Sponsored

Rivian / EV battery performance in cold weather / temperature

GreenMonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB GLE
Any cold weather owners of EVs out there that can share real world experience in reduced battery performance and range due to cold weather and temperature? Say at 32 degrees and below...

I'd like to know what to expect in the wintertime - if it's a huge difference to the summertime for example.
Sponsored

Ricky35

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Occupation
IT
Luckily I won't have to deal much with extreme cold weather but Rivian has mentioned an advanced heating system for their batteries and that cold weather won't impact the range of the R1T or R1S. They've said to expect the strongest cold weather performance of any EV. :clap:

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Yes, I can. We've had a very cold winter this year in the Pacific NW. You WILL see a big decline in range and for anyone looking into EV's needs to take that into consideration when paying for range. GET DOUBLE THE RANGE YOU THINK YOU NEED!! My Bolt has performed beautifully in the extreme cold and the preconditioning features in EV's while still plugged in to chargers is wonderful!! And, I'm still able to make my fairly long trips that I regularly take on a single full charge Three factors are impacting my range: temperature, road conditions AND winter tires. Here's the estimated ranges I'm seeing: summer averages 270-280miles per full charge compared to 180-190 in sub-zero winter. Yes...that's a big difference, which is why I knew I needed the Bolt over other lower-priced EV's available in 2017. My really good sticky winter-tires have had a big impact on range. I'm hoping we won't see as dramatic range-reductions in the Rivians, since we can probably get through winter with the original tires, assuming they are designed for off-road and snow. But, I would still opt for the biggest battery to cover all the seasonal variables that impact range.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Yes, I can. We've had a very cold winter this year in the Pacific NW. You WILL see a big decline in range and for anyone looking into EV's needs to take that into consideration when paying for range. GET DOUBLE THE RANGE YOU THINK YOU NEED!! My Bolt has performed beautifully in the extreme cold and the preconditioning features in EV's while still plugged in to chargers is wonderful!! And, I'm still able to make my fairly long trips that I regularly take on a single full charge Three factors are impacting my range: temperature, road conditions AND winter tires. Here's the estimated ranges I'm seeing: summer averages 270-280miles per full charge compared to 180-190 in sub-zero winter. Yes...that's a big difference, which is why I knew I needed the Bolt over other lower-priced EV's available in 2017. My really good sticky winter-tires have had a big impact on range. I'm hoping we won't see as dramatic range-reductions in the Rivians, since we can probably get through winter with the original tires, assuming they are designed for off-road and snow. But, I would still opt for the biggest battery to cover all the seasonal variables that impact range.
The range for the Rivian is quoted with low R tires. If you have off-road tires, you will lose about 10% of range.
Sponsored