Featured Rivian has four new models in development!

Discussion in 'Rivian General Discussions' started by Electronaut, Mar 4, 2019.

1. franke

franke Member

First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicles:
    Lotus Elise
    Jeep already has a PHEV Wrangler coming in a year or two I believe the rumors are saying. I'm sure they hav plans for a fully electric one some time down the road. That said they could sure use less competition, they've been coasting for years without any real threat but now with Rivian and others they have a lot more to worry about.

I do hope that Rivian creates a more rugged SUV that can go offroad. Something in between the R1T and R1S with a little more of a Wrangler feel would be nice.

skyote likes this.
  2. time

time Member

First Name:
    Time
    Vehicles:
    BMW i3, Toyota Tundra 4x4, Rolls Royce Ghost II
    The more I see things like the less and less I'm convinced I'll ever see the R1T I pre-ordered. Rivian is just going in so many directions right now instead of focusing on actually producing a product. Its all promises at this point. Release news on concrete steps. Ie, ...we made 5 more pre-production prototypes and we'll release official options and price list on XXXX date. Ext. Talking about overly ambitious charging network plans and talking about more vehicles when they haven't actually delivered a single truck is just concerning.

CappyJax likes this.
  3. Jason's Rivian

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicles:
    Macan
    Seems they're pretty focused to me from what Scaringe has been saying. The only instance he's spoken about other models is when talking about the rally model to come after the R1T and R1S. Just because they said they're designing other cars for the future doesn't mean they're going in so many directions.

RivianCurious and EyeOnRivian like this.
  4. dcwilcox

dcwilcox New Member

First Name:
    Dallin
    Vehicles:
    Tacoma
    I would love to see a six-passenger R1T configuration, or else a larger model that accommodates 6 passengers in a pickup format.

5. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    That's called a truck with a front split bench seat. You won't see a truck with 3 rows of seating because there wouldn't be room for an adequate bed. In fact, one of the knocks on the R1T is that the bed is too small for it to be considered a real truck.

dcwilcox likes this.
  6. Rivian1

Rivian1 Member

Vehicles:
    ICE
    Yeah, yeah! :fingerscrossed:

7. RivianCurious

RivianCurious New Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicles:
    Chevy Bolt EV, Honda Element
    #27 RivianCurious, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    thule.jpg I would like to see a small utility vehicle along the lines of my Honda Element. I love my Element. It is the most versatile vehicle I have ever owned. An EV version would be awesome.

8. Alan Burns

Alan Burns Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alan
    Vehicles:
    2016 GMC Terrain, 1967 Chevrolet 1/2 ton p/u
    General discussion, how do the brakes work, how do you park it on a hill with the electricity turned off?

We know how heritage vehicles work with hydraulic cylinders and lines and sometimes a power pump. Trucks can have air brakes. When stopped the Park setting locks the transmission connected to the drive line. A manual parking brake uses a mechanical system with a cable connected to the brake pad linkage or drive line. This can get really nasty if the underbody is covered with heavy and temperatures drop to sub zero.

So does Rivian use a hydraulic or air based system for driving or an electric system to retard the electric motors? How is the EV held on a hill or will we need to carry wheel blocks with us?

Alan
    Montana

9. skyote

skyote Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
    I know emergency/parking brakes are required for safety inspections in most states, so that will be part of the answer.

On a Rivian with no transmission/transaxle, I too am curious to know what other method(s) might be used!

10. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    Hmm, Interesting question. I hadn't given that any thought. @Alan Burns, you might want to consider posting this into its own thread (or maybe within the "One-Pedal Driving in Rivians???" thread since it's some-what related to the brakes) within Rivian General Discussions for better visibility. I suspect others would also be curious about this, however, if this gets answered in this thread I doubt anyone would find it. Food for thought.