Rivian Servicing & Repairs?

Discussion in 'Rivian General Discussions' started by Lil'O Annie, Jan 18, 2019.

1. PoorPilot

PoorPilot Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2018 Model X / R1T & R1S Reservation Holder
    RJ made the comment early on (soon after the unveiling) that he was interested in making a portable solar panel that would sit over the bed of the R1T for extremely remote charging. Just FYI.

Second, I'm 6' and have no problem sitting in the second row of my X. The third row is tight, but perfect for young kids. I've never heard of any X's cracking their windshields due to lack of rigidity either, but I'm not an expert.

2. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
    Lucid Motors is also planning lidar for the Air sedan, and Faraday Future was going to use it. Musk argues that it is costly without adding information that cannot be gathered with cameras and sensors, so Tesla is reportedly not exploring it. I don't understand the technology enough to have an opinion one way or the other.

Right now the largest single cost component of EV's is the battery pack. Due to their weight and aerodynamics, Rivians are having to use the biggest ones yet put in consumer vehicles. All other things being equal, that factor alone is going to keep Rivian fairly high up the price ladder for SUV's, at least until kW unit costs come down considerably further.

I, too, am rooting for them.

3. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    The windshield cracking was reported on the Tesla forums soon after the introduction of the Model X. I haven't heard of any recent incidents, but I no longer follow the Tesla forums closely. I drive a Model S, which feels as rigid as any car I have owned and more so than many. You have to cross a railroad track to get to the Tesla dealership in Dania Beach, Florida. When I drive my Model S over that track, I don't get any cowl shake or squeaking at all. When I have driven the Model X over that same track, I get both.

I am not saying I could not fit in the Model X back seat. But, short and old as I am, I like to stretch out a bit. I couldn't do it comfortably in the backseat as I can in my Odyssey, or in the backseats of the Mercedes S-classes and BMW 7 series that friends drive. For a vehicle of the exterior dimensions of the Model X and the miniaturization of the drive train that electric motors afford, I was surprised by having to sit so upright with my lower legs kept nearly vertical.

4. binny

binny Member

Vehicles:
    prius prime
    The outdoor adventure market includes "preppers." Ignore them at your own peril, I say.
    For them a solar powerhouse would be a no-brainer, even dedicating the entire rear bed to achieving such a goal.
    What if the grid goes down? What's the possibility of a rogue attack causing an EMP with utter chaos following? Personally I would like to believe Rivian trucks would be one of the few capable of operating in such a harsh environment.
    Follow the money. Give preppers what they want.

5. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Binny, I don't think you've quite digested the fact that it would take a huge solar array and an extended period of time to put enough range into a three-ton vehicle to do any good, even in ideal conditions. There's a lot of winter weather up your way. Given how much EV range is lost in cold weather and how iffy solar generation becomes in bad weather, the logistics of portable solar charging become even more daunting. If your concern is to stay mobile on short notice in the aftermath of some disaster, you'd be a lot better off hiding a large gasoline storage tank somewhere and carrying the equipment to pump gasoline out of the tanks at abandoned gas stations.

I doubt if the fate of any EV manufacturers is going to hinge on their ability to serve the prepper market.

Aurum and sdTom like this.
  6. DocTwinkie

DocTwinkie Well-Known Member

First Name:
    George
    Vehicles:
    2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60
    Solar charging on a scale to replenish the battery for driving isn’t practical.

Let’s say you have the 180kwh pack. That’s 180,000 watt hours.

6 100wh panels would cover the entire car and more (and weight about 200lbs). So even in the best conditions it will take 300hrs or assuming at least 12hrs of daylight a day, 25 days to fully charge.

That’s a best case scenario. In reality expect half that efficiency and plan about two months to fully charge.

If you’re using solar on your house and only topping off the battery after a few days then sure. But portable. Not there yet.

Aurum and Hmp10 like this.
  7. HMBxplore

HMBxplore Member

First Name:
    Scotty
    Vehicles:
    2004.5 Dodge Ram
    Didn’t Rivian recently start talks with GM? Maybe they will handle service, AND use the “Skateboard” for their Silverado.....

8. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    What GM is up to with Rivian is very murky. Reports are that GM is investing in Rivian in the current funding round that is being led by Amazon. However, purely as a financial investment, most analysts don't see it as the best use of GM's capital. GM itself has stayed mum publicly to date. So speculation is that GM may be considering using the Rivian platform for some of its own products, or may be hoping to become a major supplier to Rivian, or some combination of both. I haven't seen anyone suggest a service angle to the relationship, but that's as tenable as any of the other speculation.

From the GM perspective, making its idled factories available for Rivian production could bring some advantages, but Rivian is going to have plenty of capacity at its Normal, IL plant for the foreseeable future.

GM's head of global manufacturing recently moved to Amazon, but whether that's part of a deck reshuffling related either to GM's or Amazon's aspirations in the EV space is anyone's guess. More likely is that Bezos just put a big bag on money on the table to get her for his own fleet strategy.

9. VValleyEV

VValleyEV Member

First Name:
    Rollin
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    I will be 74. I used to think that was old. Now I am thinking, why not, I bet this thing will run rings around my Jeep Rubicon, and be a decent road trip machine besides. And it might be better at avoiding trees along the trail than I am.

10. binny

binny Member

Vehicles:
    prius prime
    I relayed that sentiment to the youthful Rivian reps at the NY pre-order invite last week. I told the gal "Zab" (I'm sure her summers are endless, her life indestructible) that I was 66.
    I said Rivian's decision to release the end of next year, that's a freakin' LONG time for us.

11. CappyJax

CappyJax Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Subaru Forester
    I noticed Rivian is now referring to the 2021 Rivian, and not the 2020. So, I think first deliveries will be in 2021. And even then, I suspect they will only make a few thousand the first year. I wish they would have given me a number when I order one so I know where I was in the queue.

12. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    #52 EyeOnRivian, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Well that sucks, to put it bluntly, but I'll have to admit that's not that all surprising given how hard it is to build and produce a new vehicle(s) from a "clean sheet." That said, I still only see references to 2021 for the 105 kW battery packs, Mexico and perhaps overseas. I haven't read anything where this would apply to the 180 and 135 kW R1T and R1S which are targeted for late 2020. Do you happen to recall the source(s) that were referring to a 2021 delivery for both EVs and all battery packs?

13. CappyJax

Vehicles:
    Subaru Forester
  14. CappyJax

Vehicles:
    Subaru Forester
    Of course, all the other manufacturers will sell the next years model in the fall. So, maybe they will be coming in late 2020 but be labeled 2021.

15. krcossin

krcossin Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicles:
    15 Suburban LTZ + 19 Volvo XC40
    I took delivery of my 2019 Volvo XC40 in June 2018, they started manufacturing around December 2017!