Rivian approach, departure and breakover angles would be class leading

RefugeEV

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Cayenne
Was studying the R1T specs sheet and was curious how the approach angle, departure angle and breakover angle compare to midsize pickups. Turns out that if the production R1T matches these specs, it'll be nearly class leading across the board (with exception of approach angle which is virtually class leading). Not that I'll be rock crawling much in mine but it's good too know the capability is there.

R1T Approach Angle: 34
R1T Departure Angle: 30
R1T Breakover Angle: 26 (29 for R1S)

Tacoma TRD Pro Approach Angle: 35
Tacoma TRD Pro Departure Angle: 19.1
Tacoma TRD Pro Breakover Angle: 23.9

Ranger 4x4 Approach Angle: 28.7
Ranger 4x4 Supercrew Departure Angle: 25.4
Ranger 4x4 Supercrew Breakover Angle: 21.5

Colorado ZR2 Approach Angle: 30
Colorado ZR2 Departure Angle: 23.5
Colorado ZR2 Breakover Angle: 23.5

Oh and btw none of them come even close to 0-60 in 3.0 seconds ;)

Kudos btw to Rivian for releasing such a detailed specs sheet. It's unusually detailed for concept vehicles, which I take as a positive sign that the production R1T and R1S will stick pretty closely to these specs.
Sponsored

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
Cool but 99.9% of owners will never come close to using these specs. Marketing dept loves this stuff though.

ACDC

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Outback, 2012 Tacoma
Good to know I'll be "upgrading" my Taco!

Cool but 99.9% of owners will never come close to using these specs. Marketing dept loves this stuff though.
I love this stuff too :) How many of us come close to utilizing the limits of our cars anyway. But nice knowing they were engineered to be able to do it.

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
Marketing knows you do and that’s why they push it:like:. They try to sell stuff that people don’t need but want it. (200+ mph sports cars, apple latest and greatest etc.)

Tacoma upgrade for sure!:muscle:

bathbunny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 RWD LR, first-production
Was studying the R1T specs sheet and was curious how the approach angle, departure angle and breakover angle compare to midsize pickups. Turns out that if the production R1T matches these specs, it'll be nearly class leading across the board (with exception of approach angle which is virtually class leading). Not that I'll be rock crawling much in mine but it's good too know the capability is there.

R1T Approach Angle: 34
R1T Departure Angle: 30
R1T Breakover Angle: 26 (29 for R1S)

Tacoma TRD Pro Approach Angle: 35
Tacoma TRD Pro Departure Angle: 19.1
Tacoma TRD Pro Breakover Angle: 23.9

Ranger 4x4 Approach Angle: 28.7
Ranger 4x4 Supercrew Departure Angle: 25.4
Ranger 4x4 Supercrew Breakover Angle: 21.5

Colorado ZR2 Approach Angle: 30
Colorado ZR2 Departure Angle: 23.5
Colorado ZR2 Breakover Angle: 23.5

Oh and btw none of them come even close to 0-60 in 3.0 seconds ;)

Kudos btw to Rivian for releasing such a detailed specs sheet. It's unusually detailed for concept vehicles, which I take as a positive sign that the production R1T and R1S will stick pretty closely to these specs.
Rivian was careful not to keep the rear end square and that paid off handsomely for the departure angle -- along with the relatively short bed.
Should be enough for most circumstances, although I've been on backcountry tracks to rock-climbing areas where this would not be enough.
None of these specs comes even close to the Bollinger B1, though: 52 approach, 30 breakover, 53 departure! that's the SUT, not the pickup;
the long bed (much longer than the R1T's) on the B2 pickup version seriously reduces breakover and departure: 52 approach, 25 breakover, 28 departure, just a smidge under the R1T.
Sponsored