Featured Rivian confirmed for NY Auto Show, with pre-show invite only event

Discussion in 'Rivian General Discussions' started by PoorPilot, Feb 17, 2019.

1. PoorPilot

PoorPilot Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2018 Model X / R1T & R1S Reservation Holder
    Saw via Facebook and Twitter they are attending the NY show in April. I’m planning on being there at some point during the 2 week show

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster Member

Vehicles:
    MB GLE
    Saw Rivian's tweet about that this morning too. I missed the R1T and R1S world debut at the LA show unfortunately :( Let us know what you think in person!

3. VinsRiv

VinsRiv Member

First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicles:
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    I will be there also PoorPilot, i plan on checking the R1S out and asking a lot of questions. Hope i will get a lot of info then I will make a decision between the modelY or the R1S. Hoping the R1S wont be to much vehicle

4. Electronaut

Electronaut Active Member

Vehicles:
    Audi A4
    Please share your pics, thoughts and impressions @PoorPilot and @VinsRiv. Need to live vicariously through the lucky members who get to see it soon.

Or maybe I could try to make the drive from Boston and we can have a first-ever Rivianforum meet :D

THOR likes this.
  5. PoorPilot

PoorPilot Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2018 Model X / R1T & R1S Reservation Holder
    Will do! By the way- I work in Boston, but I live in TN. I’m trying to figure out how to make it to the car show while on a work trip. Won’t know for sure for another month or so though.

THOR likes this.
  6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster Member

Vehicles:
    MB GLE
    Mmmm donuts...

7. R1T for ME

R1T for ME Member

First Name:
    C.J.
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model S, Toyota Highlander, R1T Reservation Holder
    Does anyone know if you can get in the vehicles at the show? I have never been to an auto show before, but was thinking of going for a day trip just to see the R1T. It would be a bonus to be able to actually sit in the vehicle and get a demo of some of the software/features in and around the truck.

8. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    #8 EyeOnRivian, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    From my experience over the years going to the Chicago Auto Show (CAS), when an auto manufacture has a prototype / non-production vehicle to present, it's usually roped off, meaning, you can only look but not touch, let alone sit in it. Sometimes the doors are even closed and you can't really get a good look, if any at all, of the vehicle cabin. (Case in point: Audi E-Tron at CAS, Really disappointed I couldn't sit, even look at the interior. Even more of a disappointment Rivian decided to not attend the CAS, but I digress.)

It just depends on what the manufacture is willing to show. I suspect the stage/phase of the vehicles development and how close they are to going production factors in what they're willing to let you see. It's a bummer but I think I get it. Since the vehicle is pre-production they don't want to show off any interior options or features that may end being changed or removed by the time the vehicle goes into production. I certainly wouldn't be happy if I sat in a vehicle, liked the fit, feal, look, etc. of an interior feature, influencing my decision to probably buy that vehicle, but then find out weeks, months, possibly even years latter it was changed or removed.

I get it though - I'm jones'ing to get up close and even sit in either the R1S or R1T! Hopefully Rivian gives the NY Auto Show attendees that chance, but I won't beat your mortgage on it. Let's us know how it turns out, and more importantly, what you were able to learn / get out them, assuming you still plan on going.

R1T for ME likes this.
  9. sdTom

sdTom Member

First Name:
    Thomas
    Vehicles:
    Audi E-Tron, Tacoma 2004
    check your email if your on their email list/pre-ordered.. yesterday there was an invitation to see them at an offsite event during show. had a link to get tickets. friday april 12th, 6-9pm

R1T for ME likes this.
  10. R1T for ME

R1T for ME Member

First Name:
    C.J.
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model S, Toyota Highlander, R1T Reservation Holder
    I did get an invite yesterday and was super excited, but once looking at the date of the private event, I most likely will not be able to attend. I am going to send Rivian an email asking how the event will be different than the auto show.

Also, sdTom, I assume you got the same invite I did, even though you live in SD and I live in NY? Thats promising at least for me only because I would be willing to travel for the next event, whenever it may be. I was hoping that I was not just getting the invite for being the region of a Rivian event. Wonder how many invites actually got sent out....

