Featured Rivian Atlanta Private Preview Event feedback, pics/video

Discussion in 'Rivian General Discussions' started by SpinDoc7, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Skigh

Skigh Member

First Name:
    Skigh
    Vehicles:
    Jeep
    Sounds like a good follow-up question for Seattle. Or maybe they will have removed it by then???

2. Skigh

Skigh Member

First Name:
    Skigh
    Vehicles:
    Jeep
    Quick question for the Atlanta attendees.... did anyone have kids there? I know it's limited space but I wonder if ours could come with us.

3. ElectricTrucking

ElectricTrucking Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    #23 ElectricTrucking, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    This invitation is valid for you and one guest. Not a wedding where invited guests take their children uninvited and terrorize the event. My comment is generalization. Some take it personal.

4. Godawgs

Godawgs Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicles:
    Chevy Equinox; Nissan Pathfinder
    I don’t remember seeing any kids.

5. PoorPilot

PoorPilot Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2018 Model X / R1T & R1S Reservation Holder
    I saw at least 2 kids there, but they were pretty young. Stroller-age and were asleep most of the time.

As far as the +1 guest- Like Tesla Kim (lots of YouTube vids about Tesla’s and probably one of, if not the highest referrer of Tesla) was there with her husband filming and taking photos. She said in one of her videos that a friend had ordered one of the Rivian vehicles and they were going as guests. So I’m not really sure they care about the +1 so much, but don’t bring a party of 10 along with you.

6. TurboKirbo

TurboKirbo Member

Vehicles:
    2014 Chevrolet Volt, 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe, 2008 Chevrolet Corvette
    Yes, there were a few children there. In fact, one of the Instagram posts on the official site was RJ talking with a father and son

7. TurboKirbo

TurboKirbo Member

Vehicles:
    I didn't notice that, but did notice that both sides of the rear cargo area have buttons to control the 3rd row. So, that's kind of good

8. TurboKirbo

TurboKirbo Member

Vehicles:
    A few other interesting things I learned this evening:
    -There are paddles behind the steering wheel of both vehicles. Um, why when there's no transmission? It was explained to us that they were to be used when off road for more extreme turning via more manual control of (pretty sure) the front wheel motors.
    -The headroom in the R1S at least is very high. The legroom is intended to be somewhere between a Tahoe and Suburban
    -Vents in the R1S rear (remember this thing has a glass roof) will come from the upper corner at the frame.
    -The colors of the calipers and the 3D color behind the Rivian logos on the doors (which look sooo nice in person) are an indication of the package that the vehicle is outfitted with. Yellow is the color of the off-road package, though as the cars are shown indoors only the R1T is outfitted with that package's knobby tires. The R1S, despite the color, has road tires
    -The shorter wheelbase of the R1S actually makes it slightly more capable off road
    -The frunk and rear rear liftgates are all powered. I believe this has been reported before but can confirm
    I'll post more as I remember it. Be warned that I cared more about the R1S when I was chatting up the designers and engineers. Also, I was very impressed with the employees I met. Diverse, intelligent, kind, and bought in.

skyote and Administrator like this.
  9. TurboKirbo

TurboKirbo Member

Vehicles:
    And, yes, the coffee cups are legit!☕
    #mynewfavorite

10. TurboKirbo

TurboKirbo Member

Vehicles:
    A few more:
    -The show R1S has the electrochromic roof option. It does not appear to open or slide, which is preferable to me
    -Employees could not comment about whether it would launch work a Sentry Mode like Tesla's
    -Air-conditioned seats will be available and are installed in the show cars

Administrator likes this.
  11. Skigh

Skigh Member

First Name:
    Skigh
    Vehicles:
    Jeep
    ET, I wasn't thinking of bringing yours.....

12. Whmorken

Whmorken Member

First Name:
    Hubert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla 3. Toyota Sequoia
    I enjoyed the Atlanta event, arriving a few minutes early and leaving after almost two hours of fun, viewing the S1 and T1 and talking with engineers, designers, one robot assembly line electrician, and R J himself. This sure beats pictures and videos for a realistic sense of what the vehicles are made for. My big take away visually is that the first Rivian’s are between mid-size and full-size vehicles. They are made for action on and off road, and so are intentionally smaller than you might expect, yet more powerful and nimble than anything put on 4 wheels here-to-for, capable of spinning on a dime, literally, as confirmed by one engineer. This is one tight package, spacious for four adults, with less leg room for a fifth passenger in the rear middle seat.

