Featured Revealed: Rivian Patent For Auxiliary Battery Module To Achieve 400+ Miles Range

Discussion in 'R1T Pickup Discussions' started by Administrator, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Rivolt

Rivolt New Member

Vehicles:
    Grand Cherokee
    A forklift?? Did they say how heavy this battery is? When I read auxiliary I was hoping truly portable.

2. RefugeEV

RefugeEV Active Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicles:
    2013 Cayenne
    Rivian just tweeted this reassurance that the longest range model with the largest battery pack can go over 400 miles, meaning the auxiliary battery isn't required to reach over 400 miles.

3. JB Segard

JB Segard New Member

First Name:
    JB
    Vehicles:
    Renault Zoe
    #23 JB Segard, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Yes, an add-on powerbank on demand is a really good solution to occasional peak range demand.
    Another option for the same is to use EP Tender's Battery as a Service trailers.
    See www.eptender.com
    The idea of removable add-on battery pack doesn't seem entirely new: FR3014035
    "ENSEMBLE AMOVIBLE DE BATTERIE POUR UN VEHICULE AUTOMOBILE ELECTRIQUE COMPORTANT UN RESERVOIR D'APPOINT"

4. PoorPilot

PoorPilot Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2018 Model X / R1T & R1S Reservation Holder
    That’s an interesting product, but the Rivian auxiliary battery would be a semi-permanent battery pack, not a trailer.

5. THOR

THOR Member

First Name:
    Thor
    Vehicles:
    VW wagon
    I would put this on when I put on the winter tires. To fight back on the loss to cold weather. Take it off in summer to have more room and lighter load.
    Looks like a great option. I wonder how much it will cost.

6. VValleyEV

VValleyEV Member

First Name:
    Rollin
    Vehicles:
    Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Yeah, I think it is pretty clear the 185kwh pack will mean 400-mile range without any additional battery packs, and that this future option for R1T might extend it to 500, or more likely hold it at 400 miles when you are towing a big travel trailer, in which case you don’t need much storage in the bed anyway.

7. Hmp10

Hmp10 Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
    How will they handle the cooling of an auxiliary battery pack? The permanent packs have a rather elaborate cooling system.

8. franke

franke Member

First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicles:
    Lotus Elise
    The patent describes it a little albeit somewhat light on details, but it sounds like it's all built in to the module. Probably partially why it's so large too.

"The auxiliary battery module includes an integrated cooling system for cooling itself during operation of the electric vehicle including a conduit therein for circulating coolant."

Hmp10 likes this.
  9. THOR

THOR Member

First Name:
    Thor
    Vehicles:
    VW wagon
    until you start towing. it want's a bigger battery, imo

10. RefugeEV

RefugeEV Active Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicles:
    2013 Cayenne
    Since Rivian advertises the R1T and R1S as "Electric Adventure Vehicles" a modular extended battery idea makes a lot of sense. This way they can truly be put to "adventure" use and taken into even more remote areas without range anxiety.

I wonder what the business plan for this auxiliary battery will be tho - will it be sold as an accessory for more permanent capacity and/or perhaps Rivian will rent these batteries out for owners who need it for one-time use?

11. EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Mitsubishi Endeavor, pre-ordered R1S but may change to R1T
    That's a real interesting idea about renting the aux battery. Cost and logistics would obviously be large factors. Like where are the available aux batteries stored, do they need to be shipped, does a pro need to install them, how long does the process take meaning how much time in advance do you need to reserve one, is there a min/max time to rent them, etc.

What's also interesting about this idea of renting is the possibility of a third option. A Rivian owner decides not to initially get an aux battery as they see potential in renting them later on. After a few rentals, out comes the calculator. Owner determines the frequency of needing the aux battery, and factoring in less cargo space and increased weight of the aux battery, it now makes sense to buy one. So instead of renting an aux battery, will Rivian (or OEM?) provide a means to buy an aux battery *after* the initial purchase.

12. HMBxplore

HMBxplore Member

First Name:
    Scotty
    Vehicles:
    2004.5 Dodge Ram
    I was thinking about cheating with a little Honda generator as emergency backup for my week long trips into the Mojave or Death Valley... not sure I’d want to give up the cargo space for that huge auxiliary battery. Now if I were towing a travel trailer out to Yellowstone or something.... that’s where that auxiliary battery will shine. I think I’d like to have some type of solar setup regardless. Maybe on a roof rack, or hard shell RTT