear seats and those stupid gull-wing doors?? Really? They are always in the way. I drove my dad's x and hated it.

6. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    I have a Model S and love everything about it except the cramped rear seat accommodations. I have twice test-driven a Model X (one with and one without the rear captain's chairs), trying to convince myself it would capture the strengths of the Model S while providing more rear seat room.

While I wouldn't quite call it a POS, it is certainly a bad misfire on several fronts. It has less cargo space than a Model S; the rear seats are barely more capacious than in the Model S (I'm 5'8" and my head almost hits the glass roof, which heats up like a griddle in south Florida); the gull wing doors are slow and annoying; and body flexion when passing over railroad crossings or rough road patches was noticeable. It is to Tesla what the Edsel was to Ford and the Pontiac Aztec was to GM -- too faddishly designed, still ugly, and something best forgotten.

Oh, wait . . . maybe I would call it a POS.

7. jds3266

jds3266 New Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicles:
    audi a6
    I would expect they would give preference to those who put down deposits. Anyone have solid news on that?

8. EyeOnRivian

Vehicles:
    Does anyone have solid news on your expectation they would give preference to those with pre-orders? Always enjoy a trick question. ;):) Kidding aside, I suspect you meant any news toward the test drove program ... Personally I have not yet read anything official from Rivian. My impressions of Rivian is they tend to not announce something until either it's ready or very close to being ready (i.e. in stealth mode for over 9 yrs before showing "working" prototypes, announce attendance to events with little lead time (IMO), etc). Given that I suspect in addition to hiring people to run the program they probably won't announce anything until they work out most, if not all, of the logistics.

9. jds3266

jds3266 New Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicles:
    audi a6
    I normally don't type till I've had a cup of coffee... I'm more inclined to be eloquent after caffeine.

10. ElectricTrucking

ElectricTrucking Active Member

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    If you haven't already posted this comment on the Tesla forum please do. I'm sure your well founded statement will be well received. LOL

11. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Oh, I've posted plenty of pros and cons on the Tesla forums. They're about as balanced as any other car forum (I've been on several brand forums over the years): die-hard fan boys, die-hard haters, and plenty of people who can like and dislike something about a product without soaring into absurd hyperbole. The two die-hard camps dominated in the early days of the Tesla forums, but as the public experience with EVs has evolved, the cadre of more balanced commentators has grown.

Although there are a couple of people on this Rivian forum that seem pre-disposed to dismiss EVs, it has generally benefited by the maturing of understanding about EVs, and it is one of the saner and more truly informative of the auto forums I've seen. It'll be interesting to see where it goes once the products actually get into people's hands.

12. ElectricTrucking

ElectricTrucking Active Member

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    Yes indeed.