Rivian R1S vs. New Land Rover Defender 110

Discussion in 'R1S SUV Discussions' started by EV-X Oregon, Sep 10, 2019.

1. EV-X Oregon

EV-X Oregon Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicles:
    2018 Volvo S90, 2016 Volvo XC60, 1949 Chevy, 1995 Jeep, 2003 Honda Odyssey
    Real Estate Broker
    Well it is very exciting to see the new Land Rover Defender announced.
    https://www.landroverusa.com/vehicles/defender/index.html

My first thoughts were "That's great!" immediately followed by "Why didn't they go electric?"
    The gas engine, future expensive maintenance, no federal or state rebates gives me serious pause for the New Defender 110 vs. the forthcoming Rivian R1S.

I was hoping to develop a quick spreadsheet to compare the basic specifications; Here's a first pass (screenshot), hopefully others can correct, amend, and add to this file so we can look at the two SUVs objectively (Apples to Apples). Not sure if we can post MS Excel or Apple Numbers to the forum to get this comparison working collaboratively...maybe someone can let me know.

Thanks,

EB

Image 2.png

Lmirafuente and aAlpine like this.
  2. aAlpine

aAlpine Member

Vehicles:
    2014 4Runner
    I also thought the new Defender looked awesome, but then like you also remembered that it's not electric and therefore would have some drawbacks because of that (oh how the tables have turned :) ).

Just some corrections/additions to your specs:
    R1S:
    Approach/Breakover/Departure Angles: 34.2/28.4/34

Defender 110:
    Approach/Breakover/Departure Angles: 38/28/40 (I think using the "Off-road geometry" spec is a fair apples-to-apples comparison?)
    Wheelbase: 119 inch

3. EV-X Oregon

EV-X Oregon Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicles:
    2018 Volvo S90, 2016 Volvo XC60, 1949 Chevy, 1995 Jeep, 2003 Honda Odyssey
    Real Estate Broker
    Great! Thanks for the info. Here's a new screen shot. Anyway that we can share a spreadsheet on the forum for people to add and make corrections?

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 9.26.11 AM.png

4. hola29

hola29 New Member

First Name:
    Ethan
    Vehicles:
    2008 Nissan Xterra, 1967 Chevrolet Camaro
    Haha yes indeed, times have changed...I want an SUV and the Defender fits the bill except, duh-duh-duh-dunn...I am done buying internal combustion engines for my cars moving forward.

Compared to the Rivian skateboard, I don't see the Defender architecture that they just made being nearly a groundbreaking. Its too bad - the new Defender is awesome in my opinion otherwise...

5. Spoonito

Spoonito New Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicles:
    LR4, Explorer
    I was pretty excited for the Defender to come out (Currently have an LR4). I do go offroad (not hardcore) so I use it like it's supposed to be used and it's not just a parking lot queen. My family (Dad, brother, me) is a big LR fan base (2 LR4, 1 RRS, 1 D90 - sold, 1 Disco Sport). After seeing the new Defender and comparing it to the Rivian, I would much rather get the Rivian R1S.

6. Lmirafuente

Lmirafuente Active Member

First Name:
    Lionel
    Vehicles:
    BMW740i
    If there was no Rivian, I would definitely consider the Defender...thanks for sharing the Link. I agree with Ethan on focusing on EV vs ICE!