THOR likes this.
  11. sdTom

sdTom Member

First Name:
    Thomas
    Vehicles:
    Audi E-Tron, Tacoma 2004
    Yeah. As much as I like the car, I'm not going to fly to NYC for a friday night.. i'm not that baller ;) Besides, I have to save up my pennies so i can buy an R1T

EyeOnRivian likes this.
  12. GreenMonster

GreenMonster Member

Vehicles:
    MB GLE
    Thinking of making the drive down for the event. But that date is a week before the NY show actually starts, would have been nice to attend the event and NY show on the same trip.

13. Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie Active Member

Vehicles:
    Chevy BoltEV
    FOR THOSE PLANNING ON GOING--would you be willing to take a list of questions from this forum group to ask and report back to us with the answers??

14. VinsRiv

VinsRiv Member

First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicles:
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    I hope to attend the auto show with my son, was thinking to write down my questions hopefully i can get some answers I am now retired and not driving to much anymore,i do not have a preorder in yet cause i would like to see the R1S in person. I prefer larger vehicles right now the only other vehicle i may be interested in is the model y. Hopefully i will make up my mind once i attend the show and see the reveal of model y

15. sdTom

sdTom Member

First Name:
    Thomas
    Vehicles:
    Audi E-Tron, Tacoma 2004
    I hope the NYC show coincides with a formal production update of some kind / more info. It'll have been 4.5 months since the launch at the LA auto show by then, with yes several interviews and the branding ads but not too much on vehicles themselves. How about a featured update autonomy, or sales/distribution, service/warranty, preview of options that are nailed down, etc.

16. Electronaut

Electronaut Active Member

Vehicles:
    Audi A4
    Fire off your questions guys! I'm going to try to be there.

Sounds like we'll be able to meet and speak with CEO/founder RJ Scaringe along with Rivian designers and engineers.

Who else is going?? We can have the first Rivianforums members meet :idea:

rivian-private-event-nyc.jpg

17. Lil'O Annie

Vehicles:
    Chevy BoltEV
    So happy for you! Sure wish I could go, but being in WA state is a bit too far away. Maybe they'll have a preview event here in the Pacific NW where we have real mountains. :giggle:
    Here are my questions: Can you turn off the daytime running lights? Does the back window of the R1T open up? Will there be a way to turn off the slow-speed pedestrian-warning sound?
    sunset-view-of-mount-baker-and-mount-rainier-picture-id955967026.jpg

18. Alan Burns

Alan Burns Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alan
    Vehicles:
    2016 GMC Terrain, 1967 Chevrolet 1/2 ton p/u
    Perhaps when they show up in Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake or maybe even Denver I can work it in. If they do a back woods location like the wilds of Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park or the Grand Tetons where I can make it in less than a day's drive I can show up.

Lil'O Annie likes this.
  19. sdTom

sdTom Member

First Name:
    Thomas
    Vehicles:
    Audi E-Tron, Tacoma 2004
    Can likely already answer that one, No. It's a legal requirement.

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued its final ruling in February 2018, and requires the device to emit warning sounds at speeds less than 18.6 mph (30 km/h) with compliance by September 2020, but 50% of "quiet" vehicles must have the warning sounds by September 2019

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds

20. Lil'O Annie

Vehicles:
    Chevy BoltEV
    Yes, I know about the law. My Bolt has an electronic hiss at slow speeds, but it can be turned off. When we're in the back country, where there are no human pedestrians, we want to be as quiet as possible to encounter and photograph wildlife. Our quiet little Bolt greatly improves our chances of capturing wildlife photos, reduces the disturbance of wildlife, is less annoying to other people in the area, and adds to our own enjoyment of just being out there. I'd go nuts if I had to listen to that constant hissing noise as we slowly roll along. Quiet EV's enhance your whole outdoor experience immensely. No rumbling engine or exhaust fumes.

KeithPleas and THOR like this.