Lots more learned, but suffice to say — I am sold on Rivian. Humor to follow......

13. Whmorken

Whmorken Member

First Name:
    Hubert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla 3. Toyota Sequoia
    A friend went with me to the Atlanta event. Looking carefully into the front and rear seats of the S-1 surprisingly he could see no cup-holders. “Where are they,” he said to himself. We then asked the Rivian staff member standing there to find them for us, if he could. He, the staffer, sat in the front seat chagrined to discover there were none. “No cup-holders.” Glancing up I saw R. J. standing near by talking to people at the front of a small line forming in front of him. We joined the line. Yes we did, we had a technical question to ask “the” founder. Note: my friend owned a large new SUV with dozens of cup-holders. First, a comment, “Can’t find ‘em”, he told the CEO. Smiling, nonplussed, R. J replied, “Did you check with the staff member?” “Yes”, said friend. “Let’s go, follow me,” replied R. J. moving into the crowd to the S-1. Pausing briefly to greet and visit other guests, he then began his search by sitting in the passenger seat and feeling with his hand for cup-holders, finding none. UGH. “They belong there”. We laughed. Friend followed up with a tire question.... What a memorable interchange — with R. J. knocking it out of the park, in my opinion, getting quickly to the bottom of a simple omission important to my friend. Where are all the Rivian cup-holders?

14. jimcgov3

jimcgov3 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicles:
    2016 Chevy Spark EV, Rivian R1T Reservation Holder
    There is no way I can type this without it coming across like a jerk so I will put an emoji after I say, they are the R1T and R1S, not the other way around. :giggle:

Also, I am curious to know if they in fact did not have cup holders. Did RJ never show you? I know for a fact that in the R1T, they are under the wireless charging pad in the armrest sliding out like a hidden drawer and there are 2 on the flipdown armrest in the backseat that slide out the same way. Maybe the R1S is that different, but from a mass production standpoint, I am not sure why they would be. Attached is a picture from their Instagram with the front cupholders in the R1T.

:movember:

Screenshot_20190920-071153_Instagram.jpg

skyote likes this.
  15. Whmorken

Whmorken Member

First Name:
    Hubert
    Vehicles:
    Tesla 3. Toyota Sequoia
    When the electrician and R J both searched for them in the R1S , they could not find them, and they each made more than a cursory look. The electrician investigated the back seats as well. It’s the humor of it all that we enjoyed, a blue collar guy and the CEO, each breaking stride to personally investigate the missing or hidden (concealed?) amenity. Go Rivian.

16. ElectricTrucking

ElectricTrucking Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911
    I always carry two cup holders with me no matter where I go.

JessC, skyote and Whmorken like this.
  17. JessC

JessC Member

First Name:
    Jessica
    Vehicles:
    Tesla model X, Ford vehicles (diesel & gas), reserved R1T
    Yes, we saw a few groups of children. Both infants and children in the 3-9 years age range. It's worth mentioning must that the children in attendance were very well behaved. Although our children would've liked attending, I'm not sure that they would've been as calm...lol

18. stevegshi

stevegshi Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model 3, Ram 1500
    Electrical Engr. & Contractor, Master Electrician
    Yes, I noticed it too and took a picture of it. I asked them the same question and they did not know. o_O

2019-09-13 20.07.17.jpg

19. stevegshi

stevegshi Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model 3, Ram 1500
    Electrical Engr. & Contractor, Master Electrician
    I asked them what are likely to be options on the R1T. The guy said that the R1T on display is probably fully loaded and they are currently reviewing all options. He took the electronic trunk bed cover for example and said that would probably be an option kit.

2019-09-13 19.21.26.jpg

20. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
    Maybe one is for the window and one for the door lock? It would be odd to have them look the same, but I don't see a door lock button anywhere else on the door panel . . . unless it's the long bar ahead of the two switches?